New Nevermore album - TGE

nothing ... and I mean nothing ... beats the overhype that MASTODON gets ... now there is a band that is bound for obscurity once their major label debut is out and forgotten ... save your $$$ fellas.

JayKeeley said:
New Arch Enemy blows chunks. Seriously, it is just boring drivel. In fact, it's shocking as to how bored the band sounds, you literally come out of the listening experience wanting your 30 minutes of life back. Granted I've only listened to it once, but my goat, there is nothing in there that makes me want to go back.
I'm 100% with you on this one.

JayKeeley said:
...also, why quality of production became more important than songwriting in the Nevermore world is beyond me. Polished sound means squat if you can't hold the listener's attention.
I don't think it was ever an issue of the sound quality being more important. Song quality is something completely in the band's control, sound quality is not. I think we've been over this ad nauseum, so I won't belabour the point. Suffice it to say, that the issue here was more than one of less than stellar production.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
With that said, the rest of the album though falls into the same trap I've always encountered with the band, it's all too "same same".
I don't get that sense when listening to the CD. I think it's as varied as any other Nevermore release, which is to say, it's very varied.

JayKeeley said:
Loomis gives Romeo a run for his money.
They are 1A and 1B in respect to current day guitar gods.

JayKeeley said:
And Dane...that chorus on "Born..." is just phenomenal. Why can't he sing a melodious section on all the songs? You can lift that man's vocals from one track and simply throw them on to any random Nevermore song.
Odd. The thing I love most about Dane is how no two lines he delivers ever sound the same.

JayKeeley said:
Go from track 1 to track 2 and you sense an immediate loss of creativity. "Final Product" as a song is just boring as hell.
Absolutely love "The Final Product".

Zod

JayKeeley said:
I guarantee every fanboy in the world will love the new album.
Huh? Is it possible we're fanboys because we love what the band does, and not the other way around? What you've suggested would be similar to me suggesting that the only reason you like the latest Agalloch CD is because you like Agalloch. It's kind of a bizarre, circular arguement you've put forth.

JayKeeley said:
Everyone else will ignore the band, there's very little middleground when it comes to Nevermore....
The other board I frequent is PM:X. Nevermore is hardly a board favorite, yet many of the posters there are calling the new Nevermore the CD of the year.

Zod

lurch70 said:
MAx go get this guy ... he is in CT :loco:

I know max's former bandmate. We used to eat at the China Dragon together. He's the one who invited me to this board. Aegromonia I do believe his name to be.

Lurch- Mastodon will knock the the speedo's off your thighs.

JayKeeley said:
Haven't heard new Opeth.

New Arch Enemy blows chunks. Seriously, it is just boring drivel. In fact, it's shocking as to how bored the band sounds, you literally come out of the listening experience wanting your 30 minutes of life back. Granted I've only listened to it once, but my goat, there is nothing in there that makes me want to go back.

Re: Nevermore, I guarantee every fanboy in the world will love the new album. Everyone else will ignore the band, there's very little middleground when it comes to Nevermore, or so it seems....also, why quality of production became more important than songwriting in the Nevermore world is beyond me. Polished sound means squat if you can't hold the listener's attention.

They had me for the entire cd. :loco: Glad to see you cleaned your ear out tho in reagrds to the new Arch Enemy.

General Zod said:
Huh? Is it possible we're fanboys because we love what the band does, and not the other way around? What you've suggested would be similar to me suggesting that the only reason you like the latest Agalloch CD is because you like Agalloch. It's kind of a bizarre, circular arguement you've put forth.

He's real good at that. :Smug:

For now, TGE is my clear cut cd of the year, something which I thought would be impossible after hearing the latest Moonsorrow cd. "Born" alone is worth the album price as I think I can safely say by now that it's one of the greatest songs I've ever heard, and I'm pretty sure I love "Final Product" as well (that's song number 2 on the cd, right?).

JK, definitely give it more spins as I can't imagine how the album will not grow on you. I don't think it's "samey" in any way shape or form and I also recall hearing plenty of Dane "melody" lines throughout. I'll have to try and find some concrete examples as it's still a relatively new listen to me.

Loomis and Dane are simply on another plane of existence on this one.

Well....I think it's fairly obvious that Nevermore fans LOVE Nevermore in the way Opeth fans LOVE Opeth. Huh. I think the only time I saw criticism flow from Nevermore fans towards Nevermore was over the "Enemies of Reality" production debacle, which was overblown to extreme proportions IMO.

I dunno, keeping with the analogy, if Agalloch were to release a shit album, I get the feeling Agalloch fans would be more inclined to admit to its failings.

Again, I'm not a huge Nevermore fan to begin with, so I think recognizing that certain tracks are great simply substantiates why I don't like the others as much. An overt fan would naturally say he thinks each song is equally brilliant. It's a matter of being neutral about it I suppose.

whoa, this thread is pretty awesome.
lurch70 said:
nothing ... and I mean nothing ... beats the overhype that MASTODON gets ... now there is a band that is bound for obscurity once their major label debut is out and forgotten ... save your $$$ fellas.
you know what's funny, months and months later i still hear leviathan songs in my head. so i do actually consider them a pretty good band now.

but i can't find my promo copy and haven't bought the actual album so maybe i'm wrong. :loco:

definitely. once he gets out 5 sentences, just tune him out because he'll be great and then say something incredibly stupid.

i've always loved his vocals though, one of my all time faves. i don't know how it's possible to scream that hard yet remain on key, but he does. i just wish superjoint wasn't such a shitty band. :(

JayKeeley said:
Well....I think it's fairly obvious that Nevermore fans LOVE Nevermore in the way Opeth fans LOVE Opeth.
I'd say that's a relatively accurate statement.

JayKeeley said:
I think the only time I saw criticism flow from Nevermore fans towards Nevermore was over the "Enemies of Reality" production debacle, which was overblown to extreme proportions IMO.
This gets into a whole grey area. I feel that if Nevermore released a disc that was shit, I'd recognize it as shit. However, if you're someone whose favorite guitarist is Loomis, your favorite vocalist is Dane, and your favorite drummer is Williams, that's unlikely to happen. Personally, I think Nevermore is the best band on the planet. As a matter of fact, I'd go so far as to say they're the best band that ever was. I love their sound. I love their style. So, do I love the new album because it's Nevermore, or because Nevermore (again) wrote a great album? In my eyes, it's kind of a chicken and the egg arguement.

Zod