NEW NEW PRODUCTION - 5150 and shittttt!

Charles J

New Metal Member
Oct 12, 2008
Florida
Our latest piece of art:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/786150/Sonic%20Assault%20Studios/Harvest%20the%20Deceased/HTD%20-%20Song%203%20MP3.mp3

Whatchu thinkkkkkkkkkk? Mix is done, so no revisions are going to be done but it's always nice to learn a little something if I can for next time.

These dudes are all AMAZING players. Such a fucking pleasure to work with. Only did a 3 song EP type deal this time (tracked it all in 3 days) but the full-length will be done around the end of the year!

CRANK ITTTTTTTT

Double tracked GTRS: Ibanez Prestige w/87-1 > Ibby TS808 > 5150 Green Channel > Mesa OS 4x12 > 2x57

Bass is a mix of DI signal and Sansamp.

Vox were SM7 > Drawmer DL251 > CL 7602MKII w/a little EQ on the way in.

ROCK ITTTTTTTTTTTTT

I'm listening on the same monitors you have (A7's) and the high end is just ridiculous, man. The guitars are pretty fizzy/fatiguing and I'm guessing that's where most of it's coming from. Low end from the bass totally eats the low end of the kick and sounds pretty mushy. The snare/cymbals/toms sound fucking awesome, as well as the attack on the kick from what I can hear over the bass, but the guitars + bass are ruining this one for me :(.

I'm listening on the same monitors you have (A7's) and the high end is just ridiculous, man. The guitars are pretty fizzy/fatiguing and I'm guessing that's where most of it's coming from. Low end from the bass totally eats the low end of the kick and sounds pretty mushy. The snare/cymbals/toms sound fucking awesome, as well as the attack on the kick from what I can hear over the bass, but the guitars + bass are ruining this one for me :(.

That's what I was looking for, more in-depth info on what it's sounding like on your end.

Out of curiousity, how do you have the rear controls set on your A7's? I've been struggling with mine as the high-end can sound so sweet that I tend to add WAY more than I really should.

Hmmm, I think I know exactly what the bass problem is, as well. I added SPL's Twintube to the bass last limit which really emphasized some low mids w/the harmonics + saturation. While this sounded good on the A7's, I'm not sure how well it translates.

Fuck. Fuck. :(

Thanks again for being more specific, that's the kind of feedback I'm looking for! =D

And yeah, I'm aware of the clipping. I used a wayyy different mastering chain here and decided to just live with it. This also may have something to do w/the wicked high end. Sighhhh

Yeah this one is a little mushy sounding, CJ. It more than does the job for an EP, but definitely look to get more familiarized with that room by album time.

You mentioned you were looking for more in-depth info so: For me the guitars are very fatiguing in the core/high mids. Very flat and almost digital sounding. The transients on the drums are eaten from the over-mastering, and the low-end is fairly indistinct for whatever reason.

I think backing off your mastering process, or sending it to someone else to master would be one of the better things you could do.

There is much potential within, but this mix has just been a bit 'over-cooked' if you know what I mean.

Idk i have checked it out on all kinds of different speakers and the A7's are the only one's i have listened to it thru the were the high end is a lil much. Everything else is sounds badass on imo. But i guess better luck to us next time haha.

It´s a fatiguing mix indeed. The singer and the way it was mixed it´s the worst of this mix, really, really muffled. I cant understand shit.

As a fan of this kind of stuff, i must say, the sound is wonderfull, except the vocals kinda. Who is that band?

As a fan of this kind of stuff, i must say, the sound is wonderfull, except the vocals kinda. Who is that band?

Thanks dude! I did have a certain aesthetic in mind when mixing it but I agree with Ermz that certain elements are definitely over-cooked (aka over-processed).

The band is called "Harvest the Deceased". The new stuff is quite a departure from what they have up on their myspace =D

Music wise this is pretty killer! Guitars are sounding WAY too harsh though, some really nasty frequencies in there, mix is clipping all over the place, low end is pretty stuffed up and muffled and the way vox is mixed it's pretty buried underneath everything, it has no clarity at all. Snare is sounding pretty good as well as those toms! Clipping is just WAY to audible in the solo section, it's pretty disappointing, you could've had a really killer mix here!! But since you're still learning your new control room then that's fine I believe, were you in a tight schedule?

I agree with everyone else, back off on the mastering and let's hear it again. It sounds like a concoction of well recorded sounds slammed into one another.