New Opeth album cover.

248860_10150260186353410_7496603409_9002103_5549670_n.jpg

Let the mockery commence.

W.T.F.

Wrong decade Opeth.

The new song is good. I am intrigued by the slight change in direction and will check out the full-length.

Shit guitar tone, recycled vocal lines, the multiple changeups are gone, no death growls, weak guitar solo and dumb lyrics. It's like the skeleton of Opeth with no meat on the bones.

I feel like I have already heard this material before, and it seems Akerfeldt has finally run out of ideas. I am sure tho the mainstream pop audience will enjoy this Opeth more than the classic Opeth.

^ Exactly.

That sums it up surprisingly well. It's shit.

Do you guys usually listen to stuff like Camel, Eloy, Caravan, The Flower Kings, Yes, Magma, etc ?

Don't like this song, but there might be a couple of good ones on the album. Honestly, I wish they would have gone in a more old school prog direction more along the lines of Damnation meets Camel or something similar.

Change in direction is no longer an issue - I think it's clear most people are open to it. The issue is, from the looks of things so far, that the interpretation/execution of this new direction is kinda... well, shit.

And seriously, that cover? Anyone who thinks it's passable has no awareness of art. It's so bad it's a steaming log.

That song wasn't good. It really doesn't sound too far removed from the last album. I was expecting more change. I don't get why Akerfeldt, if he doesn't want to play death metal anymore, didn't go out and get prog-leaning musicians to replace Lindgren and Lopez. The new guys don't seem to bring anything to the table at all.

Opeth can't even touch Camel. Opeth tries to be them by stealing their riffs, and then when they try and write 70's prog stuff it just doesn't sound that impressive compared to the real groups.

Opeth can't even touch Camel. Opeth tries to be them by stealing their riffs, and then when they try and write 70's prog stuff it just doesn't sound that impressive compared to the real groups.

Exactly. Opeth fusing predominantly heavier metal elements with prog was great. Opeth doing prog rock is just boring shit and I don't understand why a prog fan wouldn't just want to listen to the real deal instead of a band that are 40 years late for the bus.

That song wasn't good. It really doesn't sound too far removed from the last album. I was expecting more change. I don't get why Akerfeldt, if he doesn't want to play death metal anymore, didn't go out and get prog-leaning musicians to replace Lindgren and Lopez. The new guys don't seem to bring anything to the table at all.

His choice of musicians at this point, with the direction he's taken, is utterly bizarre. They are metal musicians and the sound on Watershed did not work for me, the drumming was mechanical, the Akesson lead on track 2 sooo metal-ish it hurt. I couldn't agree more about how strange it is, though I've not listened to this new track.

I also think it's a shame he's working so hard on stripping down the influences on Opeth to such obvious degrees, I liked them because there were elements of intricate 70s folk work being woven through dark, violent, emotional music. Last coupla albums there's been a fair bit of *hey it's the 70s let's have a party*, and I think it's self-indulgent.

Has this band ever made any good music or had any good album covers? I'm hardly surprised that this is as bad as I expected. Are their older albums different from albums like Watershed and Blackwater Park?