New Opeth album cover.

IF Akerfeldt is reading this thread, I'll bet he's laughing his ass off man. If people dig the music the cover won't even matter, but if the music is bad, then nothing will matter. Relax.

So with more news coming out, definitely no death metal/growls. Mikael has said he's been bored with death metal since the 90's and this is the album he's always wanted to do. Reporters who have listened said it's like a mix of a million different things; jazz, funk, 70's prog etc. I personally am pretty interested and excited to hear this, my personal listening tastes have diverged a lot lately and include a lot of those things, so I don't mind a lack of brutality.

I personally am pretty interested and excited to hear this, my personal listening tastes have diverged a lot lately and include a lot of those things, so I don't mind a lack of brutality.

I don't mind a lack of brutality, I love some good prog rock
<---------- see avatar

My problem with Opeth's recent material isn't the lack of brutality, I just find it really, really boring. He's trying too hard to be a band from the 70's instead of trying to be something new. And it seems now he's going even further in that direction by losing the heavy elements of the music so it'll be what? Just a pure 70's prog rock album? FFS even people in the 70's found that genre mostly boring!
I still remember some comment Mikael made about doing a concept black metal album, years ago. THAT I would find very interesting.
This new album, fuck it.

I thought it would look better without the faces, so I went ahead and created it.

opethheritagenofaces.jpg

:lol:

And I think the album will always be better off without the music, so it's basically at it's best right now.

Looking at it, it gets worse. Is the queue of people all the fans wanting to get to the Tree of Life (Opeth)? It's a really pretentious album cover - hey it matches Mikael's shitty interviews. He's a pretentious cunt while attempting to make himself seem self deprecating so no wonder they've ended up with such a shitty album cover.

The skulls represent ex members, with Per's head falling off as the latest member to leave the group. I've been waiting for Opeth to make an album like this for a very long time.

they're boring and don't live up to the hype. that's why there is hate.

I don't really listen to Opeth so I can rock out to it. Music that challenges the listener to a certain extent is appealing to me. Every time I listen to the band's music I find something in it that I didn't notice before. It's music I can kind of sit and go "hhmmmmmmmmm" to. Or just kind of get lost in it. Many of the fans have overhyped the band to ridiculous levels which I feel is why they've become so hated among people who might not find their style of music appealing.

Btw I thought Watershed kicked ass.

Opeth is not controlled by the fans like some bands. Some bands do what the fans want, or cater to a certain direction. Opeth flips the coin and goes with the gamble. Opeth throws in the ingredients, stirs the pot, adds the seasoning and spices, and delivers the goods....served their way..

I don't really listen to Opeth so I can rock out to it. Music that challenges the listener to a certain extent is appealing to me. Every time I listen to the band's music I find something in it that I didn't notice before. It's music I can kind of sit and go "hhmmmmmmmmm" to. Or just kind of get lost in it. Many of the fans have overhyped the band to ridiculous levels which I feel is why they've become so hated among people who might not find their style of music appealing.

Btw I thought Watershed kicked ass.

I don't hate Opeth because it's a "challenging" listen, in fact I don't even think they're that "challenging" of a listen... just a really unpleasant one. I just personally have not heard an Opeth track that hasn't been directionless, boring, anti-climactic shit to me.

I don't agree they're a challenging listen any more. Back in their early days they might have been, with songs like "Black Rose Immortal" but now? They're just a bland hard rock band what's challenging about anything on Watershed. The only challenge is sitting through the whole thing without switching it off.

If it wasn't for the heads in the trees this cover would really work. Nice design and art style, but seriously... the fucking heads!

I'm definitely pretty let down by the lack of death vocals. Damnation was cool because it was clear from the beginning that it was going to be a softer album of just softer songs, and Deliverance and BWP were still pretty fresh.

Now, though, it's been 3 years since we've had a new album, so while I'm sure a softer album would still be good, it will feel like a let down.

And then there's the possibility of them being gone for good, which is just shitty.

Who said there will be no death vocals? I think they overused the death vocals on some albums anyway. Why waste a good singing voice anyway? From what Akerfeldt said sounds like it might be a prog-rock record. Same will hate, some might like..in the end Opeth wont loose their signature sound.

to be honest, I am surprised it has taken them this long to do another record without death metal vocals. I'll be interested in hearing how it turns out.