New or Old katatonia? Whats your Favorite?

Its not so much about age as it is about style. And since DODS and BMD is the oldest, its just sort of easy to call it old.

Anders is right... Just cuz BMD and DODS have harsh vocals, i would actually consider BMD and DO much closer in musical resemblance.. Whoever thinks bmd and dods sound similar have to go back and re listen. It's absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to categorize katatonia into 2 eras: old and new...
With DODS we saw extremely unique, brutal, anguishing vocals from Jonas, and raw, structured guitar work from Anders.. Now on BMD, the guitars were way more smooth and blended together, creating an aura of hypnotic sadness much like DO... the somehow dissonant, yet simplistic chord progressions really contrast DODS' guitar structure.
not to mention mikes vocals on BMD sound nothing like Jonas on DODS... mikes vocals are dark, morbid growls that blend in with the guitar work
JOnas' harsh vocals stand alone as a separate instrument almost like an ongoing solo...
simply saying DODS and BMD are categorized as OLD and DO-TGCD are new cuz the clean vocals vs harsh is shallow and rather dumb...

Am I the only one listening to Katatonia to keep me alive?

For me it's not interesting at all if newer or older stuff touches me more. It's like some of you already said - all about Katatonia. Meanwhile the music became a part of us. I'm not sure what do you think but I REALLY can't take any day without having at least one Katatonia-Song in my ear.

Am I the only one listening to Katatonia to keep me alive?

For me it's not interesting at all if newer or older stuff touches me more. It's like some of you already said - all about Katatonia. Meanwhile the music became a part of us. I'm not sure what do you think but I REALLY can't take any day without having at least one Katatonia-Song in my ear.

yes.
i cannot go a day without one of their tunes either

My favorite Katatonia period is from "Discoraged Ones" - "Viva Emptiness".
I don't care to much about "Brave Murder Day"; its to monotonous for my liking, though its not bad or anything. If I listen to old Katatonia, then I rather listen to "Dance of Decembers Souls" than "Brave Murder Day".

"The Great Cold Distance" was and is a big dissappointment IMO, though it has some good songs, like "Leaders", "My Twin", "Deliberation" and "July" - the rest are just fillers I think.
Hope for the new album to be more depressing, cause I don't really feel to much darkness on that very album.
I will proberly get flamed now, but thats just my opinion.

My favorite Katatonia period is from "Discoraged Ones" - "Viva Emptiness".
I don't care to much about "Brave Murder Day"; its to monotonous for my liking, though its not bad or anything. If I listen to old Katatonia, then I rather listen to "Dance of Decembers Souls" than "Brave Murder Day".

"The Great Cold Distance" was and is a big dissappointment IMO, though it has some good songs, like "Leaders", "My Twin", "Deliberation" and "July" - the rest are just fillers I think.
Hope for the new album to be more depressing, cause I don't really feel to much darkness on that very album.
I will proberly get flamed now, but thats just my opinion.

if you express your opinion in a non-bias way, theres no worries about that
your totally entitled
the prob is most people would jsut say OMG TGCD SUCKED
expressing an opinion and just being retarded are two totally dif things haha

As of this moment, right now, I actually like Unfurl and Dissolving Bonds the most. The thing about questions like this however, is that it captures our ephemeral opinion based on an emotional state, and those two songs are where I am at right now. I love older stuff (I especially love the stuff with Mikael, no offense to Jonas) and I love October Tide/Bloodbath as well. In fact the only thing I don't like is Tonight's Decision (and I feel bad for giving it a pretty scathing review at the time but I have made up for it since) because I feel it was poorly recorded and executed, but the writing has integrity. I would like to see it re-recorded (primarily vocals) and remastered in the future, or at least select tracks redone and included in future B-sides.

Wow, that's the stupidest thing I've heard in a while. I've been a fan since about 1993-94 so I like all of the music but I think it is obvious that they are more accomplished as songwriters and musicians now than 15 years ago, So now they are a better band.

How does asserting their talent negate my statement? The topic is what is your FAVOURITE. I might have had part of my brain removed and listening to a talented roadworker using jackhammer might be my favourite thing to listen to. Point is it's subjective and you're not convincing anyone raising bullshit like "talent".

How does asserting their talent negate my statement? The topic is what is your FAVOURITE. I might have had part of my brain removed and listening to a talented roadworker using jackhammer might be my favourite thing to listen to. Point is it's subjective and you're not convincing anyone raising bullshit like "talent".

..it is extremely disrespectful to come to the Katatonia forum, which the band does come to check out sometimes, and say "their new music is unlistenable". I understand that this is just based on an individuals opinion but there is no need for you to be such an asshole and disrespectful to the band. "I don't like the new music" would have been fine as opposed to what you said. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, just stating my opinion as you stated yours dumbass.

I'm mainly into their pre-discouraged ones albums, DODS, FFTC and BMD usually get a play daily. Im also very keen on their newer stuff, viva emptiness is an incredible album and LFDGD also IMO. When The Great Cold Distance was released i have to say i wasn't too fond of it. After a few months i listened to it again and found the cd to be a lot more to my liking. With the release of live consternation, my interest in the cd has been made even greater. I do feel that although their newer albums are great, I feel a slight return to the older days would be great, a bit more gutteral if you get my drift. But anyway i will listen to anything from katatonia so long as the lyrics hold their meaning and their general melancholy sound is present in their music.

..it is extremely disrespectful to come to the Katatonia forum, which the band does come to check out sometimes, and say "their new music is unlistenable".

That was the whole point of the topic - to see what people prefer to listen to. Saying something is "unlistenable" says more about me than it does about the band, just like saying a film is "unwatchable" or a book is "unreadable". It doesn't mean other people cannot enjoy it, just that it isn't my favourite. The band has nothing to do with it. If it's disrespectful to address the thread topic, bring it up with the original thread poster.

I understand that this is just based on an individuals opinion but there is no need for you to be such an asshole and disrespectful to the band. "I don't like the new music" would have been fine as opposed to what you said. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything, just stating my opinion as you stated yours dumbass.

There you go. Calling me a dumbass is much more disrespectful than anything I've said. This is hypocritical.

That was the whole point of the topic - to see what people prefer to listen to. Saying something is "unlistenable" says more about me than it does about the band, just like saying a film is "unwatchable" or a book is "unreadable". It doesn't mean other people cannot enjoy it, just that it isn't my favourite. The band has nothing to do with it. If it's disrespectful to address the thread topic, bring it up with the original thread poster.

There you go. Calling me a dumbass is much more disrespectful than anything I've said. This is hypocritical.

You are right: that was disrespectful and I apologize for saying that. All I am saying is that no one else said anything else close to "new music is unlistenable" in the responses they gave. I would think that it is obvious that when a band puts in 2 years of writing, recording, mixing, touring, etc to create/promote an album and someone says "it is unlistenable" that the band and others would be insulted. Saying you don't like it is one thing but saying it in "unlistenable" is something entirely different and is a "nice" way of saying that you think the music is so terrible that you can't even stand to listen to it. I simply do not think that there is any need to say anything that harsh and you must know that this is a needlessly rude and insulting statement. I am sorry if you do not think that this is a rude thing to say but others here certainly agree with me.