Old Katatonia or New Katatonia?

atreides481

New Metal Member
Hey, i'm a pretty big n00b with the whole UM Forums, but just wanting to know what people preffered, old Katatonia or new Katatonia. New Katatonia (Viva Emptiness) is what got me into Katatonia but then became very facinated with the old Katatonia and vocal progression of Jonas Renkse from then to now....anyways whats the longer listeners of Katatonia prefer?

well im only listening since last fair deal, but my preference is the new stuff, my favourite album being Discouraged Ones, dont think any band will ever top that (style).

It's not productive, in my estimation, to put one's self in a position to consider this kind of thing. Of course, I realize a certain level of playfulness with it...however, the action seems ultimately fruitless. Although each Katatonia effort carries with it a unique personality, there certainly remains a constant atmospheric current running through the entire discography. Though the members have matured and developed naturally as musicians and songwriters, and the production has been increasingly enhanced, the soul of the music and its electric ocean of penetration has never been sacrificed. Old...new...it matters not in the grand scheme of musical/emotional fulfillment. What does matter is that it is ever felt at all.

N.P. : Tiamat - "Visionaire"

Demonspell said:
I agree with Bleakhorizon, this question is a meaningless exercise, and the essence of Katatonia's music has remained largely unchanged despite the aesthetic differences.
While this is true, and again, Bleakhorizon has provided another eloquent and verbose metaphysical evaluation, I don't think any of those points take away from the validity of the initial question here. I can certainly agree to a uniform, unmalleable emotional and atmospheric ethos running through the entire discograpy. But it is aesthetics that allow for the qualification of the whole ouvre. And it is because of these aesthetics that the empirical qualifying of each album really is a severely subjective task. Therefore the question at hand is valid, and a great opportunity to allow for the propagation of many opinions and thoughts by a sect of people uniformly united in the despairing bliss that is Katatonia.

I consider both old and new Katatonia incredible music, something that has affected me a lot. The feeling that every single song creates is unique. That's why I think that I can't compare their old style with new style so I prefer both.

Honestly, minus the vocals, I see BMD as much closer to the "new" Katatonia sound than the "old." I guess I prefer the new, haven't given DoDS or Jhva Elohim Meth much of a chance yet.

Damn guys. I don't understand how you can give an opinion if you don't know every album (heard is not the same as know)... DoDS is a masterpiece!

I'm more of a fan of the doomish material. The newer stuff is great too, but Dance of December souls, for funerals to come, etc is just some of the most remarkable music I've heard ever. I'm currently writing and recording a doomish song since my friend and I both broke up with our lovers and the Katatonia influence obviously came out without intention. A couple people on the net were like "oh this is very katatonia/paradise lost...Oh well, Katatonia is a great band. This my first time in this section of Ultimate metal as well, pretty cool.

I personally love all of Katatonia's music, however Dance of December Souls just has... something... that the others don't. Maybe it is the fact that it is so raw and underproduced that gives it that little extra feeling of darkness and despair. Either way, Katatonia RULES