Old Katatonia or new Katatonia?

Sinne

New Metal Member
Apr 10, 2007
Skopje, MACEDONIA
myspace.com
Which era do you like more? The death/doom era ("Dance of December Souls", "Brave Murder Day") or the new, from "Discouraged Ones" to "The Great Cold Distance"?

I like each album of Katatonia, but I must admit that I enjoy them more since 1998 to this day. I love the clean vocals (Renkse, you RULE!), the atmospheric guitars parts (Blakkheim, you crazy fucker!), the lyrics... EVERYTHING! The emotions are deeper since "Discouraged Ones"...

Old Katatonia(Dance... through Sounds of Decay). I find the music more interesting and the song structures less predictable and more interesting and the songs themselves take me somewhere.

Yeah I agree. I really like their old stuff as well, but I rarely listen it to be honest. I can put on their newer stuff anytime. Like you said, the emotions are deeper and I can identify a lot more with the lyrics on the newer albums.

By the way, I always think after I heard an album: " this one has got to be my favourite Katatonia album!". But I just can't choose. Every album stands so much on his own that it very difficult to pick one.

Definately new. To be completely honest, I didn't really like Dance of December Souls that much; I love Brave Murder Day though. Still, I'm really happy with their current direction. Can't wait to see if Unfurl is a good indicator of what will come next.

Definately new. To be completely honest, I didn't really like Dance of December Souls that much; I love Brave Murder Day though. Still, I'm really happy with their current direction. Can't wait to see if Unfurl is a good indicator of what will come next.
I agree...
Unfurl's trip-hop beats are cool but I hope its not the main direction they are taking. As far as Dance and Brave...i dont care for either of them, just does not suit my taste. Great Cold is their best yet and im not ashamed to admit