Old Katatonia or new Katatonia?

I've really come to prefer the last three albums over everything that preceded them. The Great Cold Distance is their best yet, a pure masterpiece. I've listened to it fifty times I bet and never have gotten sick of it, it's almost makes me sad looking ahead because I know they've probably reached the best they'll ever be, kinda like Tool with Aenema...

OK....here goes.

JEM....not so much...

DODS I dont so much like. They were young and inexperienced, but the ideas were fresh, just not put together too well. I think in this time they were really searching.

BMD= brilliance. I think this is where they began to solidify. When the ideas were coming together and they came into their own, so to speak, as far as being themselves and doing things the way they want. This is where I think they truly began their "sound".

DO= classic
On this one I think they really got deep with Jonas's lyrics and the feelings of both Jonas and Anders. I feel that this is the epitome of inner struggle, hopelessness, and that this alblum is the absolute pinnacle of expressing emotion through music.

TD=awkward
This is a continuation of DO in my book. The difference to me is that they were getting better at their instruments and were still evolving emotionally as well. An awkward brilliance. Again I spent about a whole year with this CD on continuous play in my CD player....caught in despair....yet this one somehow seemed more hopeful than DO, which worked out well for me personally. I think they were searching more on TD than with DO, Searching for what felt right....which leads to....

LFDGD=Katatonia comes more into their own.
This seems to me where the guys felt like they were comfortable in their direction....in life and music. I really believe Katatonia write from their hearts and this one came from there. I think they probably stopped feeling like they were kids at this point, or felt more adult, musically and emotionally. I think this shows on this CD. The addition of Mattias and Daniel made katatonia complete.

VE= Newer but better?
Yes yes yes.....I think it is awesome, brilliant even. And in listening to it over and over I loved it. Something faded for me for awhile with this alblum, but once I got over the obsessive listening thing and put it down for a couple months it was brand new and I could abuse it some more. Production enhancements as well as markedly improved instrumental aspect of this alblum mark it a time for Katatonia which was not only special but a serious coming of age in terms of going somewhere. ahhh....the glory of it all.

TGCD= undoubted masterpiece!
I always tremble before I listen to a katatonia cd for the first time...hoping I am going to love it more than the last....this one took me from the beginning to the end and with time certain songs stand out to me more than they did at first. My favorites changed. This was something that had never happened to me before. I love it more than anything they have done before. I am a production junkie so I was happy they are nailing things down even more as far as sound goes. This one just is CRISP. They are getting so much better and growing to new heights that make me proud to be a Katatonia fan. I was so happy for them to be able to come to the US for the first tour here and to be a small part of it. I learned alot about Katatonia this last year too. I knew the guys were cool but this year I got to experience it firsthand and hang out with them. I got to experience their attitudes and have some real down to earth talks with a few of them. I also got to party (no I dont drink) with them and have fun. Talked with them about the future and family. It just struck me how much I would actually hang out with them if they were my neighbors and werent in Katatonia. They arent just the best band on earth.

hmmm....seems I got carried away....oh well:)

New stuff... The older works don't quite have that atmosphere/feeling that I can get carried into anytime, only when I'm pissed off with the world. The newer stuff, well, I can always relate to almost any song at any given time.

I like their old style better, I don't dig their new songs too much, since I don't like it's basic song construction,based on verse-chorus-verse,their old stuff never gets boring,while their newest does sometimes

I also got to party (no I dont drink) with them and have fun. Talked with them about the future and family. It just struck me how much I would actually hang out with them if they were my neighbors and werent in Katatonia. They arent just the best band on earth.

hmmm....seems I got carried away....oh well:)

God, i couldn't do that for some shitty reasons when they were here in Russia.... but had things you mentioned with Anathema, so i undestand you absolutely, it is really cool! Hope to get all this with Katatonia if they will come to Russia again=)