Old Katatonia or New Katatonia?

i don't think i could keep apart the feelings and the intense influence of Katatonia's pre-era and the last 3-4 albums in a way. both 'phases' are above all very personal differentiated.. i guess in the beginning their emotions had that typical youth pathos, quasi surging on the surface, the exaltation and devotion as well.. now it's drifting deep inside, as touching as before for sure.
a love both!

atreides481 said:
Hey, i'm a pretty big n00b with the whole UM Forums, but just wanting to know what people preffered, old Katatonia or new Katatonia. New Katatonia (Viva Emptiness) is what got me into Katatonia but then became very facinated with the old Katatonia and vocal progression of Jonas Renkse from then to now....anyways whats the longer listeners of Katatonia prefer?

I've been listening ever since Seven Dreaming Souls... I prefer older Katatonia, but their new stuff is kickass. Their Brave Yester Days release was so friggin incredible... THANK YOU KATATONIA!

it's almost impossible to determine which phase of the music development of Katatonia has more influence,the ideas and the way of expression change and therefore the comparison between the old and the new Katatonia is like to draw a parallel between two completely different groups.Undoubtedly the 'old' Katatonia exhibits more of the strengt and the remonstrance of the youht and now everything is more mature ..i can't define which way leads deeper..Listen to the both!

When begins the new style then? I dunno if I would say that it started with "Discouraged ones". It's very alike brave murder day actually :p

So I would say that the new sound starts from "Tonight's Decision".... but anyway. I don't give a fuck :)

for me there are actually tree 'phaces'-Dance of december souls +Brave Murder Day(also the releases between 1992 and 1997);Discouraged Ones+Tonight's desicion(and the releases in that years) and the last 'phase'-LFDGD+Viva Emptiness...and every album has something particular,so it's really very difficult to cast the albums into the ordinary shackles...

Its pretty hard to determine what is old and what is new Katatonia. Then easiest way would be to say that the new stuff began when Jonas switched to clean vocals. Anyway: I prefer the two latest albums. So it would be correct to say that the new stuff is the best for me.

yeah, distort (?) vocal and clean vocal ... actually, Katatonias distort vocal (is this the word for the "singing without any voice") was the first I ever bothered listen too... Why I dont know, but I always have liked Katatonias sound, but I hated the vocal before DO ... Now help me, so I can sleep tonight, is it called DISTORT vocal when you "roar" instead of sing ? (Yes, I do know that this isnt easy, and kinda an art)

Ohh, and I do know that my english isnt to good ... :)