NEW PAGAN'S MIND - TONIGHT ON MY RADIO SHOW!

You guys can relax. Limb put up one of the tracks geared more towards his buying audience (power metal). The album is warm in places, cold in others, and defintely more in your face at times. The David Bowie cover was a total mindfuck for me. I rank it as their 2nd best disc behind CE.

I think they are in a catch-22. If it's not Celestial Entrance Part 2, some people are going to bitch. If it sounds different that Celestial Entrance Part 2, some people are going to bitch.

Cie La Vie.

Bingo. Oh, and Ace Frehley would be proud! ;)

would have liked to hear something new from Mystic Prophecy. Drum, what did you think of their new material? I know they have a new EP out, and a new studio disc just around the corner, but I haven't heard any of he material yet.

I've got the new Mystic Prophecy and it's HORRIBLE. I really liked the previous one, but the new one stinks. This is my review (still not posted on the Intromental Webzine, but what the ****):

There’s something really wrong with Germany, there really is … I mean, not the country as such or the people living there, but instead the whole mentality of making a semi-interesting band more popular than they deserve to be. Is it the media people who have pushed this one too far? I don’t know, but if so, I’m wondering which of the guys in Mystic Prophecy who has been licking the asses of the collected German press, because Mystic Prophecy is getting all too much attention for such a mediocre band. Okay, I actually thought their previous disc, “Savage Souls”, was really good, so the band must be capable of doing something right, but with their new album “Satanic Curses” they are doing everything oh-so-wrong. First off: the band needs to find a new singer as R.D. Liapakis is very limited (he stays within the one-octave range throughout the entire disc, plus he is letting more air out of his vocal chords than actual singing, which makes him sound like he is screaming) and after a few songs he is simply too annoying to listen to. Secondly, they really should start thinking about finding a new lyrical inspiration, as the theme of Satan, demons and dark forces have been done too many times in the past by way too many bands. Oh, and while we’re at the topic of lyrics: this is 2007 and NOONE (I repeat: NOONE) should write a song called “Rock The Night” and sing about “We’ll rock your soul, we’ll rock your world” unless it is a clear joke! And finally – when a young band starts out, it’s okay to do a cover version of something as old-school and simple as Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid”, but when you’re on your 5th full length album and you have a name in the biz, you really shouldn’t do something as clichee as that. Mystic Prophecy is not my fave-band, I guess that’s quite obvious from this review, but they do occassionally come up with some good riffs, and as mentioned earlier on they actually made a really strong album 1½ year ago. But man, I’m telling you in all seriousness, that if I never heard the “Satanic Curses” album again it would in no way ruin my life. Yes, it’s THAT bad.

c.

I've got the new Mystic Prophecy and it's HORRIBLE. I really liked the previous one, but the new one stinks. This is my review (still not posted on the Intromental Webzine, but what the ****):

There’s something really wrong with Germany, there really is … I mean, not the country as such or the people living there, but instead the whole mentality of making a semi-interesting band more popular than they deserve to be. Is it the media people who have pushed this one too far? I don’t know, but if so, I’m wondering which of the guys in Mystic Prophecy who has been licking the asses of the collected German press, because Mystic Prophecy is getting all too much attention for such a mediocre band. Okay, I actually thought their previous disc, “Savage Souls”, was really good, so the band must be capable of doing something right, but with their new album “Satanic Curses” they are doing everything oh-so-wrong. First off: the band needs to find a new singer as R.D. Liapakis is very limited (he stays within the one-octave range throughout the entire disc, plus he is letting more air out of his vocal chords than actual singing, which makes him sound like he is screaming) and after a few songs he is simply too annoying to listen to. Secondly, they really should start thinking about finding a new lyrical inspiration, as the theme of Satan, demons and dark forces have been done too many times in the past by way too many bands. Oh, and while we’re at the topic of lyrics: this is 2007 and NOONE (I repeat: NOONE) should write a song called “Rock The Night” and sing about “We’ll rock your soul, we’ll rock your world” unless it is a clear joke! And finally – when a young band starts out, it’s okay to do a cover version of something as old-school and simple as Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid”, but when you’re on your 5th full length album and you have a name in the biz, you really shouldn’t do something as clichee as that. Mystic Prophecy is not my fave-band, I guess that’s quite obvious from this review, but they do occassionally come up with some good riffs, and as mentioned earlier on they actually made a really strong album 1½ year ago. But man, I’m telling you in all seriousness, that if I never heard the “Satanic Curses” album again it would in no way ruin my life. Yes, it’s THAT bad.

c.
Ouch ... sounds like they've peaked, and have hit the wall. I've liked two of their discs a lot (Savage Souls, and Regressus), but I was wondering when they might hit that point where there were no longer interesting to me. I like RD's voice, but if there is a knock it's that he is limited in range, and the songs tend to sound very similar at times because he lacks diversity. I thought he did well on Savage Souls, but it sounds like he didn't sustain that on this new one. Well, after this little writeup from Claus it seems that we may have reached that point. Oh well ... lots of other bands in the sea.

Britt

I think they are in a catch-22. If it's not Celestial Entrance Part 2, some people are going to bitch. If it sounds different that Celestial Entrance Part 2, some people are going to bitch.
Agreed.
From my own perspective, I simply want a quality Prog Metal disc, commensurate with the quality of Celestial Entrance.

Zod

Couple of folks who tuned in wanted to know the playlist for that show.

Hericane Alice - Wild Young And Crazy
Hibria - Millennium Quest
Edguy - Judas At The Opera (Request)
Lion's Share - On And On
Laaz Rockit - Last Breath
Millennium - My War
Pagan's Mind - United Alliance
Elegy - Master Of Deception
Siam - The Fall
Q5 - Steel The Light (Request/Failed Stump)
Sleazy Lee - Breakdown
Steve Grimmett - Afterglow
Steve Grimmett - Freedom
Conception - Roll The Fire
Theocracy - On Eagles Wings
Pagan's Mind - United Alliance (2nd Spin Request)
Cage - Fall Of The Angels
Jaded Heart - Open Your Eyes
Jaded Heart - Sinister Mind
Helloween - The Bells Of The Seven Hells
Tora Tora - Walkin' Shoes
Cypher Seer - Haunted Saga
Tigertailz - Call Of The Wild (Request)
Sircle Of Silence - Talk To Myself

A followup on the new new Mystic Prophecy - Satanic Curses ... it's a good disc. I kind of agree with Claus about the the themes being a bit tired, but all in all it's a solid release. I don't think it's up to the level of Savage Souls ... it lacks the diversity from track to track, but it's a good listen. It's pretty far from being a shiteater, and I'm guessing a lot of people that are into power metal will dig this one. I think it's also safe to say that if you are a fan of the band you'll probably like this one as well.

Britt

A followup on the new new Mystic Prophecy - Satanic Curses ... it's a good disc. I kind of agree with Claus about the the themes being a bit tired, but all in all it's a solid release. I don't think it's up to the level of Savage Souls ... it lacks the diversity from track to track, but it's a good listen. It's pretty far from being a shiteater, and I'm guessing a lot of people that are into power metal will dig this one. I think it's also safe to say that if you are a fan of the band you'll probably like this one as well.

Britt

I like it. Of course my version doesnt have voice overs so I can absorb the music a tad better. :)