New Periphery Double Album

I though the Scourge was ok once it picked up, not my favorite though.

The Bad Thing is better, can't say I dig the vocals at all though. I don't care for Spencer's voice.

Seems like good shit to do stuff around the house or drive to.

IDK, I'm waiting full judgment till the CD releases. These 2 songs aren't blowing my hair back though.

For some reason all of the periphery videos on the sumerian channel are not available to me here in Austria. Its not the usual this video is not available in your country malarky, just this video is not available full stop.

Is this happening for anyone else?

Yes. Something always go wrong with new uploads on the Sumerian Channel, not making stuff public, wrong thumbnail, misspelled tracks, lyrics from another song haha.

I really love Spencer's screamed verse in The Bad Thing. The lyrics and his rhythmic choice just play into the groove so well.

Sometimes I get tired of screamed verses because mediocrity is easy to get away with, but writing like this reminds me of how much depth screaming can add to a track.

Who exactly did the mix ?

Anyway, I must say I'm digging this more and more every day. I sort of "got" that first track now. Finally the production makes their music listenable to me and I'm surprising myself liking it.

The snare is pretty ridiculous. I remember him mentioning on his ask.fm or his facebook that the drums are all natural with the exception of some kick enhancing. I really like the guitars too, makes me wonder how a Zilla Fatboy 2x12 stacks against the classic Mesa 4x12.

From the sound of some raw tracks I was playing with, I would say that the Zilla sounds a bit more mid heavy than the Mesa between that 300 to 800Hz range. It seems decidedly less fizzy however, so broad cuts and boosts are able to get you where you're going without needing to get overly notchy. Then again, that could've just been Nolly's mic positioning.

From the sound of some raw tracks I was playing with, I would say that the Zilla sounds a bit more mid heavy than the Mesa between that 300 to 800Hz range. It seems decidedly less fizzy however, so broad cuts and boosts are able to get you where you're going without needing to get overly notchy. Then again, that could've just been Nolly's mic positioning.

Could the mid-heavy-ness have anything to do with the size of the cab (?) From some of the pics it seems like Nolly provably blended the mics to try and get a pretty even frequency spectrum.

Misha has also mentioned that they wanted the record to be more reserved in the high end (which matches the roll off in the Zilla apparently), for extended listening (which I'm sure was something in mind during mastering as well).

I'm actually thoroughly confused why they let Spencer do the "prepubescent boy" thing here - his vocals sound fucking awesome on the FFTL stuff (below); they just sound cringeworthy in Periphery. He's the best vocalist that's ever ruined songs for me and it's kind of frustrating to think of the potential being (IMO) wasted.

Last edited by a moderator: