New Periphery Double Album

I'm not saying they actually used SD for drums, I meant that they are still aiming for that vibe SD tends to give which sounds sterile and fatiguing. It totally sounds like there's a sample blended in the snare thought.

Snare is fine but a bit loud IMO. Kick, on the other hand, is WAY too loud. Like, amateur levels of loud- and I'm not pointing fingers, because every Periphery album has had a really loud kick drum, but it still strikes me as totally unnecessary. The "fewer highs so the mix is less fatiguing" thing someone mentioned earlier actually worked well, but the kick has the complete opposite effect.

I miss this kind of energy, Periphery just sounds artificial and gimmicky with the vocal style Spencer has going on ATM. The mix sounds great, kick is a bit loud and all that, but overall I dig it.

Last edited by a moderator:
In what way is the kick too loud? Because it actually has some low end and meat to it unlike 90% of generic metal kicks which sound like someone's teeth chattering? If anything the attack of the kick is also a bit buried by guitars, compare it to other djent or next to Sturgis-core type bands and it really isn't that loud.

I've been enjoying it. I think Spencer has grown a lot, he's great at belting the notes and do it quite tastefully this album, he growls pretty good now as well. What I think he needs to work on now is getting a more intimate and personal voice, this is especially noticeable in the calmer parts of the songs where it generally just feels too stiff and one dimensional. This issue isn't helped by the fact that there's so many words in every vocal line, lower the amount of words spoken per second (especially in the calmer parts) and work more on finding the hooks. I would've liked the calmer to be a bit lower in volume as well, for example A Black Minute @ 2.47 the transition there could've been more impact full if everything before 2.47 had been a dB or two lower.

Still taking it all in but I was shocked at how strange/bad the vocals are in some songs. I guess I thought people were exaggerating but in some songs it's really distracting from otherwise good riffs. I don't hate Spencer as a vocalist but this is clearly not his best.

I do feel like they could have boiled the whole thing down into one really solid album. I dunno, I really like some songs but the "good to bad" song ratio on these albums is down for me compared to previous ones. :/

In what way is the kick too loud? Because it actually has some low end and meat to it unlike 90% of generic metal kicks which sound like someone's teeth chattering? If anything the attack of the kick is also a bit buried by guitars, compare it to other djent or next to Sturgis-core type bands and it really isn't that loud.

+1

and also, they actually recorded natural drums at taylor larsons studio. From some clips it is true he actually gets killer drums without samples, but there is no way in hell the that this album doesn´t use some kind of sample on the snare.

As said before, i dont really care while it sounds good. But yes, there's been a lot of "im not using any samples!" lately.

Do you guys not understand why bands would be proud of/state that they didn't use samples? There's a huge degree of pride to be had in being able to achieve something most people only get by using samples - if you don't get that then you're likely to be a shittier engineer/musician.

I understand why engineers would be proud more so than bands (obviously there is some overlap in this case). As a listener the "all natural" claim seems to no longer say anything about aesthetics (as it once did) and is exclusively a pride point. Anyway, I think it's the "100% real but sounds just like 100% fake!" thing that some folks object to and/or don't understand.

If this is natural drums, I'm quite impressed. I have listened to it a bit last night, and I must say I like the production. I really prefer this new vibe over the old djent-y thin one. For once I can listen to an album of this genre (except Tesseract which I always liked) and truly enjoy the sound. It might not be my favourite mix ever, but I really like the warmth and low end and overall good taste considering the style.

And I do understand the "full natural" pride thing. I think when you can get there, without using a single VSTi or drum sample (same thing in essence), it means something. It's all real performance.

I understand why engineers would be proud more so than bands (obviously there is some overlap in this case). As a listener the "all natural" claim seems to no longer say anything about aesthetics (as it once did) and is exclusively a pride point. Anyway, I think it's the "100% real but sounds just like 100% fake!" thing that some folks object to and/or don't understand.

I get that; I guess I disagree with the notion of the drums on this sounding fake, in that case. The snare sounds like it does when I've seen them live - it's worth pointing out that this isn't just any drummer on the record, it's Matt Halpern. The guy is going to sound somewhat inhuman by definition, and it doesn't help that Periphery has gotten us used to that aesthetic by programming in the past/aiming their programmed drums towards a similar goal as the real ones.

I have too discovered how drums can sound even live. I have seen In Flames recently, and was blown away, but it sounded so precise I thought it could only be sampled. My gf knows their drum tech since 15 years ago when he was Rammstein's, so I had a chat with the guys and he told me it's all 100% real. He's just super good at engineering drums and that's why In Flames, Rammstein, or other bands like that hire him. I was absolutely blown away !

Do you guys not understand why bands would be proud of/state that they didn't use samples? There's a huge degree of pride to be had in being able to achieve something most people only get by using samples - if you don't get that then you're likely to be a shittier engineer/musician.

True, and i´m not saying this is the case, but sometimes i hear things such as "no autotune! No samples" and when you hear the record there clearly is auto tune and samples.

Of course live shows are a completely different situation, but i heard plenty of singers state that they don´t use autotune and when they perform live they are not even close to the recorded pitch

Also, as some people stated before, the end result/esthetics sound as sampled drums/autotuned vocals so yes, it is a pride thing rather that an aesthetic decision . Of course if they can pull off that it totally deserves self pride and respect becouse as you say Jeff is something that very few people can do

I have too discovered how drums can sound even live. I have seen In Flames recently, and was blown away, but it sounded so precise I thought it could only be sampled. My gf knows their drum tech since 15 years ago when he was Rammstein's, so I had a chat with the guys and he told me it's all 100% real. He's just super good at engineering drums and that's why In Flames, Rammstein, or other bands like that hire him. I was absolutely blown away !

No thats not true i know for a fact that the kick is100% on backtrack. Bands on that level usually have thr recorded song up on the mixer punching in whatever part the band wants for various reasons.