New Pick ups

Moonlapse said:
If you want some good duncans to pop in there, look at the JB for the bridge and the Jazz for the neck. That's the best recommendation I can make. If you like a bit more mids and fullness to your bridge tone though, check out some Full Shreds over the JB. The JB sounds a little bit more hollow and edgy, less smooth. I'm going by year-old memory here though.

I use a JB/Jazz combo in my Jackson Soloist 7. I had a H207 for a while, and I think the combo would sound good in it. I *know* the DiMarzio Blaze Custom and Blaze Neck I had in it sounded like crap.

eaeolian said:
I use a JB/Jazz combo in my Jackson Soloist 7. I had a H207 for a while, and I think the combo would sound good in it. I *know* the DiMarzio Blaze Custom and Blaze Neck I had in it sounded like crap.

Ah, see I think the JB's are horrible in the seven string form, They're too hot and there is no balance. I couldn't get even a decent tone of out it when it came stock in the Blackjack. The only way I could get the sound to NOT be total crap and mud was to have the gain on around 4. And thats just not enough crunch for me. I mean there was literally no note definition was so ever. o_O The Jazz however. Definite thumbs up on that one.

Yes, and this guy is right.. You DO have to do a good bit of routing for the EMG 7 string pickups. Thats why went with the Blaze Custom/Blaze neck. Although I get great tone out of them.. But it required alot of EQing to do so. o_O

eaeolian said:
Incorrect. The 7 string EMGs are NOT standard-sized - they use their 5 string bass pickup housing - so routing would be required.

81s and 85s are for 6 strings, you dont need to cut the body of 6 string guitar to fit a 6 string pickup in it... besides, why would he put a 7 string pickup in his 6 string guitar?o_O o_O o_O

Tempest said:
81s and 85s are for 6 strings, you dont need to cut the body of 6 string guitar to fit a 6 string pickup in it... besides, why would he put a 7 string pickup in his 6 string guitar?o_O o_O o_O

Person who started the topic also said a few posts later "I heard I may have to widen the pick up area if I want to put EMGs in it. I am doing this myself and this is going to be the first time that's why I want something that will pretty much just fit into the Duncan Des. spots. Do the EMG Zakk Series fit in a 7 string as well or do they make a 7 version? I would really like to put in EMGs but I dunnno about cutting up my guitar myself..." So I think he was responding to that. :p

Yeah, I beleive they are both 707s, and Smyth uses the same in his 7 string warlock. But looking at some pictures of them live, they dont always have the same guitars and pickups.. so I have no idea. But they primarily use the 707s and they both got EMG on their sites as an endorsment.

MetalMessiah9999 said:
If I'm not mistaken Jeff's Hellraiser has an EMG 707 in the bridge, not sure about the neck.

They're all good pickups...DiMarzio, Duncan, EMG...it's personal preference. Try to go to a huge music store that has an enormous selection of guitars and try as many different types of pickups and configurations as you can.

I have a Jackson with Duncans I had back in 1982 a Distortion in the bridge and a Seymourizer II in the neck, aged beautifully, sweet and hot!...I have them wired with a push-pull split coil tap for each ...a 1981 Dean V with stock DiMarzios which sounds amazing on that axe, aged to perfection...and a 1987 G&L SC-3 strat-like with their stock single coils which I would never replace...totally unique...individually adjustable pole pieces and wired for humbucking mode in the 2 and 4 selector positions.