New "Pop Metal" band i just recorded. You will deficate bricks

I'm digging this overall man, song is really catchy, too!

Biggest complaint... this band is begging for a huge roomsound to the drums, or a more natural drumsound all over. Try to get a big room verb or raise the hell out of the room mics!

I'm digging this overall man, song is really catchy, too!

Biggest complaint... this band is begging for a huge roomsound to the drums, or a more natural drumsound all over. Try to get a big room verb or raise the hell out of the room mics!

Do you know of any recordings in particular that i could check out to get a better idea of what to do? I'm not very experienced with with more melodic styles of music, so it's always good to listen to as many of these kinds of recordings as possible so i know what to do next time.

Sick song dude
but
I think the drums are waaaaayyyyy too quiet
and I agree with DSS3 on the whole big room drum thing
but other than that
It sounds great!
What head did you end up using on the pod?
haha

I've listened to the song on a few different systems, and the drum volume seems sufficient to me. you can hear each individual drum and whats going on overall, and the drums don't overpower anything. Plus the songs seem more guitar driven to me, so i would think the drums shouldn't be much louder than they are right now, if any at all. should they? maybe i'm just listening to it wrong haha.

and is it THAT obvious that i used a pod? haha
I'll probably stick with the pod until i can get a good mic pre to record real amps with. I tried real amps with a pop punk band i recorded a couple months ago, and it didnt sound like anything special.

the intro reminds me of paramore.. :X

sounds kill though! but personal taste i think..but that kick is too click for me

yeah i'm a metal dude, so i enjoy a good click kick=/ i just used the same kick as i did for the last band i recorded, but they were a bit more metal.

Underoath's define the great line has got a pretty nice natural drum sound that seems like it would be pretty fitting with this song. I myself love a good click in the kick but I forced myself to use some more natural sounding samples when recording bands like this and it's worked out pretty well. But it's all personal taste (or rather the band if they're paying haha)

Underoath's define the great line has got a pretty nice natural drum sound that seems like it would be pretty fitting with this song. I myself love a good click in the kick but I forced myself to use some more natural sounding samples when recording bands like this and it's worked out pretty well. But it's all personal taste (or rather the band if they're paying haha)

haha true. Fortunately this band is just a bunch of kids that haven't been around very long and has never really recorded before, so they aren't at all picky.

i'll check out that recording and see if there is anything i can take gather from it for this type of music.

Sounds very metalcore, not pop metal :)

But not a bad mix, the drums need more volume, but i think the click on the kick sounds awesome, keep it :)

hey man,

do you mind sharing some info on the guitars? digging the sound, heavy but clear :)

llike the mix as well, listening on crappy laptop speakers so cant go into to much detail, but like the others said the drums could come up a little bit, seems like guitars are overpowering the mix a bit especially in the lead parts

where is the pop? I don't hear it.

¯\(°_o)/¯

some of the riffs and lead parts sounded kind of poppy to me(like something a pop punk band would have or something).

Drums definitely need to come up. Also the cymbals sound like they are mono or have very little stereo spread.

yeah i used addictive drums for the overheads and resampled everything else with slate samples, so the cymbals sounded weird to me if i try to spread them out any more than they are.

and yeah everyone is saying to turn the drums up, so i guess i'll just do that.

i figured i would always mix drums too loud by nature, being a drummer and whatnot.:rolleyes:

keep in mind that depending on your mix levels, you might need to keep the drums where they are and TURN EVERY OTHER FADER DOWN 3 DB... just a thought..

haha, thought the kick sounded similar to before my end's! :p

i've always been a fan of clicky kicks, and i think with the metal-ish bits, it suits. a kind of similar band, that they remind me of (minus the synth, less singing, whatever) is a skylit drive. check them out, they're in the same sort of genre, pop metal, if you will.. haha.

and they love the clicky kick too :)

thanks,

EDIT: forgot to say, i concur that the drums are a tad quiet! otherwise a really good mix. you always seem to get reasonably convincing pod tones!