New production wave

Hi, I was wondering what people say to new sound of new cds from famous bands (mostly prog bands). I mean "Dream Theater - Train of Tought" and "Symphony X - Odyssey" to be extact. I don't know where and why came these bands with this new way of sound production but I think that it sucks - and really hard. Drums are // hm i can't describe it even in my own language - just say horrible // guitar sound is not that bad but it is not the way how we are used to it. I think this new fashion of sound production spoils the good music. What do you people think about it? I really miss richness of sound and I feel a lack of true atmosphere on these cds as compared to older work of these bands and present work of other bands too.

And even I can mention Metallica's last album with the worst production imaginable.

Yeah, definitely seems like cleaner production really takes you away from the emotions that are emitted by older albums, and makes most of the music feel "too perfect" at times. I dont even want to talk about St. Anger, I dont know how 5 year old kids would even want to put out an album that sounded like that.

Jabarkas said:
Hi, I was wondering what people say to new sound of new cds from famous bands (mostly prog bands). I mean "Dream Theater - Train of Tought" and "Symphony X - Odyssey" to be extact. I don't know where and why came these bands with this new way of sound production but I think that it sucks - and really hard. Drums are // hm i can't describe it even in my own language - just say horrible // guitar sound is not that bad but it is not the way how we are used to it. I think this new fashion of sound production spoils the good music. What do you people think about it? I really miss richness of sound and I feel a lack of true atmosphere on these cds as compared to older work of these bands and present work of other bands too.

And even I can mention Metallica's last album with the worst production imaginable.
I have never listened to Symphony X, so I cannot comment on them, but I LOVE the new Dream Theater sound. The first few albums up to Falling Into Infinity were overly produced cut'n'paste... too much reverb, not enough feel, no soul to it... The new sound is raw, heavy, lots of feel while also being highly polished and well done.

Its an issue of personal preference... I like a "heavier" sound. I love Colin Richardson's sound and I tend to think Andy Sneap goes overboard sometimes... but Kevin Shirley is great.

Like I said, all personal preference. :)

Personally I think the new productions are influenced by bands like Linkin park, aka the gritty wannabe live sound. Is this what you mean? Well from what Ive seen over the past 10-15 years is that productions go through fads. This isnt the first time the "live" sound was popular. Digital is cool but sometimes loses atmosphere too. Eventually I think people should go back to "analog" where they belong! lol