Best/Worst Production

That's true, but my point is that I never assume that the band didn't think the album was good enough to put out. "Perfection" is definitely too strong of a word to use. I find that the best way to judge music is to assume that bands don't release things they are unhappy with.

Primordial generally has decent production, but the levels on The Gathering Wilderness piss me off so much. Their other albums are mastered at a higher volume, and when I'm rocking out in my car I always have to crank The Gathering Wildness higher than the rest. It's annoying.

What I dislike most is when the guitars come off from sides (it can be one guitar with enhanced stereo!) so the group doesn't sound complex but just like recorded tracks put together.

Really? I actually think it's a pretty cool thing to listen to different guitars on via different ears. That's how we plan to record our album, with me and my guitarist panned far left and right just enough so that the harmonies, counterpoint and different riffs hit you from both sides.

I would show it to a lot of people before making a decision like that.
I would go with just panning a bit and having moderately different tones.

I would show it to a lot of people before making a decision like that.
I would go with just panning a bit and having moderately different tones.

Might get the Gavin, who's the other guitarist and who is also going to record our album, to just do a sample song for us to show some people. He says he's got everything planned out to how he wants it to sound, we haven't started properly recording just only some pre-production. Also we're planning to re-amp through various different amps to see what sounds best for our music...

I like production that suits the music well and enhances the listening experience. In general I think many 80s albums had great production even if it wasn't intentional. So to me an album done by a mediocre producer in the 80's probably sounds better than a recent album done by a "great" producer. That's because I really don't like the way albums are produced these days and I really can't say there's been that many albums in the past decade that have impressed me production-wise.

I like production that has a more organic sound where the instruments seemingly "breathe." I really hate the sound of "clicky" repetitive plastic drums and the general "loud" sound that many albums have.

Sometimes an album's production can completely ruin the listening experience more often than not it's those albums with so-called "great" production as opposed to those with so-called "bad" production. For example, Belphegor's last three albums, Pestapokalypse VI in particular, really bug me especially the sound of the drums.

P.S. Andy Sneap is also a shit producer and anyone who likes him as such can fuck off and die.

That's a bit harsh don't you think? Sure, I disagree with a lot of his decisions, but that doesn't make him an instantly bad producer. If he didn't give in to the label's stupid demands, I'm positive that we could have seen much better production.

Look at guys like Rick Rubin. Now that's a shit producer.

Metallica's production in ...And Justice for All just killed it. Amazing sound there. Lars's base sounds so good, it's like sex in my ears.

I kinda agree with Andy on Sneap. Especially since his source of fame is solely by being a mediocre producer for well known bands. Definitely not worth all the acclaim.

Primordial generally has decent production, but the levels on The Gathering Wilderness piss me off so much. Their other albums are mastered at a higher volume, and when I'm rocking out in my car I always have to crank The Gathering Wildness higher than the rest. It's annoying.

that has their best production aside from stea imo

i cannot stand the production on for the nameless dead at times though

that has their best production aside from stea imo

i cannot stand the production on for the nameless dead at times though

Mort, come on :cool: The Gathering Wilderness has the worst. At least, that's my opinion. It's mixed lower, they compressed the fuck out of it, and the drums sound flat and dead whereas on Storm Before Calm or Spirit the Earth Aflame everything sounds louder and more precise.

It's good as far as "polished" production goes. I like clear, yet raw, not unlike Promises In Blood by Paths Of Possession. Anything that sounds like it was recorded on analog tape as opposed to the sterile sound of digital is fine by me.

It's good as far as "polished" production goes. I like clear, yet raw, not unlike Promises In Blood by Paths Of Possession. Anything that sounds like it was recorded on analog tape as opposed to the sterile sound of digital is fine by me.

I'm a sucker for "polished". Every instrument on Organic Hallucinosis is exactly where it should be.

As far as older stuff goes, Scott Burns was always a fave.

Too raw: Wold, Ildjarn
The correct amount of raw: Burzum

Anything more produced than that is overproduced to my ears, when talking about metal. I can stand albums that are "better" produced, but I don't prefer them and it's harder for me to get into them. The trick is finding the balance between sounding downright shoddy and sounding like a live band performing in a basement.