New Raintime cd "Flies & Lies"

VenomGA

At War With Stan
Jul 28, 2005
Who has heard their new cd yet?? I think it is pretty damn good, has not grabebd me the way their debut did but then this is only the first listen. I will tell you I was surprised to hear the band covering Beat It by Michael Jackson on there. LOL The band actually did a pretty cool metal cover version of the song. :kickass: anyone else have thoughts on this new cd?

Folks,

This is a blanket statement not directed specifically at Venom. I just don't want things getting out of hand once the inevitable leak happens. Claus will be following this thread carefully and is the one in charge of getting official promos out. He will know if you are full of shit. If you get an official promo, no problem. That's the reason they are sent out. However, if you download it, then admit it, and buy the thing the day it comes out.

This is my only commment on the subject and I will delete any other comments in this thread that are related to the downloading issue.

Glenn

P.S. I disagree with Venom with every ounce of disagreement in me. he new disc blows away the first one. :heh: :headbang: :kickass:

Hey there,

okay, let's take this subject now once and for all, and then I won't really comment any further on this. I know that the disc is now available on the internet for download at the "regular places". I don't appreciate this, but that's the way it is. There'll always be people thinking they can get things for free.

Now, the promo's were sent out to the EUROPEAN media in the last week or two. It's not available for sale in Europe and it won't be until end of May.

Release date is Europe is end of May through Lifeforce Records. In France either end of May or mid-June by Replica Records.

In USA we're hoping to announce the label who will release it within a few days. I've actually just got the final contracts today. Release date there will probably be in June.

The album IS out in Japan now, but since the Japanese version is extremely expensive to import into USA I doubt most of the people on this board would want to invest in that - besides, our Japanese label is not doing any export, so if you buy the Japanese versions it's through a local store in Japan selling it to another vendor etc ... long and expensive process.

As Glenn said, if you download the album, then please remember to buy the final version when it's released. Thanks.

Cheers,
Claus

Folks,

This is a blanket statement not directed specifically at Venom. I just don't want things getting out of hand once the inevitable leak happens. Claus will be following this thread carefully and is the one in charge of getting official promos out. He will know if you are full of shit. If you get an official promo, no problem. That's the reason they are sent out. However, if you download it, then admit it, and buy the thing the day it comes out.

This is my only commment on the subject and I will delete any other comments in this thread that are related to the downloading issue.

Glenn

P.S. I disagree with Venom with every ounce of disagreement in me. he new disc blows away the first one. :heh: :headbang: :kickass:
Like I said GLenn, this is after the first listen. I have heard Tales from Sadness about 300 times over the past couple of years so it will have an advantage right now. I will give the cd more listens and will probably grow on me to the level or higher than the debut. :kickass:

I too can not wait for it to come out. I loved the first CD, and the ONE song that I have heard from the new one(the sample on the Music section here, and on the Intromental site) gives me chills everytime i hear it, if the rest is anything like that one song then it is an awesome CD. I will just wait and buy it so that the band reaps the profits from it.

I'm a try before you buy guy .. no apologies here !! That all said I have heard the new Raintime disc, and it is very good. I think it is much better than their debut ... by a good margin actually.

I'd say it's one of the two or three best discs I've heard so far this year, but "Beat It" .. c'mon .. should have been at the end of the disc, or not on there at all. It's not a terrible rendition by any means, but it feels so out of place.

Raintime - Flies & Lies ... a disc to immediately place on my "buy" list.

Britt

PS .. another thing I would add is that the production sounded killer to me. I had this blasting in the car on the way to work this morning .. smokin' !!!

As a rule, I don't download CDs, I tend to work off of the provided samples, reviews and my experience with a band's releases currently available. That said, I am disappointed on the rare occasion but I've had pretty good luck so far.

I do plan on buying Flies and Lies when it becomes available in the US.

I'd say it's one of the two or three best discs I've heard so far this year, but "Beat It" .. c'mon .. should have been at the end of the disc, or not on there at all. It's not a terrible rendition by any means, but it feels so out of place.

Britt

Promoter mode off....fan mode on....

I disagree because

1. It's a damn good cover and I don't let preconceived notions of the orignal effect my enjoyment.

2. It shows the band doesn't take themselves too seriously. There is so many pretentiousness in our scene that it's a welcome breath of fresh air. I feel the same way about Bodom.

Fan mode off. Promoter mode on...

I disagree, but I appreciate you saying nice things about the rest of the disc.

I hear ya Glenn, it's just that I prefer the cover tunes to be at the end of a disc instead of near the middle.

The only time it works for me is when the cover tune is a virtual unknown track .. like say .. Mercenary doing "Music Non Stop" near the middle of the disc.

It's just a personal preference thing. I do like metal versions of pop songs, and I think Raintime pulled it off in this case pretty well.

Britt

... 2. It shows the band doesn't take themselves too seriously. There is so [much] pretentiousness in our scene that it's a welcome breath of fresh air. I feel the same way about Bodom.

and I felt the same way about Adagio's cover of 'Fame' on the Dominate cd. I loved it! They did a great job metalizing it. I'd love to hear more metal bands covering old 80's top 40 hits. I'm waiting for someone to cover Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, Human League, Thomas Dolby... the list is endless.

:headbang:

(and yes, I'm showing my age here :oops:)

I wouldn't mind hearing another song, but I agree with most here. Generally I download a couple of songs (that are on APPROVED sites) and then get the album when it comes out.

I could never NOT purchase an album as I like to have something tangable. Besides, what am I going to do when I come to ProgPower? Should I start having bands sign my iPod? I'd run out of room in a hurry!

And a Michael Jackson cover? FUCKING SWEET. I'll be the FIRST to admit I loved Michael Jackson circa the 80's. He's the one that actually got me into guys with long hair, which lead to hair bands which lead me to where I am now. So yes, Michael Jackson is resposible for me being into metal music.

-Metal

Not to get off the Raintime thought line too far, but my favorite 80's cover is from Twilight Guardians (Sintrade) .... Madonna's La Isla Bonita. Now that is a great cover tune. To be fair to Raintime .. TG also placed their cover track a couple tunes prior to the end of the disc. Bendictum also placed "Heaven & Hell" in the middle of their disc as well. It's not an uncommon practice it seems. I still say .. put the cover tunes at the end, please !!

Britt

I think the cover is pretty damn good. After listening to the disc for the 3rd time, I am starting to go with Glenn that this is better than the debut cd.

well allow me to concur with the 'end of the cd' opinion. I have been known to say in the past that covers should be held to the end of a cd as a 'bonus' for the fans.

Seven Witches does this often - for the most part. Jack Frost loves his cover tunes. There's at least one on each album (although I only own the first two releases). And even though you may find a cover near the middle of the album, he can make it fit.

Just my opinion.

Back to the Raintime discussion - yes, this cd is near the top of my list the next time I meet up with Exploding Ned in May. :kickass:

and lastly, special kudos to Metal Rose for giving me my first.quoted.sig'.ever. :headbang: