New record update (of sorts)

Agnostic Front, Cro Mags, Cause For Alarm, Warzone put their best stuff out in the 80's and the NYCHC-scene was much fresher than today, one of Sepultura's best "Beneath The Remains" is from '88 or '89, compare Metallica's 80's music with their 90's music, compare Anthrax-, Slayer-, and Megadeth-80's music with their 90's music, it's true that Pantera's music got much better in the 90's but i wouldn't count them as 90's band because they put 4 albums out in the 80's and "Power Metal" isn't a bad record. i could do without most of the aforementioned bands. Bruce Dickinson isn't a 90's artist because his best work with Maiden was put out in the 80's. the 80's are the decade in which bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Manowar and for the John Bush-fans Armored Saint had their prime, Bon Jovi's best work was put out in the 80's while they turned into a pussy ballads-band in the 90's, the best radiofriendly rock was put out in the 80's (Foreigner, Toto, Asia, Fleetwood Mac, Marillion, Reo Speedwagon,...) bla bla bla, it's just a matter of taste.

Agnostic Front, Cro Mags, Cause For Alarm, Warzone put their best stuff out in the 80's and the NYCHC-scene was much fresher than today, one of Sepultura's best "Beneath The Remains" is from '88 or '89, compare Metallica's 80's music with their 90's music, compare Anthrax-, Slayer-, and Megadeth-80's music with their 90's music, it's true that Pantera's music got much better in the 90's but i wouldn't count them as 90's band because they put 4 albums out in the 80's and "Power Metal" isn't a bad record. i could do without most of the aforementioned bands. Bruce Dickinson isn't a 90's artist because his best work with Maiden was put out in the 80's. the 80's are the decade in which bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Manowar and for the John Bush-fans Armored Saint had their prime, Bon Jovi's best work was put out in the 80's while they turned into a pussy ballads-band in the 90's, the best radiofriendly rock was put out in the 80's (Foreigner, Toto, Asia, Fleetwood Mac, Marillion, Reo Speedwagon,...) bla bla bla, it's just a matter of taste.

By that rational Nirvana and Soundgarden were 80s bands, they exploded in the 90s'...and yes I do consider Bruce Dickinson to be a 90'S artist even though he was known for his work with Maiden, he put out some kick ass material in the 90's. I'm sure there were kids who were turned on to Maiden from hearing Bruce's solo work in the 90's. :headbang:

Bon Jovi's best work was put out in the 80's while they turned into a pussy ballads-band in the 90's

I completely disagree. These Days is easily their best and darkest album, and Keep The Faith is their second best. Bon Jovi never turned into a pussy ballads-band because they always were one. You can't lose credibility when you have none.

to be honest, i really don't care about Bon Jovi but "Livin' on a prayer" is a rock classic and it is an 80's song. let's forget about 80's music, let's forget about 90's music, i am looking forward to a new Anthrax album in 2011.

But in no way did Obituary go to 'shit'.

Didn't one of their albums have a fucking RAP song on it? I used to own World Demise, End Complete, and Back From the Dead and thought they were total pish, nowhere near as good as the first two. Frozen In Time is a decent album though, that's true.
Yeah, here it is, they obviously listened too much to "Bring The Noise", this is fucking abysmal. Imagine Death or Morbid Angel doing something like this?! Ha ha, no fucking way!

The 90's was a good era for black metal in particular, and death metal continued it's rise in that era, I'll grant you that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't one of their albums have a fucking RAP song on it? I used to own World Demise, End Complete, and Back From the Dead and thought they were total pish, nowhere near as good as the first two. Frozen In Time is a decent album though, that's true.
Yeah, here it is, they obviously listened too much to "Bring The Noise", this is fucking abysmal. Imagine Death or Morbid Angel doing something like this?! Ha ha, no fucking way!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqY5gr6Y4ho

The 90's was a good era for black metal in particular, and death metal continued it's rise in that era, I'll grant you that!

I forgot about the Back From The Dead album. That was also a good album. Had some killer songs on it. This rap song was almost a 'joke' of sorts. I remember when it came out. It is just a remix of another song that was on the album.

Threatening Skies, Platonic Disease etc. Classics

I saw Obituary and Napalm Death together in 94 I want to say. Machine Head opened up as they just came out with Burn My Eyes. Those were the good old days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't hold the 90's up as being a great decade and cite Sepultura as an example. They released Arise in 1991 then spent the rest of the decade turning to complete shit. Obituary did the same, Cause of Death in 1990 then shite after it.
:erk:

Chaos A.D. is the best Sepultura record IMO... Roots sucked.

once again, the 90's were the decade when most great bands turned into shit and only Pantera became much better than before.:lol:

Depends what bands you are speaking of. The 80's Thrash bands most of them pussed out aka Busthrax. But the more extreme bands like Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Deicide etc all hit their prime in the 90's. So it just depends on what genre of metal you are speaking of.

can't decide which one is my fave, Chaos A.D., Arise or Beneath The Remains, all great, Roots is pretty weak and i don't really wanna think about the records that followed it.

I actually think Schizophrenia is one of the best Sepultura albums. I even really like Morbid Visions. But I think over all Beneath The Remains is the best all around Sepultura album. Arise is very close. Chaos A.D. was a bit more mainstream and took Sepultura into a different direction. But still a great album. Roots again took them into a different direction, slower, heavier.. more nu metal influence.. thanks to Ross Robinson.

Once Max left the band I couldn't get into much of their music. Though I did enjoy some of the Nation album.... I guess this is going into a completely different direction now!

saw Sepultura 2 times with Derrick Green and enjoyed their shows, they played many old songs while the only time i saw them with Max they mostly played stuff from the roots album and hardly any Thrash classics.

saw Sepultura 2 times with Derrick Green and enjoyed their shows, they played many old songs while the only time i saw them with Max they mostly played stuff from the roots album and hardly any Thrash classics.

That's true. That being said, I tried to listen to Against album two times and hardly got past the third or fourth song. But live, they do kick ass in this lineup.

I saw them with Max on the Arise tour and got them all to sign my LP. :headbang:
If I'd have known they'd release something like Roots I'd have told them to shove the Arise album up their arses.

Chaos AD is decent, but that "Biotech is Godzilla" thing is fucking garbage, as is "Kiowas" and "We Who Are Not As Others". I mean, from "Dead Embryonic Cells" and "Inner Self" to that pish? :ill:
I still wear a Beneath The Remains shirt.

:lol:

I saw them with Max on the Arise tour and got them all to sign my LP. :headbang:
If I'd have known they'd release something like Roots I'd have told them to shove the Arise album up their arses.

Chaos AD is decent, but that "Biotech is Godzilla" thing is fucking garbage, as is "Kiowas" and "We Who Are Not As Others". I mean, from "Dead Embryonic Cells" and "Inner Self" to that pish? :ill:
I still wear a Beneath The Remains shirt.

:lol:

I was at a few Arise tour shows. They did one with Napalm Death, Sick of It all, and Agnostic Front which was bad ass. Then I saw them open for Ozzy and Black Sabbath (The show when Rob Halford sang in place of Dio), turned out to be a historic night.

Sepultura during the Arise tour was fucking amazing. And I am with you that after the Arise album they just weren't the same and never were. Schizo, Beneath The Remains, and Arise are brilliant. Max's vocal style was one that almost every heavy thrash type vocalist wanted to sound like. Back in the day when I was in bands we always said 'looking for a singer that can sound like Max Cavalera".... good old days!

That's true. That being said, I tried to listen to Against album two times and hardly got past the third or fourth song. But live, they do kick ass in this lineup.

Yeah Against is one of the worst albums I have ever heard. It is very difficult to get through that one. The past few albums have some fairly decent material on them though.

I just can't go see them live with Derrick Green and some no name guy on Drums. It was bad enough when Max left, but now Igor is gone it is just not Sepultura to me any more. They are a cover band doing some old Sepultura covers.

The last thing I saw that was like old Sepultura was seeing Cavalera Conspiracy live. They busted out a lot of the old shit and sounded amazing

I forced myself to like Against when it came out --- but that was mostly because the first Soulfly album was such a letdown.

I liked Nation, Roorback wasn't bad Dante XXI and A-Lex are both awesome albums. I wouldn't put any of the post Max albums on the same level with the early stuff ---- but they are all better then the pure garbage that is Soulfly.

I like Derrick Greene, especially since he's from my home town, but a reunion with Max and Igor coming back would be awesome.

I forced myself to like Against when it came out --- but that was mostly because the first Soulfly album was such a letdown.

I liked Nation, Roorback wasn't bad Dante XXI and A-Lex are both awesome albums. I wouldn't put any of the post Max albums on the same level with the early stuff ---- but they are all better then the pure garbage that is Soulfly.

I like Derrick Greene, especially since he's from my home town, but a reunion with Max and Igor coming back would be awesome.

I think the first Soulfly record was brilliant. One of my favorite albums of all time. He wasn't trying to be sepultura, had a very organic tibal vibe and was very well written.

Didn't like Primitive too much.

But III, Prophecy, Dark Ages and Conquer are bad ass albums and blow away anything 'sepultura' without max has done. the latest album Omen has a few good tunes but over all kind of generic.

But all in all Soulfly is a great band and watching them live is even more impressive than listening to their records.