New release from Dark metal band Lilitu

ruinandmisery

The Funeral of Hearts
Jun 12, 2001
near death
www.myspace.com
Lilitu's new album "Memorial" is now available! Listen to two MP3's from the album!

Please visit the web site for more info, www.lilitu.cjb.net!

You can order through PayPal as well.

In the vein of Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Katatonia, Eternal Tears of Sorrow etc.

Memorial" is a deeply emotional, truly brilliant
masterpiece that is, at times, painfully poetic, and at the same time, aesthetically glorious. Lilitu's excellent musicianship and song-writing is encapsulated in a solid production, and is sure not to disappoint...."Daniel Long." www.novembre.ws

~RM~

Attachments

• lilitucover2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 13
And I will add, I feel your band was already amazing, and love everything I have heard from you. I picked up your last album when theendrecords use to have some copies, and it was sad to hear the low production, when such great music was being played, and then I would hear people say that when you played live and it sounded WAY better.

I can not wait to pick up a copy.

I just sent 12 bucks to your paypal account. Let me know if you got the money, and my shipping information...if not, I will email you with anything you need.

i've heard one of the full-length tracks on the website (unwill), and i've got a good impression. you haven't just put the best on the web leaving other less inspired songs to greet the listener who buys the record, have you? ;)

some minor suggestion (since i take it that ruinandmisery is in the band or something). 9'04" is a playing time that would tentatively ruin the best song in the whole wide world: please try to remember that, unfortunately, not everybody has an attention span of 9 minutes without a single yawn, so maybe you should write songs that long only when you're really, really sure that there's enough meat on that bone.
the clean vocals are really ok, but the altered ones... i don't know, they sound a little too extreme, compared to the music. didn't you make them any clearer in the mix, by chance?

i'm going to dload the other track soon, then i'll probably ask you how to buy the record (it's a real pain to send money safely anywhere from where i live, but i'll find some way), but please please please put on your site a button to disable sounds: i had to decide whether to shut that window down or kill a member of my family after some 3' of that midi! :)

rahvin.

HI!

thanks for your consturctive criticism. We are aware of how long the songs are. Our newer material is a lot shorter, around 4 to 5 minutes. Thats just the way the songs turned out!

As for the audio on the web site., There is a audio button to click to turn it off, you must have overlooked it!

to order the CD, you can use PayPal!

Thanks for your interest!

~RM~

9'04" is a playing time that would tentatively ruin the best song in the whole wide world: please try to remember that, unfortunately, not everybody has an attention span of 9 minutes without a single yawn, so maybe you should write songs that long only when you're really, really sure that there's enough meat on that bone.

Well, I for one feel a band should write a song as long as they want to. While I do not like it when a band writes 30 minute longs songs JUST to show off, I also hate it when a band forces itself down to 3-4 minutes to make people with short attention spans happy. I for one would NEVER ask a band to change its music to please the masses. They should write what they want, and if I happen to like it, then I will buy it.

Well dang, looks like theendrecords has the album up for 10 bucks shipped. :confused: Oh well

Hey man,

Thanks for backing me up! the End Records does not have the release yet. They will be getting it on Monday or Tuesday! I promise the CD is well worth the $12.00 packaging and all!

Jason

Originally posted by foxdvd

Well, I for one feel a band should write a song as long as they want to. While I do not like it when a band writes 30 minute longs songs JUST to show off, I also hate it when a band forces itself down to 3-4 minutes to make people with short attention spans happy. I for one would NEVER ask a band to change its music to please the masses. They should write what they want, and if I happen to like it, then I will buy it.

i was in no way suggesting that bands should tone down anything to please anyone. but if you play for others you maybe should keep in mind that either you choose to create songs for some lucky few who share your 9', 30', 1578' view of the world, or you try to see somebody else's point of view as well. personally, i'm sure the best song i ever heard is shadow duet, which is much more than 3 minutes long. it is, nonetheless, full of things to hear and surely going places. most of the 7+ minutes songs i hear tend - to say the least - to stretch a concept way beyond it's breaking point. since i assume all bands strive to improve their style, i merely pointed out the risk. i'm positive that they should play however and for how many minutes they please, though.

rahvin.

but if you play for others you maybe should keep in mind that either you choose to create songs for some lucky few who share your 9', 30', 1578' view of the world, or you try to see somebody else's point of view as well.

when you start doing that, you start to sell out.....

i don't know about this whole selling out business... there are tons of board of so-called alternative bands hosting endless discussions to determine what is sellout and what's not.
to me, not everything done to please other people is a sure sign of selling out. i could feel like burping continuously on the microphone and call it music, or i could try and get my message through in a way that at least someone who's not my close relative or a medical officer might understand. i think that dt don't put in music every single bit of feeling that springs to mind: they select with accuracy the most intelligible and shareable ones. is this selling out? or is it related to how many people actually likes your stuff?
please do believe that there is not a single trace of polemics or belligerance in my words: i'd really like to know everyone's opinion, as i take it we're all interested in what the others have to say, att least to an extent.

rahvin.

You are taking extreme examples and trying to relate this to song length. Of course, if someone burps into the microphone they can’t expect the music to sell. I love patience and quality in my music. When a group wants to tell a story with their songs, length is important. You can not shorten your music to make it more radio friendly just to sell albums. (well you can, but I am not going to buy it) Does anyone really feel the song “Crimson” should be any less then 40 minutes long? It is one of the greatest songs ever written, and flows much better then some of the 3 minute long songs on the radio.

So lets get back to the point you raised in your first post. I am not saying a band should only write songs they understand, or only burp or fart into the microphone. I am saying that when a band is as talented as Lilitu writes a 9 minute long song, no one should tell them to shorten it. Now you as a customer has a right to say “Well I just don’t have the patience for 9 minutes, and feel they are just stretching it…so I will not buy it” and I have a right to say “I love that 9 minute masterpiece, and feel it takes you on a journey that a 3 minute long song never could…so I AM going to buy it” Lilitu is never going to sell 12 million copies of an album in America. That being said, I would rather listen to their music then a sell-out any day.

You are a sell-out the moment your music is compromised in an attempt to sell more albums. There is a small area that can be played with that allows the group to make their music more mainstream without selling out, but this area is very thin, and easy to cross. I feel that shortening a song from 9 to 4 minutes is definitely selling out.

Of course, I am a huge “Opeth” fan (who have albums with every song over 10 minutes long) so you know where I am coming from.

And there are a LOT of great 2-3 minute long songs (I would not love “The Mind’s I” if not) I am not saying that, I am just saying that a song should be made the way it comes out, with length not being a factor.

Originally posted by foxdvd
You are taking extreme examples and trying to relate this to song length. Of course, if someone burps into the microphone they can’t expect the music to sell. I love patience and quality in my music. When a group wants to tell a story with their songs, length is important. You can not shorten your music to make it more radio friendly just to sell albums. (well you can, but I am not going to buy it) Does anyone really feel the song “Crimson” should be any less then 40 minutes long? It is one of the greatest songs ever written, and flows much better then some of the 3 minute long songs on the radio.

i apologize for not knowing the song you mentioned: i suppose it's by opeth, and i never really liked the band (not for their songs' length), so i can't really say if it should be shorter at all. i even admit of being biased against a 40' song: that's the time-length of a decent album, and i think that the band would have been better off splitting up the different themes, maybe picking them up again in different songs. but with a 40' song this becomes a matter of practicality vs. clumsiness more than a question of boredom.
the point is, in my mind syntheticity is - to a point - a virtue. if i say in 300 words what could as well be said in 150, i feel i could have done better. same goes for music: 8' songs should have food for thoughts and feelings as a double number of 4' songs.
besides, i said before i was not referring to getting more airplay or selling more albums by the thousands. i do appreciate when some fine-tuning is made to sell otherwise over-lengthy products to a larger number of sincere fans, though.

[/B][/QUOTE] So lets get back to the point you raised in your first post. I am not saying a band should only write songs they understand, or only burp or fart into the microphone. I am saying that when a band is as talented as Lilitu writes a 9 minute long song, no one should tell them to shorten it. Now you as a customer has a right to say “Well I just don’t have the patience for 9 minutes, and feel they are just stretching it…so I will not buy it” and I have a right to say “I love that 9 minute masterpiece, and feel it takes you on a journey that a 3 minute long song never could…so I AM going to buy it” [/B][/QUOTE]

i don't agree with your definition of what i (anyone) has the right to say. i'm pretty sure i didn't tell lilitu to shorten their songs, but i'm pretty sure i should feel free to suggest to a band that they better be careful when dealing with 7'+ tunes, too. i don't see why it all should be reduced to the sterile buying/not buying decision. couldn't it be that the chance to actually communicate with the musicians we like is also something that sets this music apart from the real sellouts?

[/B][/QUOTE] Lilitu is never going to sell 12 million copies of an album in America. That being said, I would rather listen to their music then a sell-out any day. [/B][/QUOTE]

me too. i don't think i ever questioned that point.

[/B][/QUOTE] You are a sell-out the moment your music is compromised in an attempt to sell more albums. There is a small area that can be played with that allows the group to make their music more mainstream without selling out, but this area is very thin, and easy to cross. I feel that shortening a song from 9 to 4 minutes is definitely selling out. [/B][/QUOTE]

well, shortening it because you want it to be played on radio stations, yes. shortening it because 3' songs are what's more appealing to the market, yes. shortening it because you think that everybody's going to find it uselessly repetitive just after minute 4, sorry, no.
and your definition of sellout seems to leave shades of gray all over the place. why do i write songs in the first place? to please my ego? to pass some feelings through? and to whom? my boy/girlfriend? don't i "compromise" the way i talk when i tell a story to that same boy/girlfriend?

[/B][/QUOTE] Of course, I am a huge “Opeth” fan (who have albums with every song over 10 minutes long) so you know where I am coming from. [/B][/QUOTE]

i should probably admit now to being a huge punk music fan, so you know where i'm coming from, too. ;)
but i really do listen to a lot of different styles and bands, some of them concocting every day lots of lengthy songs. and i really, really wouldn't want any death/gothic/electro/heavy metal band to play too many short songs.

rahvin.

Actually, that song is from the group Edge of Sanity, though the lead singer of Opeth does a small part in it...

Also, there are many bad 9 minute long songs. A bad song is a bad song, and it has nothing to do with length. I just happen to like longer songs more then shorter ones.

You say that why use 300 words when you can say it in 150? Music is not something that is made to get a point out as fast as possible...it is not going from point A to B as fast and as efficient at you can. Music is a journey. I mean, you can tell the story of “The Godfather” in a short 1 page summary, but you will miss the pure brilliance of its build-up and emotion by doing so. Music is not a way to delivery a story in an short efficient style. It is poetry. Yes there are some great poems that are a few sentences long, and there are great poems that take up hundreds of pages. When a poem comes out as 10 pages long, you should not shorten it to 5 pages, if doing so will make it less special. That being said, if you write a one page poem, you should not lengthen it just to make it longer.

Obviously there are enough people out there who love the length of Opeth’s songs, or they would not buy the albums. These fans love the music they have made, and would never ask the group to shorten their music. The mind-set of the band is to take their time bringing out their story. The mind-set of other bands is to do it in short 3 minute burst. Neither should change their style, as long as they are good at what they do.