NEW REVIEWS - Aborted, Pestilence, Somnus & more

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Hey,

New reviews added to the review index (which now also includes the last upload).

New
ABORTED - Goremageddon
DOWN II - Bustle in the Hedgerow...
SOMNUS - Through Creation's End

Classic (Old)
CATAMENIA - Eskhata
PESTILENCE - Testimony of the Ancients

Unsung Heroes
The Blue Season - Cold

:Spin:

Coming Soon:

Wacken Live Reports from Phyre, Chief B, and Dark One.

New Feature from Papa Josh.

JK.

From the Somnus review:
I mean, they might burn churches in Norway, but you can get shot eating a Big Mac in Cleveland. So where would the aggression stem I wonder?
:lol: Fuckin classic!

I'm not sure when that Emperor review you did was uh, done, but I can't wait for the cold weather to buy that album, and loads more black metal classics.

Actually it's been a frigid 80 degrees here for two days now, might be a good time to get out the winter listening out. :cool:

NAD said:
I'm not sure when that Emperor review you did was uh, done,
Why, I oughta....*slap*...my review kind of assumes you already own Nightside Eclipse. It's a tough album to review 'track by track'...I dunno if I did it justice, other than the actual score.
but I can't wait for the cold weather to buy that album, and loads more black metal classics.
It's funny, because although music is indeed seasonal, I must be a closet Australian: In the summer, I listen to more black, foresty, pagan, viking, and avant-garde metal, and in the winter, I grab the jolly stuff. 'Tis the season to be jolly after all. :tickled:

An observation:

Recently, we've seen some great reviews for Exhumed & Aborted, and npearce suggested Goatsblood as his potential album of the year. I've yet to review the latest Necrophagia but I'll tell you that I think it's great. Could this be a year for sick/gore I wonder? It only takes a couple of albums to turn the tide, so to speak.

A question:

Has everyone got/heard Testimony of the Ancients? Any Pestilence fans? I wanna discuss the review - that album could have it's own roundtable almost. [Also, I do not yet own Consuming Impulse].

The whole grind/gore thing seems to be really well done this year (Aborted and Leng Tch'e are both incredible), and I'll be picking up Goatsblood, Ion Dissonance, and Exhumed in the coming weeks.

Yes I combine and compare grind and gore, they share many traits, just the subject matter changes. :p

Just read the Pestilence review, looks like another one to add to the list. I've never even heard of them until now. *hides sheepishly in corner crying like a woman, displaying his vast Cannibal Corpse collection in defense*

NAD said:
Just read the Pestilence review, looks like another one to add to the list. I've never even heard of them until now. *hides sheepishly in corner crying like a woman, displaying his vast Cannibal Corpse collection in defense*

:lol: NAD, you and your King Crimson and Cannibal Corpse side by side. Good for you! Ever going to do a Cannibal Corpse review? That would rule - I've yet to own a CC album. :(

But oh my god, you, "Mr Arise and Chaos AD with a bloody splash of Morbid Angel", will LOVE Testimony....

Anyone else familiar with the album? Come out come out wherever you are....warriors, come out to playeeyay! *clinking bottles*

I have "Testimony of the Ancients." Can't say I've listened to it much or love it nearly as much as you, but it's obviously a quality album. Hmm, maybe I'll just pop it in now... Let's see here... Ah, there!

Oh, and I like this bit in the liner notes: "FUCK OFF to all industrial bands everywhere; this type of 'music' is just an excuse for not knowing how to play an instrument."

JayKeeley said:
:lol: NAD, you and your King Crimson and Cannibal Corpse side by side.
Don't forget my Paul Simon and Emerson, Lake, and Palmer sharing space with Carcass and Slayer! :Spin:

I'll be glad do do some Corpse reviews, I'll work on some when my current batch of promos are done. The Bleeding is absolutely essential for death metal heads!

JayKeeley said:
But oh my god, you, "Mr Arise and Chaos AD with a bloody splash of Morbid Angel", will LOVE Testimony....
:hotjump: <-- is excited, or has really bad gas (combination of both?)

NAD said:
I'll be glad do do some Corpse reviews, I'll work on some when my current batch of promos are done. The Bleeding is absolutely essential for death metal heads!

CC get a mixed reception, so I'm curious to read your review. I don't own any (yet). I really need to get that Necropahgia reviewed at some point too.

:hotjump: <-- is excited, or has really bad gas (combination of both?)

I'd be very suprised if you didn't like Testimony of the Ancients. Based on nobody else's comments about Pestilence (other than Phyre) it sounds like they passed a lot of people by. Shame, it is a great album (and it doesn't sound dated like a lot of 'classic' albums).

NAD said:

Not trying to start a big CC discussion, but I prefer all of the Fisher albums to The Bleeding.

JayKeeley said:
I'd be very suprised if you didn't like Testimony of the Ancients. Based on nobody else's comments about Pestilence (other than Phyre) it sounds like they passed a lot of people by. Shame, it is a great album (and it doesn't sound dated like a lot of 'classic' albums).

Fine.

Sweet zombie jesus I fucking love Pestilence. Testimony is truly great and worthy of the review you gave it. Consuming Impulse is my personal favorite. It's easily among my favorite albums of all time. Wait... I think there was an old thread here about that. Let me look...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84201

See... I ain't lying! :D

Oh yeah... I saw Pestilence open up for Death on the Testimony tour (Human tour for Death), so naaaahhh... :p

bloodfiredeath said:
Sweet zombie jesus I fucking love Pestilence. Testimony is truly great and worthy of the review you gave it. Consuming Impulse is my personal favorite. It's easily among my favorite albums of all time.

*wipes eggs off face as he realizes it was bloodfiredeath that had the consuming impules avatar*

Well - you guys keep changing your avatars and I get all mixed up!

Wait... I think there was an old thread here about that. Let me look...

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84201

See... I ain't lying! :D

You know, that was a good thread considering how short lived it was. Good call on Dreamweaver as well by the way.

Oh yeah... I saw Pestilence open up for Death on the Testimony tour (Human tour for Death), so naaaahhh... :p

I've never used this smilie before, but for this quote, all I can say is this -> :OMG:

JayKeeley said:
*wipes eggs off face as he realizes it was bloodfiredeath that had the consuming impules avatar*

Well - you guys keep changing your avatars and I get all mixed up!

Don't sweat it. I can hardly remember what avatar I've used and I actually forgot I had Consuming Impulse for a while. If memory serves me correct, I believe Papa Josh is a big Pestilence fan too.

You know, that was a good thread considering how short lived it was. Good call on Dreamweaver as well by the way.

Then resurrect that bitch! :)

I've never used this smilie before, but for this quote, all I can say is this -> :OMG:

We all have those shows we've seen that makes others jealous. I've missed a ton too, so I make up for it when I can with an ace in my pocket like Death/Pestilence '91.

Well, if I knew it was going to be that kind of party, I owuld've stuck my dick in the mashed potatoes!!

I love PESTILENCE. Testimony of the Ancients deserves all that Jaykeeley gave it and still more. I can't even count how many days and nights have been spent cranking that fucking record. I only wish Martin Van drunen had hung around to do that record... and that is the only absolute way it could be any better. Patrick Mameli did a good job trying to capture his approach though.

I remember getting Consuming Impulse at the same time as Sepultura's Beneath the Remains" both on cassette as it was still the bigger format. My dad's reaction to hearing Drunen's vocals is timeless. :tickled:

An interesting note too,

At the time I remember Consuming Impulse and Morbid Angel's Altars Of Madness were the word of the underground. Who were more extreme? These two releases were very, very important.

If you're a fan of Cynic, you should consider checking out PESTILENCE's last release, Spheres. Spacey shit...

Papa Josh said:
Well, if I knew it was going to be that kind of party, I owuld've stuck my dick in the mashed potatoes!!
:lol: You gotta license to ill.

I love PESTILENCE. Testimony of the Ancients deserves all that Jaykeeley gave it and still more. I can't even count how many days and nights have been spent cranking that fucking record. I only wish Martin Van drunen had hung around to do that record... and that is the only absolute way it could be any better. Patrick Mameli did a good job trying to capture his approach though.
Wow - you guys came out of the woodwork. I didn't realize you liked it that much too. It really is a marvellous piece of work, and I truly mean it when I say my collection would not be complete without it.

I remember getting Consuming Impulse at the same time as Sepultura's Beneath the Remains" both on cassette as it was still the bigger format.
So I know Testimony and Spheres, and I have Malleus...how does Consuming Impulse sound in comparison...or should I just slap myself and get it already.

If you're a fan of Cynic, you should consider checking out PESTILENCE's last release, Spheres. Spacey shit...
Yeah, it's kind of like between Cynic's Focus and Death's Symbollic (even though this came out 2 years later).

bloodfiredeath said:
Not trying to start a big CC discussion, but I prefer all of the Fisher albums to The Bleeding.
Honestly I can never decide which Corpse is my favorite, it's a toss up between the Bleeding and Vile. Generally I just go with the Bleeding since it was my introduction to the group. :) The only Fisher-era corpse I don't like is Gallery of Suicide. Sentenced to Burn is fucking awesome, but the rest just never clicked with me.

Papa Josh said:
especially since their getting ready to finally release Created to Kill (the Vile sessions w/ Barnes' vocals)
Cool, I didn't know he did any sessions with them for those songs! Perhaps I'll start picking up the few that I'm missing as well...

Papa Josh said:
I remember getting Consuming Impulse at the same time as Sepultura's Beneath the Remains" both on cassette as it was still the bigger format.
Yep yep... me too.

I remember the first time hearing that album very specifically. At the time, the only band me and my friends had ever heard with death metal vocals was Death. Listening to Consuming Impulse, I thought "holy shit, someone else sounds like this too?!?!" We were so new to the concept we would listen to Evil Chuck and Van Drunen and swear it was the same guy. Funny to me now...

That album was bought during the time when I just bought anything on Roadrunner, no matter if I ever heard of it or not. Remember those days? Ha!