New Rush Singles

The footage I saw seemed to be good quality and that sound was just coming out the TV speaker. It was late at night and I didnt start at the beginning and I believe I think I fell asleep before it was over too, but what I heard... as I recall, sounded great. I was also astounded by the size of the crowd and how they appeared to know every note and every word of every song. I had the horrid experience of seeing Rush twice in the mid/late 70's in the most acoustically unfit venue on the face of the earth and left with little more than ringing ears. Not unlike my Symphony X concert experience... where the hell are the good soundmen ? Find them, hire them and shoot the rest.

Proul - I love extended instrumentals and have for decades. One of my side nitches, fusion was all based on improv, so has been gobs of blues, hard rock and metal. The only thing wanky about the term wankery is the people that use it as a way to be demeaning to the greatest instrumentalists in thier fields. I find those that use the term to be unable to take musical adventures if all they can register out of it is people showing off, when I can totally trip out on the vib and transfers these musicians take me on. Theres always the pop stations for those of you that cant deal with massively intense musicians.........

I was at a friends house and the RIO dvd sounded like crap... All the other dvds we played that night were great sounding.... Hopefully something was set up wrong and I haven't heard it since....

I only really care for the earlier Rush discs going from Moving Pictures back...

Dream Theater usually have a few great songs on each disc and some that I don't care about so I take them off....

"multimetered wankery".... I guess I'm guilty of liking this type of stuff...

Like I said if you cant take the trip thats all you'll hear. Sad, but true.

Like I said, sorcerous execution = musical athetic prowess that enhances and adds more depth to the song, (and yeah)i.e takes you on a journey.

Multimetered wankery for its own sake = highly skilled musicians just being plain lazy and filling space.
Notice, Symphony X cannot be even remotely guilty of this. Even in their longest epic pieces, everything is called for.
DT on the other hand, no. After Scenes From A Memory, it was like they became complacent(can't say as I blame them as that is hard to top). But to this day, Six Dungarees of Intestinal Flatulence remains one of the only albums that I have ever returned to a store the next day.

Let me run it by you another way though, if all someone has to do is be intricate for you to enjoy it; then they can do no wrong. I have a problem with that. So there can be no such thing then as wankery for its own sake or am I just not "taking the trip" as you do?

For the record, nobody loves intricate, multimetered, crazy odd time signatures like I do. BUT THEY HAVE TO WORK!

I was at a friends house and the RIO dvd sounded like crap... All the other dvds we played that night were great sounding.... Hopefully something was set up wrong and I haven't heard it since....
The Rio DVD does sound a little flat (especially when compared to R30 and S&A Live), but it makes it up for with a great setlist and the greatest audience in the history of prog recordings.

Yeah, playing Rio is huge. You pretty much have to soundboard it because the audience will drown out all the mics.

I think Rush has metamorphosed from their early rock, through the prog movement, and into the future. It keeps them interesting. For prog fans of course, the perspective is that of their early-middle period being the most complex and interesting.

I however, am not a prog fan. I like the road they're traveling, even if S&A didn't do as much for me as Vapor Trails. Often underrated, VT when taken at face value, and not analyzed as a prog work, is quite solid. They've gone backward a few steps with S&A, but I hope they don't cave in to what fans want and instead continue to produce interesting and original material. As good as albums like farewell to kings and 2112 are, it would be a shame if they kept producing the same material. That would be very un-progressive.

Alex Lifeson has said that it would be interesting to do another epic; but again, he is outnumbered 2-to-1. I'm not sure that it would work with how they play now(with tuned down instruments and everything); but I'd sure prefer a classic rock formula to the "reaching-for-the-modern-sound" oblivion they've been in for the past 15 years which has greatly eroded their strength.

I should catch up on Rush but I somehow got a little turned off by them when they became radio stars and went somewhat electro so I would probably work backwards till I hit that stuff. I think I'll dig out my Presto tape and see if it still plays, that would be different.

Multi metered "wankery".... glad I cant count, apparently it ruins everything.

Six Degrees slays

Its OK to have DT in every thred because this is the cry about DT forum afterall.

I'd rather cry about my Presto tape not playing and thus most likely magnatizing my heads. tapes sucked bad, ate my I&W last time which was also on its last legs.

How old are you?

Again, SX don't ever wank. Prior to Scenes, DT didn't wank either. But Six Degrees is one gigantic wankfest; as is the majority of their subsequent material.

This really isn't that hard.

I was just questioning what bands that you feel don't "work hard" enough.... These are your words...

I didn't think the question was out of line based on your responses and I should've expected something immature just like this...

What a sad joke...

I was just questioning what bands that you feel don't "work hard" enough.... These are your words...

I didn't think the question was out of line based on your responses and I should've expected something immature just like this...

What a sad joke...

The only sad joke is your feeble attempt at witticism directed at my expense in a thread about the musical merits of a couple Rush singles. Honestly, did you think I would respond to your condescending post? You must really think I'm stupid. Would you kindly tell me then, how I am wrong?

I'd rather cry about my Presto tape not playing and thus most likely magnatizing my heads. tapes sucked bad, ate my I&W last time which was also on its last legs.

I own a single tape. It's Mercyful Fate's Don't Break the Oath. Annnd...I'm not sure if it plays. :D

The only sad joke is your feeble attempt at witticism directed at my expense in a thread about the musical merits of a couple Rush singles. Honestly, did you think I would respond to your condescending post? You must really think I'm stupid. Would you kindly tell me then, how I am wrong?

I was looking for some new suggestions since you have a problem with a style of music that I seem to like... If you don't like the response then don't post your opinions out here!!!

BTW...."How old are you"????:erk:

I was looking for some new suggestions since you have a problem with a style of music that I seem to like... If you don't like the response then don't post your opinions out here!!!

BTW...."How old are you"????:erk:

Well it's nice and refreshing to have an embroilment with someone who has been on these forums longer than me for once.

Look, it seems that we both love our prog; we just have different opinions on what we take from it I guess. It is apparent that I prefer the older Rush to the new and the same with DT, and you don't; and that I don't think that SX and Fates Warning waste notes and that the DT of the last decade does.

If this a source of hysterics for you, sorry but I don't mince words. And I will loudly proclaim my opinions on here as that's what it's for.

Well it's nice and refreshing to have an embroilment with someone who has been on these forums longer than me for once.

Look, it seems that we both love our prog; we just have different opinions on what we take from it I guess. It is apparent that I prefer the older Rush to the new and the same with DT, and you don't; and that I don't think that SX and Fates Warning waste notes and that the DT of the last decade does.

If this a source of hysterics for you, sorry but I don't mince words. And I will loudly proclaim my opinions on here as that's what it's for.

You have some reading problems....

I was very clear about what RUSH music I like and I NEVER stated what Dream Theater I liked better but here you are making these incorrect claims.... Too funny!

For the record, nobody loves intricate, multimetered, crazy odd time signatures like I do.

you have a problem with a style of music that I seem to like

Now THAT'S funny. You wanna talk about reading problems. You made an inference and I also made an inference to what we both like(fact is though that the Rush you love most IS "newer" than the Rush I love most). You wanna cry about it? Then let's dispense with the putting of the words in each others' mouths.

The point is that you gave me shit when I slammed DT's 6 Degrees forwards material; so obviously that is a source of friction for you. I tried to reason with you but now you are coming off like a complete prick and confirming the condescending asshole tone of your initial post in my direction.

And you called me "immature".:rolleyes:

It's amazing we haven't crossed cocks on here before. :Spin: