New Shred Albums!

ShredHeadJHJ

oh noes itz a opinionn
Oct 15, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I've really been wanting to get back into instrumental shred lately. Everytime I've been aching to listen to some lately I wind up listening to something that is the polar opposite like Tool or Emperor. I just can't find a happy musical medium as of late.

I need some new shred, & fast. I've been wanting to get more of Marty Friedman's stuff, as I have his last two albums. As much as I dislike everything I have Paul Gilbert is on I'm feeling that I might have just got unlucky & got some of his lesser works.

I'm open to anything else that might be off the wall as well. Good playing is a must. I need to go a month without hearing a tremolo riff or a power chord. I busted out Vai's "Fire Garden" today & I really dig. I don't think I've listened to it in about a year.

Just discuss your favorites :kickass:

Didnt mean to ignore your thread. Honest truth is, besides the old fusion that I have caught up on the last guitar instrumental CD I bought was Flying in a Blue Dream - Satch, and it was fairly new so you can see how long its been. Im currently interested in Guthrie Govans - forget what its titled and I need to get 1 Greg Howe, 1 Holdsworth,1 Vai and 1 Bonamassa. You could probably recomend me on these. I only have bits and pieces here and there that I downloaded to check these guys out and various stuff borrowed or played for me by friends over the years. but I want to get an entire piece of work from these guys. Im not much on the super shred metal guys from what I have heard on youtube clips. Im more into some melodic presentation than I am high speed arpegios and the like, I can get enough of that from the prog metal bands. Oh yea, and I really want something by Shawn Lane too, I was checking him out on youtube. He seems somewhat unique.

Guthrie Govan's album is simply amazing dude. He is the big thing right now in shred land. I would recommend it big time. You can only get it from his Cornford website though & I think it's $25. I had a friend of mine who bought it send it to me.

Greg Howe - Greg Howe (s/t)
Allan Holdsworth, Jens Johansson & Anders Johansson - Heavy Machinery (Probably Allan's best work)
Steve Vai - The Ultrazone (My fave, but Passion & Warfare is the fan fave)
Shawn Lane - The Tri-Tone Fascination

I have a ton of work all these guys's, but I have just about everything Vai's done with the exception os his David Lee Roth stuff. My friend was just going to let me borrow both his DLR albums with Vai earlier but I backed out.

Let me know what you think & I will gladly hook you up.

DLR would be Eat em n Smile ... right ?
I think I have the cassette that came after that one which Im thinking was Becker. Its not bad, I actually like it occasionally. I was surprised due to the fact that I felt Roth was way to formulated and almost moronic with VH. But I still like my old pop metal from time to time.

Yea, I just dug it out - "A Little Aint Enough" - '91 - w/Jason Becker, seems the bluesier tracks stood out the most to me, have'nt run it in over a year. I had borrowed Eat m and Smile but that would have been nearly 20 yrs ago now so I cant vouch for that.

The Roth/VH album title feud was epic and note worthy history. They split up and David Lee Roth acquires Vai and releases "Eat em and Smile"... then Eddie counters with "OU812" then Roth acquires Becker and release "A Little Aint Enough" which by that time VH had moved on as it was more than apparent who was most successful.

The Roth/VH album title feud was epic and note worthy history. They split up and David Lee Roth acquires Vai and releases "Eat em and Smile"... then Eddie counters with "OU812" then Roth acquires Becker and release "A Little Aint Enough" which by that time VH had moved on as it was more than apparent who was most successful.

You mean DLR was the more successful??? ICU812 was never a popular album (I don't think). I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around that. Sammy Hagar was very popular in VH, but I know that DLR had a successful solo career as well.

I want to hear that DLR w/ Becker. I like Perpetual Burn, but it's not really my style at the end of the day. I've also heard it about a million times. It was the only thing Becker ever did that was any good. I heard his DLR album sucked, but I still want it for completion.

Tony MacAlipne is more my style by far. I love Maximum Security. He's done lot of great stuff (& alot of shit). I'm listening to Premonition right now which is probably my favorite of his solo albums.

Steve Vai - Passion and Warfare is my fav but Fire Garden has been getting plenty of plays lately. I especially love Devin Townsend's appearance on Fire Garden

Satriani - FIABD, The Extremist, and his DVD Live in San Francisco get tons of plays.

Dave Martone - thanx to Shredhead:kickass:
Maybe not SHRED perhaps...but Robin Trower and Frank Marino get plenty of spins in my car stereo.

Ah shit man, back in the 70's, excluding the likes of DiMeola and Morse, Marino was the fastest thing around long before I ever heard the term shred. Marino was quie a character too if you break down his various songs and lyrics. I love my old Mahogany Rush and Robin Trower, not alot of people get it though and origionally many wanted to throw the "Hendrix clone" out there at both of them, but they were really just playing tribute to Jimi, keeping the sound alive. If you listen to the lyrics to Marinos songs that did mimick some Hendrix songs you can see they are about Jimi.

JHJ, I played that Little Aint Enough tape today and its not very memorable. Probably said best, that its good party music, not head music. Lots of typical rockers, typical Roth antics and a few smokey blues numbers like "Sensible Shoes" which stands out and a few others. Most riffs are nothing Eddie hadnt already done, they have that same sound. Solos are good but just to throw a comparision out there they pretty much were like a Vai/VH combination.

VH was incredibily successful with 5150 and OU812, nearly every song on both LPs got extensive airplay. They were selling out concerts, big arena concerts, even played Stadiums. Oh yea, America loved SamHalen, so naturally the old grumbly butts didnt..... lol. 5150 & OU812 are filled with what I feel are amounst the greatest kickin guitar riffs ever. Then Ive been a big Hagar fan since I first heard his voice and attack in '73 (Montrose debut). More on Ronnie Montrose later.

Dave Martone - thanx to Shredhead:kickass:

Dave Martone is a modern guitar genius. I got two more of his albums just yesterday. "Zone" & "A Demon's Dream". I really dig his style. He's very fun & rewarding to listen to & he's no show off like Guthrie Govan. Guthrie's album is simply jaw dropping, but the song structures were rather cliche & the solos are just flat out amazing but he doesn't really get experimental enough. His album sure beats the shit out of anything Satriani or maybe even Andy Timmons has done, but I personally think Vai & Martone are one another level. I love that quirky shit.

You forgot the album Skyscraper which is a excellent album with Vai that was his 2nd album with Roth after Eat Em n Smile... Had Dave stuck to that lineup with Vai, Billy Sheehan, and Gregg Bissonette his solo career would of fared much better then later albums...

You mean DLR was the more successful??? ICU812 was never a popular album (I don't think). I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around that. Sammy Hagar was very popular in VH, but I know that DLR had a successful solo career as well.
The album was OU812 and not ICU812 (though that's a clever title as well) and yes it was hugely popular at the time. Was my first Van Halen concert during that tour.

Oh yea, America loved SamHalen, so naturally the old grumbly butts didnt..... lol. 5150 & OU812 are filled with what I feel are amounst the greatest kickin guitar riffs ever. Then Ive been a big Hagar fan since I first heard his voice and attack in '73 (Montrose debut). More on Ronnie Montrose later.
They were actually referred to as "Van Hagar" and not "SamHalen" ... not sure where you got that from...

and this old grumbly butt does like the lineup with Hagar but just didn't consider it Van Halen anymore.. just a different band... but us Old grumbly's prefer the hard rocking Van Halen then the poppy hard rockish love songs the Hagar lineup sang about...

JHJ, I played that Little Aint Enough tape today and its not very memorable. Probably said best, that its good party music, not head music. Lots of typical rockers, typical Roth antics and a few smokey blues numbers like "Sensible Shoes" which stands out and a few others. Most riffs are nothing Eddie hadnt already done, they have that same sound. Solos are good but just to throw a comparision out there they pretty much were like a Vai/VH combination.

It was produced by Bob Rock, so that says it all why that album sucked and is party music or however you describe it.

SamHalen is what I always called them being as I thought VanHagar sounded dumb and it was primarily used as a way to insult the band. SamHalen doesnt change the rythymn of the name at all, its just one and a half letters difference.

The SamHalen version did have a few very commercial love songs but to sum it up that way is ignoring alot of great ass kickin tunes like Mine All Mine, 5150, Get Up, A.F.U., Source of Infection, Judgement Day, In and Out, just to name a few. That doesnt included any of the successful radio tunes of which less than half were.... "poppy hard rockish love songs"... such as Jump from 1984 wasVanHalen was infact a commercial metal band that had ties to old school hardrock but you cant play and riff like Eddie's style and be only "hardrock" he basically created the first stage of metal shredding as well as employed heavy useage of palm mutes and moving away from pentatonic scales in solos & riff/chord progressions that was typical hardrock. All of which he continued to do when Sammy was in the band. He really was a riff king in my book.

Most music with Roth was too predictable, you knew they were going to quiet the song down in the middle and he was going to do his "candy?... little girl?" routine and load the song up with those little squeaks. He wanted to do cover tunes, ect. ect. Fun music that had little depth or scope.... but I dont have those records so I cant speak for what I havent heard much of and Im sure there was some great songs Im unfimiliar with.

As for Bob Rock I would think Roth had plenty to do with it as well, good time rockin was what Dave had always done. I feel his strong suit was always the heavy bluesy stuff, great timbre for that kind of sound.

If you liked SamHalen you werent one of the grumbly butts. :cool:

So lots of reading but I explained myself well :heh:

There's been no love for Mattias Eklundh yet so I'll nominate "The Road Less Traveled" as one of the most innovative and unique instrumental guitar releases ever. His mastery of harmonics in particular makes Zakk Wylde's over-lauded pinch harmonics look like... well... over-lauded pinch harmonics :lol:.

I've been digging Buckethead a lot for years and he would be one of the few instrumental guitarists with a sufficiently diverse catalog as to never get boring. Anyone who writes him off as a mindless shredder needs to check out "Electric Tears" (simply beautiful, primarily acoustic-based album), Colma (very very moody), "The Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell" (imagine Meshuggah without vocals and songs with enough personality that they don't all sound the same) or get a sense of humour and "Bucketheadland 2".

I picked up John 5's solo albums just before xmas and was completely blown away. He has some killer chops, far more versatility than I would've given him credit for going by his Manson/Zombie work, and most of the songs are actually memorable *gasp*.

There's an Aussie guitarist Chris Brooks who released a heavily Dream Theater-inspired instrumental album called "The Master Plan" which kicks a lot of arse if you're into that kind of thing. Stu Marshall (currently in Paindivision, formerly from now-defunct Dungeon) is another awesome Aussie guitarist who put out a solo album "Altered States" last year. I expected a lot but was still pleasantly surprised by just how absorbing it is.

Ferrigno Leal Kuprij's "Promised Land" tends to cross over into the "mindless wank" category at times but there's an awesome fusiony vibe to most of the songs reminiscent of Planet X and the skills on display are absolutely jaw-dropping.

Kiko Loureiro (Angra) has two solo albums out so far. His most recent is a traditional-sounding Brazilian folk instrumental affair which still rules but his first self titled effort is probably more to the taste of the folk around here. If you like Friedman's solo albums I imagine you'll love Lourerio's. Other than for a couple flamenco-styled tracks it's generally insanely addictive metal instrumentals with the kind of expressiveness and layered subtlety that sets Friedman apart from so many other shredders.

As much as I dislike everything I have Paul Gilbert is on I'm feeling that I might have just got unlucky & got some of his lesser works.

Odds are you didn't get unlucky. His solo albums, for the most part, really do suck. Generic cheesy pop tunes for the most part. His most recent one "Get Out Of My Yard" starts off with an awesome sounding solo track but then goes back to the same-old Gilberto solo material. If you're a metal-head and you want to get the best value out of Paul Gilbert, Racer X is the only way to go :headbang:

Dave Martone is a modern guitar genius.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
Everything he touches turns to gold. Easily one of my favourite guitarists of all time.

G3 with Vai, Martone and Eklundh would be the ultimate aural orgasm.

Whos the guy that played for "Extreme" ? He had some dexterity, did he continue any kind of career in music ?

Nuno Bettencourt (spelling?). He released a few solo albums under various names and last I heard was playing in a band called Drama Gods but haven't had a chance to check them out yet. He's probably done more than that though.

Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme is an amazing guitarist. Much more than scale exercises going on in his head.

Martone is the man. I've been listening to him a lot, although Zone doesn't captivate me like some of his other stuff.

Guthrie is frightingly good, however I'm to the point where his ONE album bores me. I even got his Asia album out of curiosity. It's good, but not a guitar album by any means. More of a Pop-Rock album almost... I listened to Erotic Cakes just yesterday & it's not as jaw dropping as it once was. I would like to see him step outside the box a little more on his next album (I hope).

I don't like Mattias Eklundh so far. I'm partial to Buckethead (I don't love or hate him).

Marco Sfogli (from James LaBrie's band) & Kiko Loureiro have interested me. I like Angra a lot & I need to expand on what I have from them. Marco might just have it in him to do a good solo album.

Marco can open up for Vai, Martone, & Govan on the next G3 & I will cream my pants. You have nice taste Ferret.

If any of you have the "On Demand" feature from Comcast cable, you must chech out, in the music section, under guitar lessons, Andy Alodort. He teaches how Hendrix played his guitar and the various affects he used. Excellent piece for all you young guitar guns out there. Did you know, Hendrix always tuned down a half-step? I didn't. He teaches howe to play "The Star-Spangled" banner, and I swear it sounds exactly like Jimi. Amazing stuff!!!

run that past me again ? Comcast cable ? Must be an actually "cable" program? IOW someone with "Direct" dish TV probably doesnt have access? Bummer! I'd be into that. Im actually more into Hendrix's rhythms & lyrics than his solos, not that their was anything wrong with most of them, but it was that damn hammer-on double stop rhythm technique that blew me away. I knew he tuned down 1/2 step, not totally uncommon later on.