Shred?

Musician

Music is Life
Aug 16, 2007
Hey fellas. Well, over the past year or so, Opeth has slowly become one of my favorite bands. I think Mikael is an excellent lyricist, song writer, and soloist. There is something I've been wondering though: How good are Mikael's mechanics on the guitar? He's obviously well-versed in music theory, but is he capable of doing something along the lines of 16th notes at 220 bpm? Well, maybe that'd be a little much, but I've never really heard him shred much at all, and I was just curious if he ever has in the past. I already know that Fredrick Akesson has the shred in him, but does Mikael?​

I'm sure he could if he wanted, but it wouldn't fit Opeth's sound. The soloing him and Peter did was fantastic. Just go listen to Windowpane or Epilogue, now thats soloing. Doesn't have to be fast to be good. If you want blazing fast solos I guess listen to some Megadeth or something..

Yes, I agree. And I'm not saying all shred is good, because it's not. I'm just curious if Mikael actually has shredded in the past.

Not that this matters to this discussion at all, but it's known that Mikael isn't very learned in music theory...He does show a little hint of shred in a couple of his solos (White Cluster immediately comes to mind), but nothing at all like other shredders (with respect to speed).