Mikael - The soloist

Ah k cool. It happens... after all our only distinguishing factors are nicknames and a little picture, haha. But in any case you might yet hear a recording of the Funeral Portrait end solo from me in the near future. If I have any spare time I'll get to learning the thing, but there are more important things I have to pen down first.

Moonlapse said:
I'll beg to differ there. There is nothing considerably unique or good about Peter's style. It's all fairly rudimentary stuff and played rather slow in comparison to most metal soloists. Sure it's cool and does work with Opeth but when it comes to soloing in the metal mainstream, he's just able to stay afloat.

I see where you're coming from, but I really do think Peter is as unique as, if not Mikael, then at least any great 'brutal' metal soloist working today. Though maybe his 'soloist' abilities are not exactly what I'm considering, still when I saw Opeth live I was really floored by how constantly complex his lead lines were. I'd always thought there was much more 2-guitar interplay in certain songs (The Moor, Deliverance), but I saw that more often than not Mike is holding the melodic foundation, while Peter is doing all of the accenting stuff. Of course I'm not comparing him to power/prog soloists, but that's more a matter of my personal distaste for shred/neoclassical solos in the first place, I have infinately more appreciation for tasteful melodic leads than the ARGH I'M FAST!! stuff.