Mikael - The soloist

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
It didn't actually hit me until a short time ago, whilst listening to Steel's 'Say Goodbye (to love)' how well Mikael can solo. No, I don't mean in the technical death-shred sense, but in that he really knows what notes to play to make you say 'fuck yeah', because let's face it, the metal solo is the climax of a song, the part where you are meant to have your aural orgy. Mikael can give you this orgy with proficiency :D.

Despite learning the Forest solo, Serenity Solo, Leper solo etc. - essentially a whole multitude of Opeth solos, it never really hit me how much of an impact this man has on my own guitar playing. His ability pull something off in his own style (I can almost always tell its him playing) yet suited to so many things is crazy. From the slow serene solo in 'A Fair Judgement' to his crazy rock pentantonic shred in 'Mordet i Grottan'.

So anyhow, this is a tribute to Mike, an underrated soloist with great feel and a repertoire larger than all the music I know (cheers for the pic Decadent).

:worship:
mike-jesus.jpg

he's my guitar hero. what more to say?

im a person whos fond of feeling, and not much technicality. for instance i have always believed that the solo at the end of anathema's "one last goodbye" is the greatest one ever. it's so moving.

the same goes for opeth...their solos are rare but all very precious gems. take the one in "blackwater park"...top notch stuff on a middle eastern scale.

or the one on benighted. just beautiful

his solos are very distinctive I love them. He can do all kinds of solos well emotional solos or even just rockout solos which I admire

can anyone upload some steel songs or something i really wanna hear that stuff

deliverance said:
speaking of Steel. Big Ern, what'd you think of the EP?

Haha that's rather funny. Quite unexpected from these 3 guys (by the way who's drumming? from the sound I would guess it is programmed drums), I can't believe how high Swano can g., He is indeed a very versatile singer. I had only heard a few Edge of Sanity songs and, well, it's a little different to say the least. It is a pretty enjoyable listen, though I'm glad they only made an EP, more of a tribute to old school metal than a real project. The Manowar-ish titles say a lot about the seriousness of this music. Good songs overall.

As for the original topic, I really like Mikeal's solos. He has one of the best sense of melody I've ever seen. The one in SPD is sooooo good I just can't get enough of it. Sometimes, the fewer the better. You don't have to play 200 notes/sec to be a good lead player, and Mike understands that perfectly.

Other personal favorite solos : 2nd in Windowpane, The Drapery Falls, To Bid You Farewell, Deliverance (god I love that lead break right before the "deliverance, deliverance" part).

The only Opeth solos I know are the ones in Windowpane and The Funeral Portrait (I used to know the one in Benighted, but I don't play that song much so I forgot it). I always knew that Mikael was good, but when I was learning The Funeral Portrait, it struck me just how good. The second solo, right off the bat, I'm greeted by this:

|--12-------------------------------------9------------------
|-----13--------------------------12--12----10--------------
|--------14--------------------13---------------11-----------
|-----------14--------------13---------------------11--------
|--------------14-12-11-14----------------------------12-8--
|-------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------11--------------------|
---------------12-13-----12----------------|
------------14---------------13------------|
---------14---------------------13---------|
--12-15----------------------------14-11---|
--------------------------------------------|

I was just like, 'Ah, fuck.' I thought that when I stopped trying to play Yngwie I wouldn't see any more shit like this. But there it was: five string sweep arpeggios. ~_~ Sweeping over more than four strings always was a big problem for me, but I practiced that part over and over for about two days, and on the third, I finally got it to where I can play them consistently. So, yay for me, or something. ~_~ But the point is, Mikael is a better guitarist than I had ever thought (TFP isn't the first song whose solos have had such arpeggios, I've seen).

Anyway, to further what Moonlapse was saying, Mikael is damn good at playing a solo to suit the song. TFP's solos are sick and rather eerie sounding, and technically challenging. Windowpane's solos (especially that second one!) are emotional and moving, with no unnecessary technical flair. But I appreciate that technical flair on TFP: it has made me a better guitarist through learning those solos; now five string arpeggios are no problem. =D

i would think so too.. its more his style.. and i dunno its not all that crazy that arpeggio part .i dont think..

Yeah, Peter usually does the sweeps. Mike does a few arpeggiated runs ocasionally, but normally to a moderate extent within context of the whole solo.... no generic up/down metal patterns :lol:

Not to diss that though, because the start of Children of Bodom's 'Towards Dead End' is one of my favourite parts to play on guitar. Arpeggios are fun.

With the Steel stuff, though, Dan pushes his voice way too high. It's definately not made to be in that range, and he just sounds like those chipmunked fast-forward vocals. He does a few ballady parts in his normal range, which sounds alot better. But really, leave the high stuff to the power metal bands, haha.

Mike has an ability to blend his solos perfectly within his songs. when I listen to deliverance, I always miss the first solo because it just BLENDS! it doesn't stand out - it flows with the melody.

I totally know what you mean man. I remember trying to play this solo a long time ago and it almost felt impossible. The hardest part for me when I started practicing sweeping was keeping extraneous string noise down, and it was hard for me to switch positions, like at the beginng you decend from the high E on the 12th fret, then you move to another descending arpeggio 9-10-11-11-12. It takes tons of practice, and the main thing I learned is to start slow and be patient. Looks like your persistance paid off in the end! gj. I definately agree with what everyone has been saying about Mike too, sometimes you wonder where he comes up with some of this stuff.

TFP solo (I left out the second part of the solo because the tab I have doesnt quite look right):

http://hmonti.home.pipeline.com/Funeralsolo.mp3

Mantraschism said:
The only Opeth solos I know are the ones in Windowpane and The Funeral Portrait (I used to know the one in Benighted, but I don't play that song much so I forgot it). I always knew that Mikael was good, but when I was learning The Funeral Portrait, it struck me just how good. The second solo, right off the bat, I'm greeted by this:

|--12-------------------------------------9------------------
|-----13--------------------------12--12----10--------------
|--------14--------------------13---------------11-----------
|-----------14--------------13---------------------11--------
|--------------14-12-11-14----------------------------12-8--
|-------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------11--------------------|
---------------12-13-----12----------------|
------------14---------------13------------|
---------14---------------------13---------|
--12-15----------------------------14-11---|
--------------------------------------------|

I was just like, 'Ah, fuck.' I thought that when I stopped trying to play Yngwie I wouldn't see any more shit like this. But there it was: five string sweep arpeggios. ~_~ Sweeping over more than four strings always was a big problem for me, but I practiced that part over and over for about two days, and on the third, I finally got it to where I can play them consistently. So, yay for me, or something. ~_~ But the point is, Mikael is a better guitarist than I had ever thought (TFP isn't the first song whose solos have had such arpeggios, I've seen).

Anyway, to further what Moonlapse was saying, Mikael is damn good at playing a solo to suit the song. TFP's solos are sick and rather eerie sounding, and technically challenging. Windowpane's solos (especially that second one!) are emotional and moving, with no unnecessary technical flair. But I appreciate that technical flair on TFP: it has made me a better guitarist through learning those solos; now five string arpeggios are no problem. =D