Mikael - The soloist

^haha, and when you do and if you can get that second part right (almost sounds like harmonized tapping, but the tab im looking at doesht seem right) lemme know how you played it, point me in the direction of a good tab or somethin, thanks.

The shame is that I don't have the song on here, so I'm just going by the tab. But that 'harmonized' part doesn't seem right... I mean it's relatively difficult to play as it's written there and it sounds muddy as hell. That first arpeggio is a bit weird too, isn't it, you have to really squeeze your fingers into the 14th fret ahaha, this is fun.

And yeah, the forest solo just plain rules to play. It's fast but not hard, so you can show off to friends hehe.

Yeah before I played it I just went by memory and the tab I was looking at. Yeah that harmonized part is weird, wish I could find out the right way to play it.. the first arpeggio really isnt that tricky. I learned to just use my ring finger to play all those notes on the 14th just by using pressure and angling my finger differently while descending, very hard to explain, if I had a webcam youd get it but I dont.. fucking Comcast (my cable internet provider) never sent me the god damn free webcam they promised..... bastards..

Wow...Moonlapse that Forest solo sounded really good. I'm going to have to learn it now!!!

Mantraschism said:
@Moonlapse: I don't think that tab is wrong. I play it along with the CD, and it blends perfectly. It's just fucked up to play. =P
Well, can you record it maybe? I'd like to hear it, especially that one part.

Damn it, why do I have the urge to try and learn a solo that I know is going to be out of my ability to play??? Screw this thread and all of y'all!

well, IMO Mikael is an outstanding guitar players, he hasn't studied guitar, but his technique is unique, but the fact is that he doesn't brag when he is soloing, he just plays from his heart, and to me, that's something that appreciate, there's many technical/virtues guitar players, but there's only a few that can touch heart through a guitar melody, and again, i appreciate that a million times more than the technical way.

Peter, to me, is equally gifted as Mikael is, the way that he sees the music is as good as Mikael's way, his solo in Wreath is awesome. Technically they are great, but the most important part is that they can reach my heart though Opeth's music, and to me, that's unpayable.

he really knows what notes to play to make you say 'fuck yeah'

I know exactly what you mean..

You know, you're like, 'fuckin......yehhahhhh!' or 'Oooh yeh!' (as in Uber)

I can't describe it any other way but....welll 'FUCK YEAH Mmmm!' (pelvic thrust)

Seriously, I just like to think about when it happens...it makes you a little giddy, ya know?

Dseven said:
...his technique is unique...

There's something to be said for the fact that almost any band that does fast, rhythmic chord-change riffs gets called an Opeth rip-off. And the fact (IMHO) that Mike is a considerably better soloist than Peter, seeing as Peter is a considerably better soloist than almost anyone else.

Mikael is still God.

Mantraschism said:
@Moonlapse: Alright, I just listened to your Forest solo and your Funeral solo. Damn good job on the Forest solo! It sounds almost exactly like the album!

As for the Funeral solo, I noticed that you kept throwing in rests where there aren't any, and it messed up the whole rhythm of the solo. Maybe that's why you thought the tab was wrong? There are parts where you just let the note ring, but mostly you just flow with it.

Now I've gotta go learn that Forest solo....
Uh, I haven't made any recordings of the Funeral Solo. Thanks on the compliments for the Forest solo though (which I did actually do).

The Grimace said:
There's something to be said for the fact that almost any band that does fast, rhythmic chord-change riffs gets called an Opeth rip-off. And the fact (IMHO) that Mike is a considerably better soloist than Peter, seeing as Peter is a considerably better soloist than almost anyone else.

Mikael is still God.
I'll beg to differ there. There is nothing considerably unique or good about Peter's style. It's all fairly rudimentary stuff and played rather slow in comparison to most metal soloists. Sure it's cool and does work with Opeth but when it comes to soloing in the metal mainstream, he's just able to stay afloat.