New Shred Albums!

ComCast cable is a company that supplies cable tv to homes in my area. Fuck man, their a HUGE company throughout the United States. They have a feature called "On Demand" where you can stream movies, tv shows and fuckin' guitar lessons. Andy Aledort(Guitar Magazine) gives demonstrations and teachings about Hendrix. I posted this as to maybe assist a guitarist on here to learn about Jimi's techniques, if they didn't already know. Did you catch it that time? Aledort teaches about Jimi's rhythms. He covers everything. He never even mentioned "hammer-on double stop rhythm.

Thats because it typically the last thing on someones lips when they talk about "Hendrix" the guitar player. You hear about how he used distortion, feedback, overdriven amps, wahwah, and multiple tracks and sound effects in the studio. But then the song Little Wing is one of his most highly praised and covered by quite a few guitar players. Last year I did a search of "Little Wing" and came up with at least 11 versions not counting the origional and with what some people had on them for who or what band was actually playing them was all fucked up and hard to sort out, but I have most of them figured out.
Derek & the Dominos - did not use this technique
Ten Years After - kinda ruff but tried, might not even be Lee, single acoustic guitar and old sounding
Paul Rogers - singing but I have no idea whos playing in the band, great job
Skid Row - did a great job
The Coors - an alternate version, different arrangment, some use of technique
Pearl Jam - eh, its alright
Frank Zappa - not sure whos on guitar, could be Vai, could be Zappa but then it could be Marino because Marino and Zappa have very similar voices
Steve Vai - has played it many times and the G3 video with Vai, Satch & Yngwie playing it brought a tear to my eye.
SRV - say no more
Metallica - live, nice try Kirt but give it up
then theres this one that just blows me away, I found examples of it naming every great guitar player under the sun, but something tells me its gotta be SRV

anyhow

for starters we'll go to the root of the defination
http://www.answers.com/topic/double-stops
then we'll try this
http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/rock/hendrix-doublestops.html

Edit : I can see clearly that I should just give up

SamHalen is what I always called them being as I thought VanHagar sounded dumb and it was primarily used as a way to insult the band. SamHalen doesnt change the rythymn of the name at all, its just one and a half letters difference.

The SamHalen version did have a few very commercial love songs but to sum it up that way is ignoring alot of great ass kickin tunes like Mine All Mine, 5150, Get Up, A.F.U., Source of Infection, Judgement Day, In and Out, just to name a few. That doesnt included any of the successful radio tunes of which less than half were.... "poppy hard rockish love songs"... such as Jump from 1984 wasVanHalen was infact a commercial metal band that had ties to old school hardrock but you cant play and riff like Eddie's style and be only "hardrock" he basically created the first stage of metal shredding as well as employed heavy useage of palm mutes and moving away from pentatonic scales in solos & riff/chord progressions that was typical hardrock. All of which he continued to do when Sammy was in the band. He really was a riff king in my book.

Most music with Roth was too predictable, you knew they were going to quiet the song down in the middle and he was going to do his "candy?... little girl?" routine and load the song up with those little squeaks. He wanted to do cover tunes, ect. ect. Fun music that had little depth or scope.... but I dont have those records so I cant speak for what I havent heard much of and Im sure there was some great songs Im unfimiliar with.

As for Bob Rock I would think Roth had plenty to do with it as well, good time rockin was what Dave had always done. I feel his strong suit was always the heavy bluesy stuff, great timbre for that kind of sound.

If you liked SamHalen you werent one of the grumbly butts. :cool:

So lots of reading but I explained myself well :heh:
Van Halen were always about "good time" music whether with Roth or Hagar just Roth did it better... Their music never had depth or scope etc.. like other serious rock bands... as for Jump on 1984. That was a clue in which direction Eddie was heading which he did with the 5150 album.

But if you do not have the Roth albums then you really should get them and give them a good listen before passing judgement of them vs VAN HAGAR years. I think you would change your mind. Start out with the first 2 VH albums and progress from there. I saw them recently in their reunion tour and they kicked ass playing those "good times" songs with no depth or scope as you call them. And it was felt in the audience that the Roth era is always more preferred.

As for Bob Rock. Any band he touches he destroys eventually. Roth, Metallica etc..

Sam Halen, that's a great thing to call them! Way better than Van Hagar.

Ah no. Van Hagar sounds way better because their name starts with a "V" and then a "H". Simple as that >>>>>> VH

Ah no. Van Hagar sounds way better because their name starts with a "V" and then a "H". Simple as that >>>>>> VH

Sorry, you are totally wrong about this... :cool:

but seriously here it is in writing and I remember well it was used as a way to degrade the addition of ONE member - "The band's commercial success and new "Van Hagar" sound did little to woo many fans who still held a strong resentment over Roth's departure and refused to move on." "Many who had heard the previous incarnation of Van Halen called the new iteration "Van Hagar" either derisively or affectionately." I never heard it used affectionately, everyone was always grumbling.

In my opinion Roth is a tool, Sammy is the reigning king of rock n roll, the ultimate rock voice, always felt that way since '73 and always will, only challenged by Steven Tyler

Then whos to say Van Hager could not be Van Morrison and Sammy Hager or any other European name prefixed with Van..... hmm :) ?

How about Vanhagargraft Generator

or Vandenbergar

see, its just stupit!

Theres a coincedence, Ronnie Montrose did studio work for Van Morrison but I digress.

Seriously again, I have wanted to get "VanHalen" again someday, it was an important piece of work... nearly as much as 5150 & OU812 :heh: I believe 1984 is around here somewhere on tape but I never listen to it. At least SAM HALEN never did a song like "Dance the Night Away" :Smokin:

all in good fun guys, like what you like