New Slayer record due in the summer 2012

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
Looks like we're getting another Slayer record this summer and it looks like they are rushing it again. I for one, just want a better record than WPB and not another rushed product. Also, I ask why Fidelman as producer? He's one of the worst in the business, and I don't know why anybody chooses him.

SLAYER guitarist Kerry King has revealed plans for the band’s follow-up to 2009's World Painted Blood and he tells Metal Hammer that their next full-length will be completed and possibly released as early as this summer.

“Currently we’re taking a break, but I am very excited by the way it’s all turning out so far,” King says. “I’ve worked up three songs with Dave (Lombardo; drums) and they’re sounding really refreshing and energetic. I’m certain that I’ll have three more ready to go when we return to action.”

King adds: “I don’t think we’ll spend long in the studio this time either. We’re gonna do it old school style and get things done fast. In fact, we are already ahead of schedule. The album will be ready for a summer release. But whether it’s put out at that time is down to the record label [American]. They might have other plans. But we want it with the fans during the summer.”

When asked about guitarist Jeff Hanneman's recovery from from necrotizing fasciitis he continued: "We could go onstage with him right now and do ‘Mandatory Suicide'. If that was the only song in our set, Jeff would be fine. But he’s slowly getting himself back to full fitness and by the time we’re ready to tour he’ll be right back onstage with us.”

Tom on Jeff...

"Jeff is recording and writing with us on the album. He can still play, and he is rehearsing with us. It’s just that he needs to get his chops up before he joins us live again.”

Producer for the album: “All four of us have agreed that the guy that we want to record our new record will be the same gentleman who recorded our last album (World Painted Blood), Greg Fidelman. We just had a really great experience with him last time, loved the sound, and, if we can make our timings match up, we would love to record with him again. We’ll probably bring him in towards the end of the writing process, which is what we did last time.”

When will the band enter the studio: “We are aiming to have something down by May, before the touring kicks off over the summer.”

Looks like we're getting another Slayer record this summer and it looks like they are rushing it again. I for one, just want a better record than WPB and not another rushed product. Also, I ask why Fidelman as producer? He's one of the worst in the business, and I don't know why anybody chooses him.

I don't like saying these things usually. But in all honesty, if you haven't given up on Slayer, you should do so when this new album releases. Good, bad, doesn't matter, just give up on them.

You should give up on trying to piss me off because you fail everytime.

Um, not trying to piss you off. Pissing you off would be posting a lot of Spiderman in every reply I give to you. I'm just saying that WPB wasn't that horrible in my opinion, but after the upcoming release, there's no way they can come up with something that's amazing in any way/shape/form.

I think everyone knows your comment's will be negative and non constructive hate bashing.

Sorry Mr. Slayer fanboy sir. Allow me to reiterate.

WPB had poor production and shoddily written songs that failed to live up to any sort of expectations that rational metal fans had. Given Slayer's extremely obvious decline since around 1994, coupled with these statements given by the band, it's simplke mathematics that the new Slayer albums will be pretty rubbish.

I'd love to have another good Slayer album, but I don't think it will ever happen. Ever. Typical example of a band who've run out of ideas and are struggling to keep up with newer bands. This my friend, is a fact - you wanna like Slayer, fine. No problem. But don't expect everyone else to whoop in joy because I think I speak for 99% of people here when I say that the new album will be a steaming bucket of putrefaction that could possibly be even worse than the last one, if that's at all possible.

But whatever, I've judge it when I hear it. Any questions?

I know their last few albums have not been too Slayerish but my god we're not talking about the Offspring here. Anyband can write shitty albums and all your favorite bands will probably write a shit album sooner or later. Getting old doesn't help, but I know Slayer can put out another good record it's a matter of do they want to? I guess we'll see on the next record. Thanks for a more, brainful response Thrasher I can respect that more than just an angry bash with no backup.

The problem is that bands at their level can (and will) churn out any old shit and they know that die-hard fans will buy it anyway, regardless of how crappy it may be. Given recent outputs by bands like Slayer, Metallica etc. I really think it's nothing but wishful thinking on fans' part that the next album will be good. Again, time will tell and I'll listen to anything once but all evidence points to this being a pretty shitty album. Hell, look at Th1rt3en... *shudders* no thanks!

Why keep looking to the veteran acts for your fix anyway? My eyes are on the newer bands these days - in this instance, 99% of modern thrash bands sound almost exactly like Slayer anyway. Minus the piss poor songwriting as of late. There's no shortage of Slayer-esque bands out there at all, and they're all doing it better than Slayer are so since those bands are essentially the future, why not give them a go? Food for thought.

All of that aside, if I enjoy this album as much as I enjoyed a handful of the songs on Christ Illusion then fuck me... maybe they were just screwing with us.

Pop in a Slayer album and learn some new english words.

You have serious problems...

I'm pretty sure most everyone here agrees that, from Diabolus onward, Slayer have released mediocre album after mediocre album. Why should I even try to give them a chance? It wasn't worth it the last 4 times. Some guys just don't know when to quit and Slayer are already way past their expiration date. If you think otherwise, you're either delusional or just a blind fanboy.

You might also be a troll but, then again, you're the guy who thinks Slayer albums are a good place to enrich one's vocabulary so I shouldn't really judge...

God Hates Us All had it's moments on the limited edition (Scarstruck I really enjoyed) and Christ Illusion had a couple of tracks that I still love, namely Skeleton Christ and Supremist (terrible grammatical error on their part there, though). But aye, despite each album having character they've ranged from merely decent (Diabolus) to totally fucking abysmal (World Painted Shite).