New Slayer record due in the summer 2012

Why keep looking to the veteran acts for your fix anyway? My eyes are on the newer bands these days - in this instance, 99% of modern thrash bands sound almost exactly like Slayer anyway. Minus the piss poor songwriting as of late. There's no shortage of Slayer-esque bands out there at all, and they're all doing it better than Slayer are so since those bands are essentially the future, why not give them a go? Food for thought.

I agree with this. Plenty of young, new bands out there making records that are more impressive than the recent offerings of the 80s thrash legends.
I really liked God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion, but WPB was a turd.

You think the "Big Four" are even aware of the new thrash bands like Evile, Havok, Lazarus A.D. or Vektor?

Don't misinterpret that statement though, I actually think that a hell of a lot of newer bands are bloody shite. But they're still putting out better music than the piss poor big four.

Damn. Someone got all defensive.... Sheesh. I got to work for a day and this is what happens when I'm gone? :lol:

Don't misinterpret that statement though, I actually think that a hell of a lot of newer bands are bloody shite. But they're still putting out better music than the piss poor big four.

Do these bands put consitent good records out or are they just one hit wonders? True talented bands can continue to release record after record of great material. Now they may put out a bad record like everyone but if they can manage 5 or 6 great albums I will respect them. Of course playing live counts, I can't fully respect a band if they can't play live.

In the last year I have seen Warbringer about 4 times, Bonded by Blood twice and Havok twice and they fucking deliver live! Backing it up with memorable songs from the album is another story.

The Big four have been resting on their laurels for far too long. Then again, maybe it is that difficult to tread new territory when it comes to thrash metal. Vektor seems to be one of the few bands doing anything original or new. As much as I love Havok, Evile and Warbringer, I know they will never achieve the success of the Big Four or even other bands such as Death Angel or Overkill and I think it is a damn shame. I really wish one of the big four bands would step up to the plate and do a real thrash metal tour and help some of the new thrash bands like Evile or Havok gain a greater fan base. I think the music downloading trend of the last decade will prevent the new thrash bands from achieving the success of Slayer or Megadeth.

People were saying the same thing about Slayer and Metallica in the 80's. They were saying these devil bands will never get big. Well someone has to fill in the gap when the big 4 is gone and someone will emerge as the big winner. All the crap will fade away and the bands with the best records and talent will emerge victorious. Also the government is starting to crack down on torrent sites etc.. so that will help.

To be read with epic trailer voice:

People were saying the same thing about Slayer and Metallica in the 80's. They were saying these devil bands will never get big. Well someone has to fill in the gap when the big 4 is gone and someone will emerge as the big winner. All the crap will fade away and the bands with the best records and talent will emerge victorious. Also the government is starting to crack down on torrent sites etc.. so that will help.

The sun will shine once more, every new metal band will be amazing and the old guys will keep releasing classic after classic. And then, after the great rain of cake and bacon, the world will rejoice in pools of beer and seas of roses...

Seriously though, why does someone need to fill for the big 4? Now the "big 4" is 4 old bands that were good but at the same time shamed the genre with some of its worst releases. Other metal subgenres never needed a "big 4" to be recognized so why does this stigma of constantly trying to create "the new big 4" even exist? Its a part of metal history/culture and its all fine and good but I think we'd all be better off without this fixation for a need to choose an elite group of bands as representatives of the genre.

I've said it before, but i like WPB. Yes, production is aweful, but i like the simplicity. Might be strange to hear that from someone who likes Dream Theater, but it sounds like a bunch of dudes having fun in a garage.

oh well, i'll wait and hear

I've said it before, but i like WPB. Yes, production is aweful, but i like the simplicity. Might be strange to hear that from someone who likes Dream Theater, but it sounds like a bunch of dudes having fun in a garage.

oh well, i'll wait and hear

I don't mind it either. Didn't want to be the only one to say it so I kept my mouth shut :lol:. If they improved the production and soloing it would be a half decent record. There are some pretty bad songs on it though.

NO FUCKING FAGGOT U CANT LIKE THAT ALBUM I HOP U DIE ASSHOLE FAGOT SHIT ASS BITCH

Seriously, if someone likes such things then fine. They're entitled to their opinion, just as I'm entitled to take the piss out of them for liking a shitty album :lol: Honestly, I see no musical merits to WPB whatsoever. I think that album is what gave Iommi cancer.

Thrash metal, and nearly every form of heavy metal since the mid eighties in fact, was strongly influenced by punk. A lot 'crossover thrash' bands are more often than not quite well reknowned in the hardcore circles.

Your arguement, good sir, is flawed, narrow and utterly preposterous.

When the NWOBHM bands came out it kicked punk music in the ass. In fact the NWOBHM bands helped kill the popularity of punk down and open up peoples eyes to something better, something with more brains... and talent. There was feuds in some cases with NWOBHM vs Punkers. People were really enjoying those bands after having to hear all that punker slop. They may have used elements of punk but they did it right, they did it with cleverness, complexity, talent, and they did it better.