Metallica's new freak project record

Alteredmindeath

Wasteland Survivor
Mar 5, 2003
Underneath your bed
What the fuck are they thinking?? Making a record with Lou Reed, why don't they just make a record with the ex-members of Pink Floyd and Jimmy Page too while their at it. What do ya think about this strange rubbish?

A few months ago our own Kirk Hammett hinted at a new Metallica project that's "not really 100 percent a Metallica record." While Kirk may have jumped the gun a little (and has since been properly punished with a series of push-ups!), we are more than proud to announce that we have just completed recording a full length album that is a collaboration with none other than the legendary Lou Reed.

Ever since we had the pleasure of performing with Lou at the 25th Anniversary of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame at Madison Square Garden in October of 2009, we have been kicking around the idea of making a record together. Some of you astute Bay Area residents may have picked up news of recent Lou Reed sightings in the greater San Francisco area and we have indeed been working at our home studio at HQ on and off over the last few months. In what would be lightning speed for a Metallica related project, we recorded ten songs during this time and while at this moment we're not exactly sure when you'll hear it, we're beyond excited to share with you that the recording sessions wrapped up last week.

A true innovator and easily one of the most influential songwriters, musicians, and performers in rock music history, Lou's work with the Velvet Underground and as a solo artist has such an enduring quality that he has long been revered and respected by us and many of our peers. We can't wait for you to listen to the finished record, so as we like to hear ourselves say around here, keep watching this spot for updates . . . we'll be back with more details as they come together.

http://www.metallica.com/news/20110615_news.asp

I'm a metal fan I like other music besides metal. I just find it cocky that Metallica think they can do anything they want and not suffer consequences. I'm not going to bash it before it's out, but if anyone knows Lou Reed {he will be singing} he's quit mellow. Metallica used to be my favorite band long time ago, but they have let me down too many times and they don't give a shit about metal music anymore. They only know a couple metal bands, and they don't even acknowledge metal in general. I know it's an off project but why waste more time, they are getting old and time's wasting. Another thing I notice is they don't have the balls to release a record right before Megadeth, because they know Mustaine is winning this battle now. By the time Metallica's career is over, I won't be suprised if they start making hip-hop records with JZ and Beyonce.

1. there is no battle anymore between Metallica and Megadeth
2. Metallica can do what they want. if they want to make a collaboration with Lou Reed, why not?

Metallica just write the music they want to write, and i'll see if i like it. and i think that's the right order.

^Agreed.

Think of it like a side project. Like when they formed St. Anger and released their self titled album in 2003. :p

1. there is no battle anymore between Metallica and Megadeth
2. Metallica can do what they want. if they want to make a collaboration with Lou Reed, why not?

Metallica just write the music they want to write, and i'll see if i like it. and i think that's the right order.

While it does seem that way, the truth is deep inside there is still a competition believe it or not. There is still a hidden war going on. I know Kirk Hammet will not let Mustaine take the win, and I know Hammet doesn't like Mustaine and vice versa. Mustaine just started kissing Metallica's ass because then all the whiny Metallica fans would buy some of the new Megadeth records. You won't see Metallica putting out one of their records right before Megadeth, and you won't see Megadeth putting out a record before or at the same time as Metallica. You think Mustaine likes Metallica taking the sales? Do you think Metallica like Mustaine getting all the attention? Both bands are very competitive, and they won't just let the other just knock them out of the park with sales. Whatever the reason for the Lou Reed collaboration (most likely money sales) it was thrown together and recorded in 2 weeks. Another thing that pisses me off about Metallica is they lied right through their teeth about recording a new album. Lars stated they would start in March, and now they are saying it will be done when it's done and I say fuck that bullshit. Instead, they want to be anti this and anti that, or is this just their scheme to bring in classic rock fans? Either way, I'm about through with Metallica's crustyness. I was nice to them about Death Magnetic, and now they are so out of ideas they need to conjure up a hippy guitarist from the 60's and 70's.

Did Metallica arse rape you or something? You seem pretty bitter about it.

Look at it this way. Metallica have been going for how many years now? They've put out their classics. You're not gonna get that again. So just enjoy what they did. There's no point in them trying to totally beat what they've done. But clearly they still enjoy making music together... SO is this not just a chance for them to continue to be creative with each other? You can't stop creativity, no matter what form it's in. You just sounds very bitter for some strange reason. It's just a band.

Going to your last sentence. Maybe they actually just want a change instead of people going "PWAY FWASH METUULLLZZ!!" For how many years? Myself, I play shit loads of different genres all the time because it's refreshing. And if a 19 year old could get sick of playing the same shit for just a year, imagine what they've had to put up with.

Weather this album is good or not doesn't matter. Just leave em to do what they want because I don't think they have anything more to prove to the world. They're just enjoying themselves.

I'm really not surprised by this. Metallica have done folky stuff before, is this really much different? Hardly a 'freak' project. Maybe if they were working with an acid jazz artist it could be considered 'freaky'. Maybe you guys are just freaked out by things too easily and I'm a super fearless wolf tiger.

Look at it this way. Metallica have been going for how many years now? They've put out their classics. You're not gonna get that again. So just enjoy what they did. There's no point in them trying to totally beat what they've done. But clearly they still enjoy making music together... SO is this not just a chance for them to continue to be creative with each other? You can't stop creativity, no matter what form it's in. You just sounds very bitter for some strange reason. It's just a band.

Going to your last sentence. Maybe they actually just want a change instead of people going "PWAY FWASH METUULLLZZ!!" For how many years? Myself, I play shit loads of different genres all the time because it's refreshing. And if a 19 year old could get sick of playing the same shit for just a year, imagine what they've had to put up with.

Weather this album is good or not doesn't matter. Just leave em to do what they want because I don't think they have anything more to prove to the world. They're just enjoying themselves.

checkmate

They arse raped my ears with too many bad tunes, and now the ears are infected with STD's. I'll leave the arse raping up to asskissing Metallica fans that would buy a pile of shit with flies if they released it. Didn't know their was rules set up about bitterness here, I guess everyone is suppossed to be happy, cheery and positive here like disneyland. Well they can do what the fuck they want, but that's not going to stop opinions from happening. The record could be good, the record could be crap but surely can't be as bad as the Load albums or could it? We'll see about that

I made a thread to discuss the new project and I let off some steam off my chest and now I'm being attacked by fan-boys. Now I wouldn't of made the thread if I didn't want to discuss the project. So far some of the facts we know.

It was an improbable match: Lou Reed's cutting-monotone voice and explicit stories of desire and despair, lashed to Metallica's apocalyptic charge. It is now a perfect fit. In a recent rapid series of sessions at Metallica's studio north of San Francisco, the New York king of avant-rock and the world's bestselling thrash-metal band have recorded a new studio album together that is unlike any either artist has made before. The record, not yet titled, features 10 songs composed by Reed with significant arrangement contributions by the band that suggest a raging union of his 1973 noir classic, Berlin, and Metallica's '86 crusher, Master of Puppets.

"A marriage made in heaven," Reed says in his first interview about the project, in the studio lounge during a break. "I knew it from the first day we played together: 'Oh, man, this is perfection, right in front of me.' "

Metallica's Hammett Preps for Big Four 'Thrash Reunion'

"I don't think we've ever felt this free," Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich says, sitting next to Reed on a couch. "There's nothing that's totally outside of the boundary for us, nothing that feels like 'Oh, what happens if we go there?' The strength of us" – he gestures at Reed – "is it feels like we cannot land on a wrong place."

"They're bringing Metallica, with all that power," Reed confirms. "And because they're pretty sophisticated, wherever I go, they're still with me."

Reed and Metallica first played together in October 2009, at the 25th Anniversary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concerts in New York. Ulrich, singer-guitarist James Hetfield, guitarist Kirk Hammett and bassist Robert Trujillo backed Reed on two of his classic songs. "We knew from then," Reed says, "that we were made for each other." He and the band first planned to cut an album of his older material, "fallen jewels that no one remembered," as Reed puts it. That changed a week before Reed showed up at Metallica's studio. He called the band, proposing a record of songs he'd written for Lulu, a theatrical production of stories by the German author Frank Wedekind, directed by Robert Wilson and currently running in Berlin.

Photos: Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax Rock Big 4 Festival

"Lars and I listened to the stuff," Hetfield says of Reed's demos, "and it was like, 'Wow, this is very different.' It was scary at first, because the music was so open. But then I thought, 'This could go anywhere.' " Metallica started writing parts built from vocal rhythms and electronic patterns on the demos.

The result is at once unpredictable and viciously tight. "Pumping Blood" opens with a drone that breaks into a crunching march, goes into speed-metal gear and breaks into free-fall sections – all over seven minutes, cut live in one take. Another track, "Mistress Dread," features Reed singing across a relentless staccato riff played at manic velocity. "It doesn't feel like we're his backup band," Hammett claims. "It feels like we're a different band, in a situation we've never been in before." And, Trujillo notes, "it's making us a better band."

Metallica: Three Decades of Metal Mayhem

Ulrich says the album is "90 percent" finished. But there are no release plans yet. Reed does not have a record deal, and Metallica are no longer on Warner Bros. "We are free to go wherever," Ulrich says. "I'm obviously psyched for people to hear this, in whatever way we feel is right."

Hetfield has one condition. "I told Lou I want to be there when people hear it," he says, grinning. "I want to see their faces."

Hhhhmm.... Now I am really intruiged by this. Metallica without James singing? Hhmm....

I really think they should just call this a side project though, new name and all. Either way, I need to hear this when it comes out.