New song by my band (For Today, MCMB, The Ghost Inside influences inside!)

Ganks

Nov 1, 2009
Hey guys,

We finally finished a new song, and we're recording vocals tomorrow.
Let me know what you think of this mix!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2798302/EXTREME MAKEOVER - WHORE EDITION.mp3

Production details:

Drums are real with Steven Slate samples
Guitars are POD w/ Big Bottom Amp
Bass was just direct in clean with some serious EQ.
Synth was direct in with plate verb and some EQ

2 guitar tracks, both panned 100%.

Any tips to improve this mix?

UPDATED MIX:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2798302/NEWMIX_WKF.mp3

Playing is sloppy.
You didnt quantize the drums aye?

And at 1:38 when the other guitar/s come in it sounds out.
The end snare hit at 2:08 cuts off weird.

Alot of little things that need fixing.

Although none of that is tips on the mix haha, improve the playing first i think.

What is so sloppy about the playing here?
The guitars are off occasionally.
But nothing is TOO bad, is it?:erk:

Yeah, I always fight with the volume of my cymbals, because my overheads such a lot of ass. :)

So does my recording environment, at the moment.

I may give them a little 2 DB boost or so.

Thanks for the input! :)

Any other suggestions?

Yeah the drums would sound slightly better quantized and the playing could be tighter. It's not like it's terrible playing at all man. It's just that for this sort of metal production usually you'd expect everything to be absolutely perfect. Also the snare rolls sound a bit weird, not sure exactly what's going on with them...

I'd personally say lose the synth part as it sounds slightly last-minute.

The bit where you have a reverse-reverb effect sounds cool, but it sort of doesn't really go into anything. Usually they're used as a build up to something hard-hitting, whereas you have it sort of fading in to a snare that is at about the same volume as it and then just dieing out a bit... Actually it might sound better if it just doesn't ring out quite so much after the snare. Or if you just turn the effect down a bit, as it's sort of over-powering the snare.

Hope this helps man!

its giving me a 404 error. and just for future reference if me or anyone else edits anything for you. I need a wav file for every mic or trigger that was on the drum set

works now just must not have processed yet

Yeah man.

Technically, I just miced the hi-hat and the right cymbals.
I don't use anything on the left, and I replace all my drums, so panning to the left and right for the hi-hat and right cymbals works for me.

mmk sweet this works out good as the kick was abit out of wack on the faster sections so i turned it into a trigger track anyway. just finished thisup a few minutes ago so i will upload soon

Thanks man. :)

I really appreciate this!

I'm not sure how to quantize drums. Usually I just hand edit the hell out of them.

a short rundown is bassicly cutting all the tracks except the bass drum at each drum hit and dragging them in time. you do the bass drum seperatly because the bass drum is generally the only drum that doesn't hit with a cymbal so making the cuts there would result in odd sounds in the overhead tracks. someone made a video on here awhile back the explains it really really well.

anway it uploading now i will edit this post and include the link when its done