MIXING TIME, SONG3: Complete Feared song inside

Last attempt before I give up and go to sleep :p http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11035943/Reared_LRA_attempt_3.mp3

What plugins do you guys use for cutoffs, etc? Any particular ones you'd recommend? The ones I'm using seem to be letting sub frequencies through, despite being set to "Infinite".

the built-in EQ plugin in Reaper (ReaEQ i think)

you should use a regular EQ, using a highpass (or lowcut)

EDIT : new mix sounds killer by the way ! you did well this time !

I've done 2 mixes of this one.
The first one i did was back in January (the youtube one).

Just finished the second one.

I'd love some feedback on both of them.
Did i improve? Positive/Negative comments on each of them? Always enjoy hearing what i can do to improve my mixes. The first one i did back in january is poorly mastered. Didn't have any mastering plugins back then, and didn't know much about it.
I also realize that the first one is a bit boomy, but regardless of that, i like the heavy sound when the bass kicks in.

Lords Resistance Army Mix 02.01.2012

Lords Resistance Army Mix 15.05.2012

Last edited by a moderator:
Had some fun mixing this, cool song!

Had some trouble with cymbals of the MIDI....
Drum's steven slate
Guitars were reamped through my dual recto

I'm kinda new in the business so feedback's welcome, Cheers! :wave:

Had some fun mixing this, cool song!

Had some trouble with cymbals of the MIDI....
Drum's steven slate
Guitars were reamped through my dual recto

I'm kinda new in the business so feedback's welcome, Cheers! :wave:

-rythm guitars sound too much like fizz and distortion and nothing else... maybe try lowering the gain ?
-drums sound thin and robotic and dry as fuck, like only the "augmenting" Slate samples were used and not the original sound they're supposed to complement
and this drums sound does not fit this mix at all
-cymbals sound very robotic and annoying, and one cymbal sounds very annoying/aggressive

EDIT : i'm overexaggerating here maybe but at least you get the idea

I've done 2 mixes of this one.
The first one i did was back in January (the youtube one).

Just finished the second one.

I'd love some feedback on both of them.
Did i improve? Positive/Negative comments on each of them? Always enjoy hearing what i can do to improve my mixes. The first one i did back in january is poorly mastered. Didn't have any mastering plugins back then, and didn't know much about it.
I also realize that the first one is a bit boomy, but regardless of that, i like the heavy sound when the bass kicks in.

Lords Resistance Army Mix 02.01.2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wGWKlsavX4

Lords Resistance Army Mix 15.05.2012

new one sounds quite good and way better than the first one, where the low end was quite out of control

-rythm guitars sound too much like fizz and distortion and nothing else... maybe try lowering the gain ?
-drums sound thin and robotic and dry as fuck, like only the "augmenting" Slate samples were used and not the original sound they're supposed to complement
and this drums sound does not fit this mix at all
-cymbals sound very robotic and annoying, and one cymbal sounds very annoying/aggressive

EDIT : i'm overexaggerating here maybe but at least you get the idea

Hey thanks for your input
being a guitarist, i always have hard time lowering that damn gain knob ! lol but yeah, after listening back i have to agree
Drums were strictly SSD, will try to work with both next time

Hey thanks for your input
being a guitarist, i always have hard time lowering that damn gain knob ! lol but yeah, after listening back i have to agree
Drums were strictly SSD, will try to work with both next time

you havr to keep in mind to the gain of several guitar tracks adds up, so if you wanna retain clarity and use multiple guitar tracks, you have to lower the gain

the SSD samples are not meant to be used by themselves formerly, so if you only use them, you have to work a bit to make they sound good for your mix