MIXING TIME, SONG3: Complete Feared song inside

Bump for reuploading...

I have the original .rar file but i can't seem to succeed in uploading it on Dropbox (it's approx. 220 mo and it seems the size limit for one file is 300 mo in Dropbox... weird).
If somebody knows some other place where i can upload it with no hassle (no need to sign up or install a local software that is), i will do it (unless Ola tells me no).

EDIT : my bad... apparently i had an internet connection mishap, and now it seems to be uploading the file properly. You have to be patient though, i'm watching like 10 videos in HD at the same time so it might take a while...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15008135/Feared mixing time song 3/Reared LRA.rar
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15008135/Feared mixing time song 3/LRA-Backingsolo.zip

I have the original .rar file but i can't seem to succeed in uploading it on Dropbox (it's approx. 220 mo and it seems the size limit for one file is 300 mo in Dropbox... weird).
If somebody knows some other place where i can upload it with no hassle (no need to sign up or install a local software that is), i will do it (unless Ola tells me no).

EDIT : my bad... apparently i had an internet connection mishap, and now it seems to be uploading the file properly. You have to be patient though, i'm watching like 10 videos in HD at the same time so it might take a while...

upload complete...

Thank you sir! :kickass:

Late to the party as usual :p

There's something off about the vocals in the chorus, sounds like they're "floating" above the mix. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Guitars were passed through Poulin Le456 and LeCab using a JJ Powertube impulse. Drums are the Metalheads expansion pack for EZDrummer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Late to the party as usual :p

There's something off about the vocals in the chorus, sounds like they're "floating" above the mix. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Guitars were passed through Poulin Le456 and LeCab using a JJ Powertube impulse. Drums are the Metalheads expansion pack for EZDrummer.

Cool mix, cool guitar tone but :

-bass has its sub low end set too low (in terms of frequencies), making the mix sounding a bit boomy and unbalanced (like a regular balanced mix with some sub added)
-> reduce that bass "sub" and it should sound way better

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a shelf EQ to boost the bass slightly below about 200hz. The original track has no rumble at all.

that's your problem (the shelf)

just use one or a couple of narrow/semi-wide boost and cuts (to complement the kick) around the 60hz-250hz region, but no shelf boost since it's gonna raise too much sub

EDIT : could you post a screenshot of your eq settings ?

that's your problem (the shelf)

just use one or a couple of narrow/semi-wide boost and cuts (to complement the kick) around the 60hz-250hz region, but no shelf boost since it's gonna raise too much sub
Awesome, thanks :D

EDIT : could you post a screenshot of your eq settings ?

Bass EQ:
bass%20eq.PNG

Kick EQ:
kick%20eq.PNG

Using different EQs because I already had the kick set up, and couldn't be bothered to set it up again :p

Awesome, thanks :D

Bass EQ:
bass%20eq.PNG

Kick EQ:
kick%20eq.PNG

Using different EQs because I already had the kick set up, and couldn't be bothered to set it up again :p

is this your new eq settings or the settings you had for the clip you just posted ? :)

cuz' it doensn't look like a shelf, and looks more like my recommendation :)

(i was talking about your EQ settings for the clip you just posted)

is this your new eq settings or the settings you had for the clip you just posted ? :)

cuz' it doensn't look like a shelf, and looks more like my recommendation :)

(i was talking about your EQ settings for the clip you just posted)

These are the settings you recommended, plus a few that I got from some Youtube tutorials a while ago. I don't have the old settings any more, but yeah, it was just a shelf that boosted anything below 200hz like crazy. Sounds much better now, thanks for the tips :)

sounds better already !

I still think the bass has too much subs (and that makes the kick sounds a bit thin i guess also).
I've cutoff everything below 40hz on the bass, and boosted it at 100hz and 150hz.

Snare sounds kind of dry also.
Yeah, the Metalheads snares are a bit lifeless at times, not really much I can do about it.

EDIT: Actually I think the sub you're hearing is the kick. The sample is quite boomy, and has a long tail for a kick. I'll try changing the sample.

I've cutoff everything below 40hz on the bass, and boosted it at 100hz and 150hz.

Yeah, the Metalheads snares are a bit lifeless at times, not really much I can do about it.

EDIT: Actually I think the sub you're hearing is the kick. The sample is quite boomy, and has a long tail for a kick. I'll try changing the sample.

-40 hz is very low, you can cut a bit higher (use your ears), considering the type of music at stake here

-snares always need some work in the post processing phase to sound right : delay, reverb, room mic, ... You have to look into that.