NEW SONG: CRUCIFIXATION. COULD USE SOME HELP!

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
Hey guys, its been a while since ive posted on here, mainly been hangin back taking a little break, focusing on my new job. but here is a new song from my project that will be featured on our upcoming EP, which could use any kind of help/comments.

i used programmed drums with Beatcraft using misc. samples from around the forum.
podfarm for boost/Le456 + spres_high
bass is pitch shifted guitar, for now.
i use desktop speakers/home theater monitors for mixing, and no longer have my 2x12 subs hooked up, so i cant tell how the low end is working.
mic is a sennheiser e835 going to an M Audio Fast Track USB, tracking out of my little walk in closet (because when you have nothing else, why not?)

im basically looking for any kind of criticism that can better my mix. anything you can think of, tell me. is a certain drum/cymbal/guitar too loud/soft, etc?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8017980/Crucifixation2.mp3

!!!

its a decent song, but you need more articulate drum samples. it just sounds like they hit with the same velocity every time. especially the cymbals. everything in the mix is too dark as well.. but again, good work on the writing portion of the song.

thanks. i tend to get pretty lazy when it comes to drum velocities. seeing as how i use beatcraft (because SD2 always crashes for me), i'd have to do every hit individually. i usually figured cymbals were the last ones you would edit. i wish it had a feature of using multi samples for each drum, because we all know that no matter how crazy you edit velocity, it doesnt get exactly what you want because they are all the same pitch.

Sounds good, not my thing at all, but fits the style I suppose.
The one issue that I could hear is the vocals, there is something in the upper mids that is quite harsh and does not gel with the rest of the mix at all.

Also, don't want to piss on your bonfire or anything, but.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good, not my thing at all, but fits the style I suppose.
The one issue that I could hear is the vocals, there is something in the upper mids that is quite harsh and does not gel with the rest of the mix at all.

yea i need to find what those frequencies are and shape them up. but its a little hard to tell exactly where it's at.