New Star One album

I guess I shall give it a listen, but in general, I find Arjen's stuff very boring.
It's hard to explain, but I consider him one of those musicians that is incapable of interesting me. No matter how hard he tries, it will always be at that same notch in my mind. It's kind of similar to what I think of DT. We have seen the peak of what they can do, we've seen every trick, and there's just no way they will ever surprise me again.
Bands like Porcupine Tree or SX will always keep me interested because I know that they are capable of doing something completely different, and pushing themselves farher.

Holy shit.

Well, I don't think it has the same "magic" as a Symphony X album but I don't think it's trash. The vocal performances on the album alone make it a good listen. Sure there isn't a bunch of complex shredding and time changes making it a more straight forward metal album, but it works here. Each track I've heard has it's own distinct riff and stands out on its own. I definitely don't get the "one long song" vibe.

Vocals alone...decent listen. Damn, you made me sad :(

Complex shredding and time changes? You don't know me well enough. :zzz:

This lacks dynamics, and it lacks SPACE. You know, the breakdown, the change up, the 2 seconds of empty space while a drum fill or bass solo lays down the transition to the next part (assuming there IS a next part). It suffers from awful arrangement and a complete lack of dynamics. It's white noise man. There's no denying the musicians and vocalists have epic talent. But the guy who wrote the songs... failed.

I didn't find the songs themselves very lacking but the album as a whole could have used a "dragon of the sea" or something similar to spice things up.

I didn't find the songs themselves very lacking but the album as a whole could have used a "dragon of the sea" or something similar to spice things up.

I kinda agree, Lastday (a bonus track) is about as close to that, for me at least.

I kinda agree, Lastday (a bonus track) is about as close to that, for me at least.

I'really fond of the new Star one ,Russell's voice is better than ever,thanks
to him ,Arjen and all the guys that made "victims ..." the best record of the year.Russell,i'm looking forward to seeing you with Symphony x next march,you're number one

It suffers from awful arrangement and a complete lack of dynamics. It's white noise man. There's no denying the musicians and vocalists have epic talent. But the guy who wrote the songs... failed.

You win. I agree. Still fun to listen to while waiting for the SX album IMO! :p

I think that all SX fans must buy it,because Allen is in very good shape and
sings in all the tracks.

Indeed. Maybe a boring listen with not much emotion or talent as far as the instrumentals are concerned...but Russell alone makes the album worth listening to. Almost every track has him as the prominent vocal talent. He is incredible on this one; a standout track being "It All Ends Here". The notes he hits in that one are just grand alone with the power he puts behind his voice. GAH!

maybe I'mwriting as Ayreon's fan,but this record really grows with the listening,and you can find everything :great keyboards,tons of guitars,
female parts of vocals and the incredible Russel's voice ranging from
dark emotional to the highest peaks

Nah, Arjen can be good, he has proven that. Extremely inconsistent though - but so is Michael Romeo and a lot of others as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I hope Russel sings like this in the new album, and not like in Paradise Lost. I can't stand Paradise Lost (sorry Its just true for me) due to his voice. The way Russel sings, and I mean in ALL sym X albums but one, and in all his guest appearances is what makes him special, his voice is beautiful. I'd rate the new Star One far above Paradise Lost any time. Let's hope SymX doesnt dissapoint us like Kamelot has with Poetry.:eek: