New Suspyre Album Announcement!

GreggSuspyre

May 31, 2005
New Jersey
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone,

As a band that played ProgPower's Showcase in 2009, I thought some of you would be interested in this. We're excited to announce that our new album is almost completed and we are trying to spread the word through fans. We would love to get playing live again ASAP (and hopefully can return to ProgPower!)

Suspyre launched a KickStarter to help get our new album released. We wanted to try to do this one without a label to see how it goes. Since the industry has changed so much over the past few years, mostly due to the shift to digital music, we are trying to find what the new trends are in marketing and distributing original music.

We planned to make this a digital only release, as we can afford to do that. However, we also would love to make a DVD of candid studio outtakes, interviews, some live footage, etc. The thing is, we frankly aren't going to invest in duplicating this if no one is going to buy it. Hence why we launched a KickStarter.

This isn't a fundraiser, it's just a way for the band to get an idea of what the market looks like. If you will be buying our new record on iTunes anyway, why not just pledge $10 now and get it directly from us? If you want the CD/DVD combo, pledge the $25. This way the band actually can afford to print copies and not have to hold our breath and just hope people buy them. We will know there are guaranteed sales out there.

I've seen many projects be really successful in this and make twice as much as we're asking. We came up with the price when we added the cost of artwork, mastering, duplication, shirts, etc and then lowered it. We didn't factor in our time (we all have full-time jobs and/or school) and studio costs (I have my own place, which caused me to cancel paying clients to work on the music I love).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!! :headbang:

P.S.: some footage / new music is on our YouTube channel.

If "The Divided Son" is anything like the rest of the CD, count me in.:worship:notworthy I would love to see the artwork on the CD though.

I pledged $25. Can't wait for this, it sounds great. I would have pledged the $6K, but my wife would have divorced me.

If "The Divided Son" is anything like the rest of the CD, count me in.:worship:notworthy I would love to see the artwork on the CD though.

There is a sample of the art (sans logo and name, since we haven't decided on a title yet!) on the KickStarter.

When writing the music for this album, I wanted to make sure each song had a quick one-word description of its style. There is some overlap, but the characterizations of each track that I used were: heavy, thrash, groove, Dad-rock, power, chill, noise, rock, dark, and epic. "The Divided Son" is the "groove" track, but of course has elements of some of the other styles as well.

Really looking forward to this one! You guys let me know when you're ready to get on the road again. ;)

We'll be ready to play as soon as we don't have to think about the album being completed anymore. Clay finished his vocals today, April has a few more to get down, then I have to finish my edits / mix the recently tracked songs. Let us know if there are any shows coming up early next year!

First off, let me say i am a Suspyre fan. I own physical copies of the first three albums and still listen to them on a fairly regular basis (especially the latest two). With that said, as confident as i am that the new album will be great as well.......i am still having a hard time pledging $25 dollars for a physical copy of the CD before having heard a minute of the music. If i pledge $10 now and then after hearing it i feel i want the physical copy will it be too late to get one? Unless i pledge now, there will be no way for me to get the new album to physically hold in my hand?

Also, why no Vinyl release? I'd "blind pledge" that baby in the click of a button.

First off, let me say i am a Suspyre fan. I own physical copies of the first three albums and still listen to them on a fairly regular basis (especially the latest two). With that said, as confident as i am that the new album will be great as well.......i am still having a hard time pledging $25 dollars for a physical copy of the CD before having heard a minute of the music. If i pledge $10 now and then after hearing it i feel i want the physical copy will it be too late to get one? Unless i pledge now, there will be no way for me to get the new album to physically hold in my hand?

Also, why no Vinyl release? I'd "blind pledge" that baby in the click of a button.

Thanks for listening!

Our YouTube channel has quite a lot of music from the new album. The reason we don't want to release any more is because it's not completely done; we don't want unfinished versions of the songs floating around. We wanted to launch this KickStarter before we were done so we weren't wasting time sitting on an album ready to be released. Maybe when we get down to the last couple days I can convince the rest of the band to let me leak another track.

Yes, those are great logistical questions. We truly wanted to do this KickStarter to see what the demand is and if it's worth it to even print physical copies. Things are expensive, and our digital to physical sales ratio has tipped so far in the digital direction that physical doesn't even pay for itself. I am one that prefers to buy physical copies (the quality is better, and iPods are annoying to use), but sometimes the clutter and environmental impact of having CDs around just isn't worth it anymore. There are hundreds of unsold CDs in my studio, but iTunes reports are steadily coming in for all of the albums I've released from Suspyre to Forever's Edge to Even Man Out.

Are you serious about vinyl? The last album I bought on vinyl was Michael Jackson's "Bad" when it was new! I frankly have no idea how to even use a turntable anymore, haha.

I am one that prefers to buy physical copies

You are a dying breed. You must consider your retail market, and that market is moving towards digital sales and instant convenience. CDs will be the new Vinyl in 2 years. No one will buy them except collectors. I didn't buy one CD this year at PP, and I am kind of shocked no digital download cards (QR codes for instant iPhone/Android downloads, guys, as well as unique URL links that could be "activated" when the card is scanned) were available.

Those I'd buy.

Thanks for listening!

Our YouTube channel has quite a lot of music from the new album. The reason we don't want to release any more is because it's not completely done; we don't want unfinished versions of the songs floating around. We wanted to launch this KickStarter before we were done so we weren't wasting time sitting on an album ready to be released. Maybe when we get down to the last couple days I can convince the rest of the band to let me leak another track.

Yes, those are great logistical questions. We truly wanted to do this KickStarter to see what the demand is and if it's worth it to even print physical copies. Things are expensive, and our digital to physical sales ratio has tipped so far in the digital direction that physical doesn't even pay for itself. I am one that prefers to buy physical copies (the quality is better, and iPods are annoying to use), but sometimes the clutter and environmental impact of having CDs around just isn't worth it anymore. There are hundreds of unsold CDs in my studio, but iTunes reports are steadily coming in for all of the albums I've released from Suspyre to Forever's Edge to Even Man Out.

Are you serious about vinyl? The last album I bought on vinyl was Michael Jackson's "Bad" when it was new! I frankly have no idea how to even use a turntable anymore, haha.

You're quite welcome.Thank you for creating it. :headbang:

Secondly, i completely understand about keeping the not fully polished product from being thrown around on the web. I'll be sure to check out the Suspyre youtube page for some more sampling. I guess i was wondering if there would be a couple finished songs to sample before the final deadline for getting a physical copy.

And yes, i am very serious about the Vinyl. While I have just started collecting them about a year ago instead of CD's when available, they make for better display items and seem to hold their value better than CD's. Many bands have been offering a Vinyl option since i have been on the lookout for them. Seems to me they are making a small comeback as CD's fall off the map. A great alternative for the collectors.

A few bands that have released Vinyl options in the past year that i have taken advantage of include: Dream Theater, Animals As Leaders, Rhapsody Of Fire, SkeletonWitch, Pagan's Mind, Opeth and Symphony X. Really cool to have my favorite albums hanging on the wall. Loving that i am seeing more of them being released.

You're quite welcome.Thank you for creating it. :headbang:

Secondly, i completely understand about keeping the not fully polished product from being thrown around on the web. I'll be sure to check out the Suspyre youtube page for some more sampling. I guess i was wondering if there would be a couple finished songs to sample before the final deadline for getting a physical copy.

And yes, i am very serious about the Vinyl. While I have just started collecting them about a year ago instead of CD's when available, they make for better display items and seem to hold their value better than CD's. Many bands have been offering a Vinyl option since i have been on the lookout for them. Seems to me they are making a small comeback as CD's fall off the map. A great alternative for the collectors.

A few bands that have released Vinyl options in the past year that i have taken advantage of include: Dream Theater, Animals As Leaders, Rhapsody Of Fire, SkeletonWitch, Pagan's Mind, Opeth and Symphony X. Really cool to have my favorite albums hanging on the wall. Loving that i am seeing more of them being released.

I can totally understand the view from the collector. As I kid I would go through my dad's collection of albums by Boston, Styx, Kansas, ELP, Yes, etc, and loved how the covers looked and thought they were video games.

I'm going to consider this for some future releases. I recorded a blues band recently that had me burn their music on "digital vinyl" CDs; they looked like little 45s. Not the same, but I think I'm going to look up the capabilities on how to get my music on vinyl.

Committed. Disappointed to see your not even half way to your goal. What other outlets have you advertised this on? Need to do a blitz this week in every available social media, website etc. It will be very sad if this doesn't happen.

Committed. Disappointed to see your not even half way to your goal. What other outlets have you advertised this on? Need to do a blitz this week in every available social media, website etc. It will be very sad if this doesn't happen.

Thanks so much!

I put posts up on some various boards on these forums and our facebook, twitter, and myspace (which is pretty much dead). Any recommendations would be great. I plan to spend some time each day this week marketing this!

I'm not totally surprised that we haven't reached our goal yet, as people may be reluctant to do things like this, but that said, we sold way more than 600 digital copies of each of our other albums. This would be the same price (actually a little cheaper, as iTunes has an additional tax).

We're down to only 50 hours left to pledge. We're considering running another campaign just for physical copies: no shirts, no DVD, no extra stuff.

It's really sad since we've put hours upon hours of hard work into this; I really hope it wasn't just so only 61 people can hear it! haha

Sorry for being late to the party on this. Just posted a small amount and passed on the info to some other folks that I know are fans of Suspyre. Hopefully they get the info in time.

I know that when it comes down to it in reality, it's really every band for themselves. It sucks, but it's true.

But a concept like this can be very cool if enough support is given. Maybe some support from other bands can help out after all.

Best of luck!

Ian