New Thales Tracks Available

Orchid

Nonchalant Onlooker
May 5, 2001
www.thalesband.com
It is my pleasure to inform you that "demo versions" of two tracks off of our upcoming album are available on our mp3.com site, titled "Song 1" and "Song 11" (hehe, so original.. they're work-horse titles - we title our songs by a running number until the lyrics are written :D - like "yeah, let's play 12!" :p)

Well, who am I to babble here... go check 'em out. :)

oh my fucking god! ,, this is amazing ,, I am overwhelmed with this new material ,, you guys are gods ,, If a label do not sign you guys then I do not know what there fuckin problem is man ,, this shit is the shit that everyone should listen to ,,,, it's simply amazing ,, how do you do it???

OH MY GOD!

I still think this is a bit to satanic Lasse :loco:

No seriously this is some lovely stuff guys, I recently got your demo and have been listening to that quite a lot!

Originally posted by HoserHellspawn

Self-conscious of our overt "fanness", are we? C'mon, we all know that you're Hearse's groupie...

P.S. Thales kick a nudist colony's proportion of ass.

Why I never!! Ask the music how I feel. But don't ask me why I must repress it. :lol:

The "accoustic" section in Song 1 though is killer. Sweet sweetness!

Vocals? I thought you guys were just instrumental. Alright, they are downloaded...just a sec...

Sounds pretty cool. I already got your other CD on my "to buy" list. Why the decision to add vocals? Just curious. I've been wanting an instrumental Opeth type band for a while. Then again, I really like instrumental stuff, so I probably don't share the opinion of the majority.

Whoah, thanks for all the (way too) positive feedback.

jimbobhickville: the thing is, if we were to go instrumental now we'd have to re-arrange the songs because at the moment they are written with vocals in mind, and that would be something really tedious (and I don't think we could pull it through the way we'd want to).

Oh yeah, any Finns wanting to try out for the vocalist vacancy: feel free to contact us.

Initial Impressions: I like World Beyond better than the 2 new songs..
but ive only had 1 listen to each song so im predicting a few more listens and i wont be able to stop.

you guys are pretty damn talented, cant wait to hear how it all fits together in the final recorded sound. Are you going to have an all acoustic song on your album? That i would love to hear, because i personalyl like your clean riffs better than some of your heavy riffs.

hm, I just finished writing the main parts to a song in this Opethy kind of style earlier today... so this was a nice bit of inspiration for the remaining minutes i had to write.. id been stuck on it for a week or so, so thanks!!! :)

keep up the great work!! :)

Originally posted by jimbobhickville
Vocals? I thought you guys were just instrumental. Alright, they are downloaded...just a sec...

Sounds pretty cool. I already got your other CD on my "to buy" list. Why the decision to add vocals? Just curious. I've been wanting an instrumental Opeth type band for a while. Then again, I really like instrumental stuff, so I probably don't share the opinion of the majority.

It'd be a completely different band.

It sounds so complete, as it is.

To Thales..!

Originally posted by Orchid
- like "yeah, let's play 12!" :p)

We use the same thing even with the songs that really have names...:D

I got to download the songs and now I'm just waiting for a chance to sneak to a computer with a soundcard...

The opening riff to Song 1 is exquisite. Its unfortunate it only appears at the beginning of the song, because as soon as the riff ends....."damn, 9 minutes till i hear that again!!"

These songs grew on me as expected. So had to comment again, coz its great stuff.

More excellent music from Thales! I checked out the new songs and they're awesome, certainly up to par with previous material. No dissapointments here (though Pellucid Lake still remains my fave).

I especially like the clean sections. This is where I see your work has matured the most. Just wondering- do you eventually plan on using acoustic guitars for some of these parts? It would be really great to hear some of these sections played on an acoustic or even have some acoustic mixed with clean electric parts. As usual, the riffs and the harmony lay the groundwork for some emotional music. Like the addition of the real bass, though it's difficult to hear and I can't really comment much on the actual bass content. I certainly hope when you get in a studio you don't overlook the potential of the bass to make the music all the more exciting and enjoyable.

I miss the keyboards. As was seen on "Pellucid Lake", keyboards added even more to your music and you pulled it off well, being subtle, yet their usage still remained integral to the music. The keyboards also gave you a bit more of your own identity, making you sound less Opeth clone-ish (absolutely no offense here guys).
Can't really comment on the drum lines much. They seemed rather low in the mix, and it seemed a bit difficult to distinguish all the parts. I would guess things will change a bit once you record with a real drum set in a studio anyway.

The creativity and quality of the vocals, once they are added, will be a major factor in the quality of these songs. These songs are quite good as is but there are sections that seem a bit long and become somewhat tired on the ears. I would assume these are the parts where vocals will be added and in that case the length of those sections would probably be perfectly normal. Still, the quality of the vocalist's actual voice, the lyrics, and how the vocal lines are presented within the song could make these songs into true masterpieces or they could degrade their quality somewhat.

The decision to offer these songs to us on mp3.com as demos of their future work was, in my opinion, a good one. They will help keep the interest up in Thales, spark new interest, and provide more examples of what Thales can do. Overall, these "demo" songs are great offerings from Thales, a glimpse into hopefully great things to come!

Originally posted by Hearse
Yeah we decided not to use keyboard in future

Really? That's a shame, I really liked them in the tracks that had them, they added an atmosphere that was quite catching, and somewhat unique. They were integral although subtle, I must agree with Soul Forlorn.

HOWEVER! You guys are the experts, not me, and I sense that my reservations will be withdrawn upon further releases. You know what you're doing.