New To Katatonia

Ozzloaf

Art Geek
Jun 14, 2008
Hey everyone,
I'm new to Katatonia and I need some help deciding what Katatonia album to get first.
To give you an idea of the stuff I like, I listen to mainly tech/extreme and experimental/post-metal. My favorite band is Opeth and a close second is Tool. I'm also a big fan of Daylight Dies who I know have toured with Katatonia.
Thanks,
Jake

I say start with The Great Cold Distance and work your way backwards. Some of the early Katatonia albums can be hard for a newbie to digest at first.

Ok so I went to the store today and I got The Great Cold Distance, Brave Murder Day, and Last Fair Deal Gone Down (and the new Daylight Dies album and the new Still Life digi-pac ;) ) I'll give them a listen and I'll let you know what I think.

Ok so I went to the store today and I got The Great Cold Distance, Brave Murder Day, and Last Fair Deal Gone Down (and the new Daylight Dies album and the new Still Life digi-pac ;) ) I'll give them a listen and I'll let you know what I think.

way to go :kickass:
brave is my favorite "harsh" katatonia album (they dont have that much, but still lulz) and my overall favorite too.. the atmosphere is among the most powerful album atmosphere i ever heard, the music sounds somehow small and creepy, and the lyrics are damn weird (in a good way imo), i basically dont really know what the fuck he's talking about, except that its bad as fuck and i like it.
the great cold distance is my favorite "new era" katatonia album, many songs there are built on a similar pattern but who the fuck cares, as long as they're all good:heh:

Very good choices (including Daylight Dies haha) Those three albums should definitely give You a decent overview

Actually Lost to the Living came in the mail... but yeah it's AWESOME. By far their best album.

The Great Cold Distance. Definitely. It's in my top ten albums of all time (I actually do have that list).

The first album I got was Tonight's Decision, followed by TGCD. That quickly turned into all of them.

And I'm kinda new here, posted back during the fall US tour a few times, but am now back.