New to Metal

TobiGreven

New Metal Member
Jan 5, 2014
As somebody who only likes 1 out of 1000 bands, I'm excited to have found this forum and hope to discover a lot of new music this way.

So here it goes:
I have only been listening to metal for 5 months, and my range of taste has already increased from the new album of the Metalcore band 'Bring me the Horizon'(no clear vocals, few heavy growls and screams, pianist included) to a (Technical) Deathmetal band called 'Thy Art is Murder((newest album only)demonic growls, hard screams, breakdowns, a lot instrumental parts). By now, the genres that I can enjoy are post-hardcore,Metalcore bands without whiny vocals, and DeathMetal(mostly technical). What I absolutely don't like are screams(also instruments) that are too unclear to understand. A few bands I like(actually, this ks my whole list :/) are 'Bring me the Horizon', 'Heartist', 'The last of our Kind', 'Outline in Color', 'Hacktivist', 'Woe, is me', 'Thy Art is Murder', 'blessthefall', 'Crown the Empire' and 'Adept'.

So, I hope this was clear enough to help me.

Thanks for reading :).

Last edited by a moderator:
As somebody who only likes 1 out of 1000 bands, I'm excited to have found this forum and hope to discover a lot of new music this way.

So here it goes:
I have only been listening to metal for 5 months, and my range of taste has already increased from the new album of the Metalcore band 'Bring me the Horizon'(no clear vocals, few heavy growls and screams, pianist included) to a (Technical) Deathmetal band called 'Thy Art is Murder((newest album only)demonic growls, hard screams, breakdowns, a lot instrumental parts). By now, the genres that I can enjoy are post-hardcore,Metalcore bands without whiny vocals, and DeathMetal(mostly technical). What I absolutely don't like are screams(also instruments) that are too unclear to understand. A few bands I like(actually, this ks my whole list :/) are 'Bring me the Horizon', 'Heartist', 'We came as Romans', 'The last of our Kind', 'Outline in Color', 'Hacktivist', 'Woe, is me', and 'Thy Art is Murder'.

So, I hope this was clear enough to help me.

Thanks for reading :).

Im not new to metal, been a fan for many years but, likin bring me the horizons newer stuff myself regardless of what others say! Im the same with bein able to hear the lyrics, although i do enjoy very heavy shouty metal at times. Thy art is murder are pretty cool, goin to see them next saturday with one of my fave bands -Heart of a coward who are a support act. Feed the Rhino are good, melodic and heavy but not screamy, Red Fang are similar too. Hope that helps u :D

i

What non-metal do you enjoy? I can direct you towards a more appropriate sub-genre. What you're listening to is mainstream teenager metal, and I'd love to see someone know better.

I don't see how metalcore vocals are any more intelligible than vocals in black/death metal, or most music for that matter. BUY the albums. READ the lyrics in the inserts. That'll solve your problem.

What non-metal do you enjoy? I can direct you towards a more appropriate sub-genre. What you're listening to is mainstream teenager metal, and I'd love to see someone know better.

Well, I don't really listen any other than metalcore and post=hardocre at the moment. But if you could name some more mature (metal) bands with complex instrumentals, I would be very glad. Maybe the band Animals as leaders could help you find something for me.

I don't see how metalcore vocals are any more intelligible than vocals in black/death metal, or most music for that matter. BUY the albums. READ the lyrics in the inserts. That'll solve your problem.

I think I said it wrong, I meant to say that I do not like screams that are monotonous, constant or are litteraly screams that say nothing. A good example of those screams is deathcore.

Im not new to metal, been a fan for many years but, likin bring me the horizons newer stuff myself regardless of what others say! Im the same with bein able to hear the lyrics, although i do enjoy very heavy shouty metal at times. Thy art is murder are pretty cool, goin to see them next saturday with one of my fave bands -Heart of a coward who are a support act. Feed the Rhino are good, melodic and heavy but not screamy, Red Fang are similar too. Hope that helps u :D

i

Thanks! Glad to see someone with similar taste in music! I will surely listen to these bands :)

I would listen to your recommendations, if you didn't add your useless opinion about Metalcore, which has been stated by others too much already.

I'm not sure why the mentally handicapped think they can "fix" what you like. This isn't the best board to ask for these kind of recommendations. Go to rate your music and have it generate you a list of the highest rated metalcore albums of all time. You will surely find something you like skimming through those.

You could try Sentients, The eyes of a traitor, My heart to fear (Algorithm album only) & Actions to onslaught, they don't frequently use breakdowns, & are actually kinda suhhweeet & know how to make melodic noodling.

Don't listen to UA, he usually recommends really queer symphonic metal.

Check out the bands Midnight and Gehennah and if you don't like them, get fucked. I know they don't fit your criteria but I don't care. They are mandatory listening.