New to Recording, Help Appreciated!

Jeebo

Dec 29, 2005
So I wanna start recording my own stuff. I play a C-7 Hellraiser through a Laney VH100R head w/Orange 4x12 Straight Cab. I imagine that to record I'll mic the amp up to a preamp, but I'm trying to decide what preamp is best for the $ I have a budget of roughly $500 and I'd like to get a preamp with firewire output. I've been looking at the presonus stuff but I've heard mixed reviews. I've also been looking at the T.C. Electronic Konnekt preamps lately too. Any suggestions of good preamps for decent home recording within that budget would be greatly appreciated. Also, what are some pointers when looking for mics? I know there are all different types and if someone could break it all down for me it would help a ton. Thanks for the help guys!

I'd go for an MBox, Firebox, or Mackie Spike if you *must* go Firewire (although just getting a Delta 1010LT is a much better deal in the long run, and... come on, putting a sound card isn't that bad), an i5, and a 57. Musician's Friend has a few blem Spikes for a bit lower than retail, and Sweetwater has a demo Firebox for $30 below, but even if you pay full price you'll be under $500 with that.

Jeff

Thanks for the help guys. JBroll, In the long run, yeah I'd have an ideal setup with a soundcard and analog preamps, etc. but I'm stuck in a small college environment armed with a macbook so I figured firewire would be one of the best ways to record ideas I had. So has anyone messed with the TC Electronic Konnekt series yet? I've heard too many bad things about firepods and not enough about these!