New to the forum! Check out my latest mix!

Thisworldisours

New Metal Member
Dec 18, 2011
Hey guys, Im new to this forum but have visited it many times. I post over on sevenstring.org a lot but I figured it was time to post on here finally. I have been working on my mixing lately and this is the latest thing I have worked on. My friend and I worked on the writing and I'm not too sure what I'm going to use it for yet. I use an axe fx ultra for guitars and superior drummer but I am thinking of switching to slate. Check it out and let me know what you think!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19048483/more mids.mp3

Welcome to the forum! That bass tone is killer dude, real beefy. Couple of things: that snare sounds weird most of the time. Try hi passing it more to Make it cut through better. and it seems like some of your cymbals are much quieter than others too.

Diggin the breakdown at 1:00 though!

Most people here would def say switch to slate for better shells, and use joeys cymbals. That seems to be one of the best/common combos so far. But everyone has their preferences.

Awesome! Thanks a lot man, yeah I have been getting some comments on my snare and I definitely want to address that. Superior is cool in the sense that you have total control but it's also a blessing and a curse. Every small change that is made vastly effects what the thing sounds like haha. Would you recommend Ex or platinum? The joey cymbals are probably killer too, Ill check those out again.

Well you save money by buying platinum once rather than starting with ex and eventually buying all the expansions. But it's really about what you'll be doing with them. Just metal and hardcore stuff? Ex and one or two expansions ("rock/pop vol. 3" and "metal and more") will be just fine. Doing that plus more? Then you might as well get platinum or read more about which addons come with which samples.

Cool, thanks man! I will definitely look into it soon. Metal and hardcore is mostly what I do so maybe the EX is all I NEED but its always nice to know you never need to buy more stuff haha.

It isnt the chango snare, however I really dig the sound of his snare! I have been struggling to get the snare dry but still have a lot of power. It seems as if there is a long tail on it and there is no reverb. Probably also has to do with the way I am compressing it.

SNARE
Not sure how you EQ'd your snare but it sounds like it has a lot of low end with no real smack.
--
BASS
Your bass track is also taking up too much space in the mid range.
--
It seems like your only focusing on the mid range and leaving the high end and low end out.

Aright man thanks for the tips! I actually added a little more mids in the most recent mix so maybe I should just stick to what I had in my previous mix. I definitely need to address that snare though. After my finals are over Im going to work on those things haha, calculus is not fun....

The guitars sound a bit strange, like they're not panned 100% L/R. It almost sounds like the guitars are mono. They also sound really 'airy', like they could have some low-mids cut out and some mids boosted. The drums tend to get really buried, I think the culprit partly is the OHs being too loud and sibilant. They also sound a bit robotic, some humanization could go a long way. The track and writing is cool, and the bass tone is sweet, although the bass sounds a little loud.

Glad you dug the writing man! Hmm, yeah I will have to go back and address some of these points, I appreciate the feedback because I just want to make it as good as possible so thanks a lot!