New tubes for my 6505

Ermz

¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 5, 2002
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Hey all,

Was hoping to get some advice from the local amp gurus.

I've had my 6505 since about 2009, and it's had JJs in all positions for all the time I've owned it. It sounds alright, and I can decent tones from it, but it sounds a bit stifled and muffly, especially in contrast to 5150 IIs and 5150 IIIs. I'd like to open it up a bit with tube choice, and was wondering if you guys had suggestions for tubes more edgy and aggressive than the JJs?

We've had 6505s in the studio with Winged Cs and Rubys, and I preferred the sound of both of those. I think the Rubys were actually my favourite, as they sounded the most aggressive.

I heard that the winged C is discontinued? Bummer.
Unfortunately the only ones i tried were winged c's and JJ's

Check out Doug's tubes 5150 package. He has three different sets for this amp. I'm currently running his rock preamp section with a set of TADs in he power section. Even if you don't buy from him you can see what he's used for different sets. I'm pretty happy with it for an otherwise stock amp.

I've never tried the winged cs but everyone says They rule.

I would be curious as to what Lasse says, i recently took his Mesa Dual tube recommendations from an older thread to task and Im loving it.

I would be curious as to what Lasse says, i recently took his Mesa Dual tube recommendations from an older thread to task and Im loving it.

He's running the TAD STR black plates...that's what he recommended to me when I got mine. He also said the difference between those and the Winged C's is minimal especially considering the price difference!

Got a set myself and I much prefer from to the stock Sovteks that's for sure...

ruby in the power section for sure and chinese for the pre's. The preamp section was designed around chinese pre amp tubes, so it will sound best with them.

winged c's are the best tube for 5150/6505 type amps in my humble opinion. i've tried a lot of stuff, and winged c's were the first tubes that i plugged in, biased, and went "whoa...". they have this aggressiveness that other tubes don't.

Agreed.

My favourite pre tube setup is Tung Sol in V1, Penta Labs or Shuguang in the rest.

Winged C's in the power section, but unfortunately discontinued and now extortionately priced where stock remains available :/

Ruby's did the trick for me before I got into Winged C's also. Will try the TAD STR stuff next.

After all of the tubes, I have ever tried, the ruby STRs are excellent and for the price unbeatable in my opinion. Best el34 and 6l6 for what I want.

^ This. All chinese tubes are the same. they could be labeled, penta, Sino, Ruby, Groove tubes 12ax7c, etc. They are the same tube. Mine say "china 12ax7b" and they sound glorious.

Same advice goes for Mesa rectos. Chinese all the way in the preamp and power section. Mesa branded 6l6's are chinese already, same tube as the ruby 6l6 gcmstr. Mesa branded pres are JJ. A BIG no-no. They will kill your tone. Get those suckas out of there and put chinese.

FWIW, I tried winged c 6l6 in both my recto and 5150 and preferred the ruby (chinese) in both. Winged c are for more vintage amps. To my ear , they have an excess of non-harmonic mids. This might sounds good on the page, but is not pleasing to the ear. Save your dough.

Nope, not all Chinese preamp tubes are the same. The Gold Lion or the TAD 7025 are definitely not the same… but yeah, the Shuguang 12AX7B's are relabeled by several other brands (like Ruby or Penta), who supposedly pick the best and sell them under different names… but yeah, those Chinese tubes are pretty sweet in modern high-gain amps.

The Mesa SPAX7 I believe is a Shuguang as well, but they also rebrand Electro Harmonix 12AX7's and call it "Russian 2" or some shit. I hate those, personally.

Tung-Sol 12AX7's are another option if you want a bit more brightness and open-ness compared to JJ's.

Excellent. I've got a massive order lined up. I'm going to try just about everything. I don't suppose anyone has a discount code for Doug's Tubes? :lol:

Grab a couple Ei elite if you can then. They are Very aggressive, sharp sounding.

When we did a shoot-out between our 3 6505s, the ones with Rubys and Winged Cs respectively sounded markedly better than my JJ-loaded one. So my hope is that the tonal difference is in the tubes and not in otherwise bad luck with component variance and whatever else.

Thanks for the clips, GH.

Another vote for Chinese preamp tubes (Ruby/Penta/whatever 12AX7A's). For power section Ruby 6L6GC MSTR. (Got mine from Doug's tubes.) The Ruby 6L6's will be a tad more aggressive than the Winged =C=.