New Ulver album

I've heard the album now and must say I very much enjoy it. I do not yet know where it ranks with me (Shadows is my favorite album of Ulver's now but I wasn't crazy about it at first so I prefer to take my time in judging their stuff)

@agah: I love marriage, perdition city and shadows, and I like the other ones too. I gave it more spins and it hasn't grew so much on me.

Nice review, but quite a harsh score :( !
I think the new album is great, well worth the long wait since 2007's SotS!

Was just wondering what you meant with some songs having an "IDM underlay"? IDM, the way I know and love it, sounds nothing like anything I can even remotely hear on Ulver's album. To clarify, these are what, the way I understand it, some good examples of classic IDM: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqKZAxvNEfc]Autechre - Montreal[/ame] and [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7bKe_Zgk4o]Boards of Canada - Music is Math[/ame]
On Perdition City and Metamorphosis however, there are parts that could be identified as IDM-sounding.

Now if only they’d make a black metal record to really piss off the fans who like War of the Roses.
:D
Unlikely, they're just gonna have to keep pissing off whiney black metal fans who won't pull their head of their ass and accept Ulver for what they are :p

edit: srry, f*cking youtube links showing up as full video windows :(

After a couple weeks I'm not sure how I feel. The last 2 albums I fell in love with instantly and then they grew into monstrous favorites the more I listened to them.

This album I liked but didn't love after the first few listens and now after listening to it more I find myself liking it less. I'm still hoping something sparks that turns me into loving it. Ulver has always been one of my all time favorite bands so I can't give up on this album yet, but it definitely hasn't thrilled me yet... I hope this isn't because Daniel O'Sullivan is in the band now.

After a couple of weeks of playing nothing else on my turntable but the Wars of the Roses LP, I bought the CD version as well!