New Warmen album?

Double posting time again!!

TUSKA 2010 COVERAGE: WARMEN INTERVIEW

Warmen is the brainchild of Children of Bodom keyboardist Janne Viljami Wirman, aka "Warman," joined by his brother Antti Wirman on guitar, Mirka Rananen on drums(Revolution Renaissance, Thunderstone, ) and Jyri Helko on bass. The band has had many guests appear on albums and live from Children of Bodom front man Alexi Laiho to Finnish pop star Jonna Geagea and a host of others.

Warmen was selected to perform at this years Tuska Open Air Metal Festival in Helsinki, Finland. I had the distinct honor of sitting with the Wirman brothers to discuss the Warmen project, the Finnish metal scene and Tuska itself. We all had a good laugh when the camera wouldn't turn on (dead battery - very professional) and I decided to try my shorthand writing skills. Not only were the guys fine with doing a written interview, we all had a good laugh a few times about how quickly I had to write which I feel is a testament to how down-to-earth these guys are.

If you are like me, you've never heard of Warmen. I suspected that they would know that I wouldn't and so there was no shame in asking the basics to start, "Tell me about Warmen." Janne responded immediately, telling me about how the whole project started about 10 years ago. He wanted to be the songwriter for a group and wanted to be on his own for a change. Over the past 10 years, Warmen released "four totally random albums" as he put it, but then went on to describe how the band is finally starting to hone in on their sound with this latest release, "Japanese Hospitality."

"So tell me about "Japanese Hospitality," I responded. Janne quickly jumped on the question, "It's our fourth and best album. We're sounding more like a band." They went on to talk about the guests Pasi Rantanen and Jonna Geagea and what went into making the record.

I followed up with asking, "You brought a lot of guest musicians in on your albums and I've notice that the Finnish metal scene is a lot like that where musicians will be in many bands. How has this influenced Warmen, and how has it modified the sound?" They responded telling me about how the guest musicians were very influential. Janne told me about how many of the songs were actually written purposefully for the guest who would perform on them and so they were actually shaped for that purpose. They went on to say how most of these musicians were actually very influential people for them and so the overall sound has been impacted very positively by their presence.

I had to ask, "Do you have a favorite song on the album?" And without hesitation, "Fallen Angel" was the unanimous vote from both brothers. Janne elaborated about how Pasi Nykänen was very hands on in the songwriting and overall sound of the song. Both brothers lit up when describing working with him and the genuine excitement that I think any musician would have when working with one of their biggest influences was undeniable on their faces. I actually found myself smiling while they told me about it.

I looked to Janne and asked, "Is it difficult working in several bands at the same time?" He said, "No, Warmen is not that active. We would love to be more active. Tuska was our fourth show ever." My eyes widened, "What?!" We all laughed. He continued, "Yeah, we didn't expect this great of a response." The response was indeed great. When we went to watch the set earlier in the day, you couldn't get under the giant canopy they had set up. It was as if Warmen was a legendary act and the main stage would have been a better option for them because everyone at Tuska wanted to see them.

I knew time was running low and my hand was not used to the archaic style of writing with a pen so I asked my final and most important question. "What do you want the legacy of Warmen to be? When all is said and done, how do you want it to be remembered?"

After a short pause Antti responded, "No legacy, because we will continue on forever!" We all laughed, then Janne continued, "I love where we are going. I love playing with my brother." He went on to describe how his brother is one of the top guitar players in the world and how the likes of several guitar giants i.e. Alexi Laiho agree. "I play in Children of Bodom, I know my guitar shit." he added with a laugh.

I had to know from Antti, "Do you ever feel there is a lot of pressure on you to be that great when your brother plays with Alexi and other amazing guitar players are watching?" He thought about if for a moment and responded, "Kind of, yeah." Both brothers agreed that there is a certain pressure that comes with playing music at that level and from my point of view Antti seemed to be extremely modest about his ability. But with praises from some of the Finnish greats, it's hard to deny that he is one of the up and coming guitar heroes of Finland.

I asked if there was anything they wanted to add to the interview and Janne answered immediately. "I would love to thank you because we are not that known in the U.S.," as he pointed at me. They then talked about how they do have a couple of fans there. Antti capped off the conversation, "We want to thank all the US fans. We love you all and we hope to see you at a show someday."

We got up and took some pictures as you see here in this post, and talked a bit more about the band and then all agreed it was time for a beer. We went our separate ways and I was left with a feeling of pride in the Finnish metal scene and how they stick together and support one another... pride that metal heads who come from even as large a band as Children of Bodom could be so humble... but most of all, I felt satisfied in knowing that the Wirman brothers are so happy creating music together and have the full support of the tight-knit metal scene here in the metal holy land.

Warmen is definitely worth a listen. All four albums are very different, each with its own personality and a new set of guest musicians. Check out their music online and if you like it, let them know. And let us know here at SkullsNBones!

Source, including pics: http://www.skullsnbones.com/profiles/blogs/tuska-2010-coverage-warmen
Interviewer messed up teh Pasi's :lol:

I didn't catch it when I saw Amelie Lund's Tuska pics on warmen.org for the first time, but... it does seem as if Mr. Laiho was in desperate need of a gentle breeze underneath :p

87257369.jpg

A Tuska review:

After watching W.A.S.P.´s excellent concert time was tight to see Warmen. I just headed for Inferno Stage to burn a bit watching their concert. The 10-year-old Janne Wirman´s band (Children of Bodom) has finally started to be part of festivals and I really hope they start touring now. I wrote a review about them a couple of months ago, telling a bit of their story and how the concert is, I don´t have much to add here since the band is still on the same ”moment” if I can say so. You can check it out here: http://www.hardblast.com/resenha/review-warmen.asp

Timo Kotipelto, Joona Gaegea, Passi Rantanen and Alexi Laiho were the guests. Kotipelto did fine but was not in one of his best days. I kind of understand it because besides the really awful hit in that tent, it was quite foggy too, mixing the special effects smoke (I hate it) and the dust in the air, since the venue was a park and of course it gets dusty when people are all the time coming and going. There is nothing worst to a singer´s voice than this kind of situation, and it was nobody´s fault of course, it was just too hot and too dusty.

Joona Gaegea sang two songs, did a great job with her rockish voice, Passi Rantanen also sang well although he was looking pretty uncomfortable (I believe by the same reason as Kotipelto´s) and Alexi Laiho this time did an excellent participation. It was funny to see, though, how different he was. First of all, the opened flowered shirt, the bandana, the cap and the sun glasses gave him a hard rock singer appearance (”Axl Rose wanna be”, hehehe), second, he was totally loose and nice. Charismatic as usual, talkative and smiling. I don´t even remember to hear him saying bad words! In a positive way it was funny, Warmen is not Bodom and it´s very important to show this difference to the audience. I just thought it was somehow weird to see Alexi ”wild child” Laiho acting like a nice good boy.

But we have to see that Warmen played at 16:45 so, the wasted feeling would not suit well there. The band was great as usual. Antti Wirman´s solos sound every time better and if he goes on playing better and better like this, he will become a monster, this guy kicks ass! Janne was also perfect and this is not news, talkative, smiling and having more fun that anybody else on stage. The perfect interaction between him and his brother Antti have to be always mentioned in any review because it is really great to see them together on stage. Warmen´s Tuska lineup was: Antti Wirman (guitar), Janne Wirman (keys), Jaakko Teittinen (also on the guitars), Jyri Helko (bass) and Mirka Rantanen (drums).

warmen1.jpg

Source: http://hard-blast.blogspot.com/

And the review from the Dante's show:

Warmen´S 10 Anniversary – Dante´S Highlight – Helsinki, 18th of February, 2010
By: Maila-Kaarina pictures:: www.spinefarm.fi (studio pics), Jonna (live pics)

What the hell is so special in a 3-concert-band?
Well...if you know a bit of their history you may understand it, if not, you just should, ´cause we´re talking about the side project of a very funny and cool guy who is also a keyboards wizard: Janne Wirman from Children of Bodom.

Janne started Warmen 10 years ago in order to ”put his musical inspiration to life”, as you can read in the band´s bio on their website http://www.warmen.org, and it seems to be working since their fourth album, ”Japanese Hospitality”, came out in 2009 and immediately got the 36th position in the Finnish album chart.

And what´s really interesting here is not only the music itself but the variety of influences you can find in them. Typical Finnish power metal? Yes and no. Let´s try to get out of the label thing, right? You can really see many different influences and however there is a lot of power metal present there, you have to open your mind to listen to Warmen´s CDS for one simple reason: if there is a tendency, it will surely be changed and broken, if not by next song, surely after the second next – you can use as example the covers they play, each album has a cover version and the selection contains: ”Alone” (Heart), ”Separate Ways” (Journey), ”Black Cat” (Janet Jackson) and ”Somebody´s Watching Me” (Rockwell).

Talking about Warmen as a band is quite difficult though, due to so many line-up changes (only Janne and his brother Antti Wirman are steady members). Another curious fact is that they don´t work with a leading singer, all four albums count on at least 2 or 3 different vocalists as special guests. Some of them? Children of Bodom´s Alexi Laiho (of course!), Timo Kotipelto (Stratovarius) and Kimberly Goss (Synergy), among others I´ll mention further.

Warmen songs take turns between instrumental and sung tracks and analyzing the instrumental ones you surely walk on the power & prog metal path, with very virtuous songs full of great solos - more than expected when you see the duo Janne and Antti on stage. Actually, this has to be mentioned: the fact of being Janne´s brother is meaningless to justify Antti´s being in the band since he is an OUTSTANDING guitarist (at the moment his getting ready for an American tour as supporting guitarist for the Finnish band Survivor Zero on tour with Finntroll, Moonsorrow and Swallow the Sun).

Songs led by Kotipelto on vocals, as expected, go through the same path but less prog and more power with some traditional heavy metal pops. A very good Finnish singer who is not yet well known by the audience outside this country but deserves all attention as a guest here is Joona Gaegea (Joona´s Problem) with her hard rock voice. We can feel in her singing the influence of some great vocalists as Ann Wilson (Heart), Bonnie Tyler and Melissa Etheridge, changing completely the direction to a modern hard rock. And what about Alexi Laiho? Of course he brings the sarcasm with his screaming graspy voice.

Unfortunately, seeing these guys alive is very difficult but fortunately, I was lucky enough to do it on the band´s 10th anniversary, that happened in Helsinki at my favorite bar and concert hall: Dante´s Highlight, on the 18th of February.

But why only 3 concerts in 10 years?
Well, as mentioned, Warmen is a side project. Something Janne needs to put out his artistic expression doing something different from what he does with Children of Bodom. It´s a serious work but meant mainly for this purpose. Since Bodom is a mainstream band, always on the road and producing new stuff, it´s difficult for Janne to set Warmen as priority however they have just signed contract with the biggest booking agency of Finland, King Foo Entertainment, in charge for most of the mainstream metal bands of the country and maybe, from 2010 on, we´ll be able to see more concerts, perhaps even around the world, but while it doesn´t happen, you can follow the news by their website.

The concert started quite late for a Thursday (actually it was already Friday ´cause they got on stage after midnight) but Dante´s Highlight was crowded. The place is big and there were over 500 people to be part of this great party which was also a welcome greet for the Finnish Metal Expo, which started on the 19th.

They got on stage playing ”Japanese Hospitality”, from the 2009 homonym album and the line-up counted on Janne and Antti, of course, Jaakko Teittinen (also on the guitars), Jyri Helko (bass) and Mirka Rantanen (drums). Next song, ”Eye of the Storm”, from the same album, sang by the first guest of the evening, Mr. Kotipelto, who also sang ”Spark” (Beyond Abilities, 2002). Then one more instrumental track, more booze for Antti - since the audience knows he won´t stop drinking while his glass is full, whenever a song stops, somebody comes with a full glass of something to ”feed” him.

In fact, there are full glasses all over the stage for all of them. But you know, this is something Finns can do, they drink like hell and play even better the drunker they get. Next guest, the gorgeous Joona Gaegea singing one of my Warmen favorite songs, from the album Accept the fact, 2005, ”They All Blame”. ”Goodbye”, from the most recent album came after and then, Alone, Heart cover which was previously recorded by Kimberly Goss. More instrumental with ”Evil that Warmen Do” and one more guest: the dinosaur (just kidding, Antti!) Pasi Rantanen singing ”My Fallen Angel” (Japanese Hospitality), ”Lying Delilah” (Accept the Fact, 2005) and Journey cover ”Separate Ways”.

Last guest of the night and the most expected for me: Alexi Laiho. Alexi sings the song that made Warmen known in Finland, Rockwell´s cover ”Somebody´s Watching Me”, recorded in Accept the Fact. I was in Finland at that time also and this song would play on the radio at least 10 times a day. I have to say that the choice for Alexi on vocals was very smart. His graspy screechy voice added to a very funny and sarcastic way of singing gives the lyrics and the song a perfect interpretation. You can´t even feel it as a cover, it´s so theirs... But what to expect when putting Laiho as the last guest at almost 2 am?

Well, the perfect closing that couldn´t be given by anybody else. Why not?

He seemed to be a little drunk and forgot the lyrics, started verses in the wrong moment and if I write technically about his participation I can´t say it was good at all. But c´mon!!!! It´s Alexi Laiho, one of the most charismatic young vocalists I´ve ever seen on stage. This guy´s got a leading soul and when he´s there it doesn´t matter, he does whatever he wants and will surely put you in the mood. Alexi screwed up? A little but he knew that and even said it on the mic starting to laugh right after, and what was the result? A very funny finale that pissed me off a bit just because I was expecting him to sing ”Don´t Bring her Here” and he didn´t...but it´s OK. He ran around the stage, talked to the audience, and immediately started to command the moment. I dare to say that Janne Wirman and Alexi Laiho are the best partners of the nowadays metal scene, they complete each other on stage amazingly. I cannot say it was Laiho´s best performance but I have to say it was very funny and made everybody laugh.

This was the end, beautiful friend... and participating on this party was a great thing. I hope 10 more years come out for this great band. Janne, keep on doing it, please!

Hard Blast thanks Antti Wirman and Joakim Holmström for the V.I.P, and just to keep the mood...Janne, vai tomar no cu!!!! hahahaha (internal joke, I could´t handle).

warmen-4.jpg

http://www.hardblast.com/resenha/review-warmen.asp

I know I'm late as hell, but I discovered this really great vid from the Dante's show just yesterday and thought I could share it as well:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Jonna btw, Joona is a male name.

Haha and I just remembered back in '06 she was singing some weird concert for the military service and I told comrades to shout "take your shirt off," she thought we were naughty soldiers.

WARMEN – Hit The Lights

by carl on Feb.25, 2011, under On The Inside
By Carl Begai
I recently caught up with Children Of Bodom keyboardist Janne Wirman to pick his brain about the band’s new album, Relentless Reckless Forever. As things came to a close we followed up our October 2009 conversation (found here) about his other band, Warmen, and their most recent album, Japanese Hospitality…
“Warmen is weird because it’s this side side project project thing (laughs), so I really don’t know how well the album did,” says Wirman. “We had a lot of fun doing Japanese Hospitality and that was the whole point. We did some shows, which was great, and the Tuska Festival gig (in Helsinki) was amazing. I never thought that we would have the tent full of people, and the reaction of the crowd was great. It was a lot of fun on stage.”
Meaning that if Children Of Bodom stay off the road long enough to make it feasible, it’s possible that Warmen will hit the road on a support tour…
“I really hope so. I’m going to be busy with touring this year with Children Of Bodom, but we’ve got a bunch of songs written for a new album, and we had so much fun on stage that we’re really hoping we can play more live. I have some inside information that say Bodom isn’t very busy this summer with festivals, and there might be some free time at the end of the year as well. We’ll see what happens.”
“I like where Warmen is going now,” Wirman adds. “It’s kind of finding its place, and what we’re working on now is kind of where we left off with the previous album.”
For the immediate future, Wirman will spend the rest of the year on the road with Children Of Bodom. In discussing their tour plans, Wirman has a question of his own:
“Do you know about my drink ordering light system?”
Can’t say that I do…
“I have these buttons on my keyboard now where I can order drinks from my technician. I press one button and a yellow light goes on, that means I need a fresh beer (laughs), hen the red light goes on I need a vodka drink, and for the upcoming tour we’re going to add some more buttons and lights so I can order different mixed drinks. It’s awesome (laughs).”
Check out my interview with Wirman about Reckless Relentless Forever on the official BW&BK wesbite here.

jajaja I LOVE Janne talking about more live shows :D

Hehehe.. I just love the thing with the buttons with the different lights for drinks :rofl:
It sounds awesome haha..

I hope Warmen is going to do some more shows :) But the t-shirt that said 2000-2010 world tour and only three gigs was also very cool haha..

^thank you! We're totally looking forward to your new stuff!

Ehm, regarding the pics - didn't you forget to mention the "...more to come"-part ...? :tickled:

Edit: No, you didn't! Reading what someone else wrote is a good idea sometimes. Can't wait :)