New Waves Q-Clone plugin

Mulder

Blacksmith Apprentice
Sep 28, 2004
Yurp
Hello all,

Have a look at This.

It's a new eq from Waves, allthough not a real one.
It works like a convolutionreverb like Altiverb or Pristinespace, it samples your outboard eqsettings or any eq you feed it via a sensekeyinput. You can tweak it realtime or load presets, and one outboard eq can 'feed' a whole bunch of QClones in your mix.

a Useful preset for this community could be something like "Andys_Metric_SonorRackTomEQ" :cool:

It works like this (from the Wavessite):

"Even the most well-equipped studios have a limited supply of outboard EQs, which limits the channels you can put them on. That limitation disappears with Q-Clone. It’s like opening a closet and finding stacks and stacks (e.g. up to 24 instances of Q-Clone on a Mac G5 dual 2.5 with Pro Tools or 25 instances of Q-Clone on PC P4 3.6 with Pro Tools) of your favorite box—enough for every channel and more.

Put Q-Capture on an Aux track or dedicated audio track (depending on the DAW). Put Q-Clone on any of the other tracks that you want to process with your hardware EQ."

You can run the QClone in Cubase/Nuendo and a high-end RTAS/TDM eqplugin (Oxford,Metric) on another (small) machine and clone it's behaviour.

In Cubase/Nuendo you don't need 25 instances since you can freeze everything.

Another step closer to great sound on ye lowly homecomputer!

i got to check out Q clone first hand at the Waves booth at NAMM. Kazrog (Shane) and i were passing the Waves booth and we saw the poster for it... i made a guess that it worked be feeding a sine wave into the input of the hardware eq you'd be modeling and that you'd have to sweep the pots while the softare analyzed the results... i was dead on as it turned out. not hard to figure out though is it? seems like a pretty impressive plug, but you'll need access to some good outboard eq to take advantage of it'

James Murphy said:
i got to check out Q clone first hand at the Waves booth at NAMM. Kazrog (Shane) and i were passing the Waves booth and we saw the poster for it... i made a guess that it worked be feeding a sine wave into the input of the hardware eq you'd be modeling and that you'd have to sweep the pots while the softare analyzed the results... i was dead on as it turned out. not hard to figure out though is it? seems like a pretty impressive plug, but you'll need access to some good outboard eq to take advantage of it'
Did the folks in the booth mention if they'll package it with some sampled gear presets?

egan. said:
Did the folks in the booth mention if they'll package it with some sampled gear presets?

you know... that would've been a good question to ask.

they didn't mention it though.

In addition to capturing your own equalizers, Q-Clone comes with a library of equalization presets captured from world-class hardware equalizers made by such companies as Neve, GML, and Pultec. Plus, there will be a section of the Waves website where users can post their own captured processor characteristics, much as is the case with Waves' IR convolution reverberation series...

taken from: http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM05/Content/Waves/PR/Q-Clone.html

fabz said:
In addition to capturing your own equalizers, Q-Clone comes with a library of equalization presets captured from world-class hardware equalizers made by such companies as Neve, GML, and Pultec. Plus, there will be a section of the Waves website where users can post their own captured processor characteristics, much as is the case with Waves' IR convolution reverberation series...

taken from: http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM05/Content/Waves/PR/Q-Clone.html
Awesome, thanks.