Newbie mix

Dec 10, 2012
Washington, DC
Hi guys,

I'm just barely getting into the whole recording thing, so I'm not under the illusion that this will sound good, much less listenable haha. But I thought I would post a brief clip of a doomy post metal song I've been working on to get some feedback on where I should focus. I'm running my guitars through POD Farm on one track and the LePou LeGion on the other, panned 80 L-R and 50 L-R, respectively. The drums are the default EZDrummer drums with some FX on them to make them sound tighter; I'm going to get DFH in a couple of weeks when I have more cash on hand. I feel like the guitars sound messy, despite my having EQ'd them and put a multiband compressor on top of both.

What general recommendations do you have, drum samples aside? I'm just not sure where to go from here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like your guitars are totally mono. You'll want to hard-pan the rhythms. Drums sound like the stock EZD preset, they could use some compression and multiband EQ-ing to get some life and tone out of them. The mix overall needs mastering to glue everything together.