NForce4 pro audio

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
Hi
I'm thinking to buy a Presonus Firepod but I've just read there are problems with NForce 4 chipset based pc.
Besides, the guy who wants to sell me the firepod told me that he's selling it because it doesn't work with nforce4...
The point: this chipset gives to pci-express a big amount of system bandwith and the usb,firewire etc... can use less bandwitch.
My pc have NForce4 chipset but I have an integrated graphic card so, I don't know if pci-e is used.
A solution should be to buy a fw400 pci-e firewire with texas instruments chip
I know there are some pc users here (expecially amd users... Oznibus, Wolfeman) and I want to know if you have some problems with your system (if you have nforce4)
Thanks

I'd buy a seperate Firewire card anyway, and TI is the way to go for best audio performance.

I've had all sorts of trouble getting my Liquid Mix and Saffire Pro running as they both require their own firewire card to work seamlessly.

The problem seems to be the power of graphic card...more power - less system bandwitch available.
I have an integrated card so...it use probably less bandwitch..I hope
The firewire card have to be pci-express to work fine and with less problems..
Do you know some good FW card pci-e?

You can run into problems with integrated video as well if you use Waves plugins....especially the SSL stuff. They supposedly require at least 128 meg of video ram.

I had a NForce4 system for a year until I got sick of the performance issues and upgraded to an all-intel system which does the business beautifully.

No as I had to use my single PCI-E slot for the graphics card to run the Waves SSL plugs. I had no problems with other Waves plugs, just the SSL as the GUI meters on the plug require more video RAM.

When I used integrated video + the SSL, I had major issues with crackle and dropouts. As soon as I switched to pci-e graphics that problem was solved as the system was no longer shitting itself because of the video issues.

I basically got sick of running out of system resources on bigger projects running the NForce4 system (AMD 64 3400+ and 2 Gigs of RAM). I had a much lower spec AMD system before it that outperformed it in terms of tracks/plugs, so built a Dual-Core all Intel system and have had no problems to date.

I don't have pci-e graphic card and with integrated I have no problem with Waves. With Sonar I had a graphic problem but I have fixed it changing window's gui settings.
I hope firepod will works without problems if I'll use pci-e firewire card :\ ....because the pc is new :\ :\ :\