NI Guitar Rig - Impressive ?

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
I just went to a buddies place and he bought himself the new NI Guitar Rig setup for his Sonar 4 Rig ....

After going and playing around with it for a few hours I am throughly convinced its an AMAZING plugin. I truely feel it blows ampfarm out of the water.

The tweakability on its own is AMAZING and the Rectofier model sounds EXACTLY like the real thing....

Anyone else try it ??

If so what do you think ??

Da Fukn Guru

Hey guru, nice to see you here too :p

We used guitar 1.2 on our demo, don't know if you heard it or not.
Imho, it sucks. But all of them do according to me hehe. I think you'd be better of getting an pod xt for the job. less noise

I think that Guitar Rig is amazing as far as tweakability, but I would never use it for final tracks. I have found it to be great on keyboards and vocals, as well as clean guitar sounds. For high gain stuff, you're better off with POD XT, and even better off with an SM57 on your high gain tube amp!

Actually finding a tone on Guitar Rig is a bit unconventional. Instead of pulling a great high-gain sound great from the get-go, by pulling up a recto amp and cab, you need to mix stompboxes, cabinets, mics etc. and blend each one's voicing to create the final sound. For metal that final sound is always mediocre, from what I've heard. I just haven't been able to pull any sounds at all that I've been happy with on GR.

I mean, it pulls some nice clean electric and overdriven simulations, but it still sounds just like that... an emulation - so thin and brittle.

i was not impressed with the sound of the guitar rig either but i came up with some good sounds by recording with the tube preamp of the POD and then using the cabs and mics of the Guitar rig

try this - you may find it interesting

I had decent results using the preamp out of my 6505+ head and running it into Guitar Rig's speaker simulation. But at that point you might as well mic the cab and it will sound better.

yeah, I've been using guitar rig with my gt-6.
I like the freedom of guitar rig's cab section, but there are sooo many combinations you can tweak forever and not really get anywhere :loco:

anyway, here are my results :ill:
... you all know the riff :p

http://home.iprimus.com.au/grevill/temporary/gt6_guitar_rig-lydia01.mp3
http://home.iprimus.com.au/grevill/temporary/gt6_guitar_rig-lydia02.mp3
http://home.iprimus.com.au/grevill/temporary/gt6_guitar_rig-lydia03.mp3
http://home.iprimus.com.au/grevill/temporary/gt6_guitar_rig-test_riff.mp3

They teamed up with PRS - nice... I love those guitars. What looks promising there is their little interface box. It seems like a proper electric guitar DI, that could probably get sold individually, in case people wanna use it with other amp sims.

That Waves amp simulation sounds horrible. I am open minded and willing to blame the guitarist and the mix engineer, but it sounds paper thin and very fake/digital.

I'll try their demo later and post my thoughts.

Kazrog said:
That Waves amp simulation sounds horrible. I am open minded and willing to blame the guitarist and the mix engineer, but it sounds paper thin and very fake/digital.

I'll try their demo later and post my thoughts.

I hope you have an i-lok dongle, because the demo won't run without it. Waves must already have enough customers, because clearly they're not looking for any new ones. :err:
So far, I've heard that Waves' GTR can't really be pushed into super-duper-high-gain stuff, but it also never sounds too fake, which is interesting. A common property of Amplitube, NI's GR, and all the other soft amp sims is that the harder you push them, the faker the sound. Get some real gain going, and suddenly it sounds like a swarm of bees has found its way between your cab and your mic. Apparently, GTR never attracts bees, but as I've said, word on the street is that it can't be driven that hard. However, what "driven that hard" actually means remains unclear to me; the four or five people whom I've talked to about it also claim to "not like high gain tones anyway", so I don't know if they're certain about what type of sound they're trying to get. If anyone here knows a thing or two about metal tones and also has an i-lok dongle, please share your findings!

And about Native Instruments' Guitar Rig; I like it, despite the aforementioned "bees" phenomenon. The main problem with it is that you really have to forget about real amplifiers while you're using it; even though the thing on the screen looks like a Mesa, and there's a TS in front of it, dialing in your favorite settings from the real thing just won't give you a similar sound. It's better to just start messing around, and becoming familiar with what does what, and what knob affects the sound in what way. It's an extremely open system, and there's a lot of options, and it takes a long time to really get a handle on what's going on with the tone. With proper listening, and some real experimentation in the "cabs & mics" section (especially with the mic positons and phase settings, which can help eliminate the BEES), you can indeed get a fairly usable tone.

Also, Amplitube 2 is on the way, sometime in the next few months. I hated Amplitube 1, and I think NI's GR smokes it, but ever since IK started development on 2, they've been stressing how hard they're working to get the high-gain stuff right. Every now and again a developer will drop in on their forums and describe what they've been doing to ensure natural sounding "breakup", avoiding that "brittle" sound that soft amps have... things like that. It could be marketing hype, but it seems to me that a developer out there finally realized that people want freakin' metal, and that nobody is catering to them. I at least think they're on the right track with their philosophy of not so much trying to make a product that sounds exactly like a specific amp, but rather try to make a product that just sounds good. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

The best uses I've found for Amplitube and Guitar Rig have not been on guitars, but instead on bass and keys. I never ever use plugin amp simulators on guitars, but quite often use them on bass, keys, vox, and drums. PSA-1(Sansamp), Amp Farm, and Amplitube are fantastic for that kind of stuff, imo.