Nice Casting the Stones review by Martin Popoff at HardRadio!

MetalSteph

Sep 14, 2001
HardReviews 2
by Martin Popoff

[font=arial, helvetica]Jag Panzer - Casting The Stones
(Century Media) Colorado's Jag Panzer have always used their long, complicated, inscrutably metal history to positive effect, and now regularly touring and with a stable line-up for five albums now, the specific vision is honed even sharper. First off, Jag Panzer is in a class of one, only Nevermore and Eidolon serving as some sort of comparison but still not quite. Casting The Stones possesses a harrowing underground metalness that is somehow, in comparison to the recent stuff, more melodic and triumphant but darker at once, the twin riffing of Broderick and Briody working rhythmically, with spaces, o'er which Broderick solos artfully. Up top, Harry Conklin unites the package with long, soaring notes while the bruising yet hi-fidelity rhythm section of John Tetley and Rikard Stjernquist is uncommonly busy for a traditional metal act. Galloping, trotting, pummeling... Casting The Stones is dirty, level-busting, nearly chaotic, fully fire-breathing traditional metal that manages to let loose with a live feel despite meticulous crafting, which is I guess where the band gets its timeless, non-sterile, "not power metal but power metal" uniqueness.
Rating 8

[/font]​

Mr Blackwell said:
Eidolon??? OK, they have great riffs and very good production, but nowhere near Jag Panzer. And the vocals bore me to death.

Just so you know, Pat Mullock (eidolon's singer) is not in the band anymore. The new singer is Nils K Rue from Pagan's mind. I really think they found the missing element in the band. These guys are gonna rip now!

CauldronBorn said:
Just so you know, Pat Mullock (eidolon's singer) is not in the band anymore. The new singer is Nils K Rue from Pagan's mind. I really think they found the missing element in the band. These guys are gonna rip now!

OK, so that's singer number three now? I hope he's better than his two predecessors. If so, their next CD should be awesome :)
But, hey, wait a moment! Hasn't Glen Drover just joined Megadeth?

Mr Blackwell said:
OK, so that's singer number three now? I hope he's better than his two predecessors. If so, their next CD should be awesome :)
But, hey, wait a moment! Hasn't Glen Drover just joined Megadeth?

Indeed, you are right. Glen is in Megadeth now, so it will be a long time before they release the next album (unless he already recorded his guitar parts). As for the new singer, I have heard great things about him, and I do have to agree that the 2 other singers were horrible. I saw the band live in April, and the singer was really really bad, totally off key. With Nils on vocals, things should be better.