Nice, simple rock mix. Real drums, guitar, bass, etc.

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
Here's a production I did for a local band recently. Just finished up the mix/master tonight.

Supposed To Be (Radio Edit)

Natural drums, but there is a little stacky-stack on the snare just for a bit more smack. It comes in and out of the mix depending on the part. Kick and toms are totally real. There's quite a bit of automation on the overheads and rooms...the hihat was a beast and couldn't be tamed through mic position alone.

Guitars were various Fender, EBMM and PRS baritones through a Marshall DSL100, and a Randall MTS with Plexi and SL+ modules into a Bogner Uberkab. AKG414, SM57 and 421 summed "to tape." There are a total of 6 rhythm tracks, 3 on each side, and two "sludge" tracks. The sludge tracks are basically a few fuzz and dirt boxes cranked into a distorted amp. They're not really audible in the mix, but as soon as they're pulled out, the guitars loose a lot of weight. It's a nice trick for slower rock tracks.

The bass was a Geddy Lee Jazz. Sansamp Bass DI and the ProTools Sansamp plugin.

Lead vocals were tracked with an Audio Technica AT4033a into a Neve Portico and Teletronix LA2A hitting the peaks. All mults and backing vocals (including the gangs) were done through the same chain, but with the AKG 414 replacing the 4033a. The 4033a just fit the singer's voice the best for leads out of the 4 mics we tried.

All clean guitar was done with Overloud TH2 with a PRS Custom 22 and a Gibson Explorer.

Critique the hell out of it, guys!

Also, if you like this kick and snare, you can purchase the samples at the link in my sig.

Thanks!

Sounds awesome really! I love it! That bass tone sits perfectly. Great mix and very good song/musicians.

Thanks man! Yea, I will always advocate using a Jazz Bass on nearly any style of music. It's ridiculous how easy they are to fit into a mix.